Cheaper Than Dirt

Discussion in 'Company Review Forum' started by John_Deer, Oct 8, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Cheaper than Dirt had the Hi Point 995TS carbines on sale for $224 plus $10 shipping. It was a good deal so I ordered one of the carbines. My FFL was listed but he changed the name on his license from his name to the name of his business. He runs a pawn shop.

To make a long story short he faxed in his FFL information 3 times. Twice I was standing there watching him. Cheaper than Dirt kept sending me messages saying they never received his information. You cannot call CTD to find out what is going on. They can call you. Finally I got tired of dealing with the chat box and swapping email. I cancelled the order on the carbine.

I learned an important lesson. If a company has no phone number to resolve minor issues do not buy anything from them.

I was already angry with CTD for the rimfire gouging they have done lately. It did not hurt my feelings a bit to cancel that order. I am done with cheaper than dirt. You cannot put a price on aggravation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

This is the pattern with so many businesses. Some Investor finds a business making a lot of sales and good profits and buys it. They then proceed to change the business plan and shortchange their Customer base with bad marketing, higher pries and poor customer service. Once they drive the business, into the ground they sell it off to someone else that merges it with their own business and the company that we all went to when we wanted stuff, is completely gone or unrecognizable. Hedge Funds are big into it now. Look at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, And all the rest. Poor er products and higher prices etc. Once they fail to make their percentage by poor operation and bad business plan, they are sold again or out of business.

3. AR10

AR10 New Member

If the names do not match, as an FFL dealer, I would blow you off as well. Life is too short to have fricked up FFL paperwork. Not their fault.

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

5. hmh

hmh New Member

Between ammo gouging and the voluntary ban on so called assault weapons until it effected there bottom dollar I will not deal with CTD

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

He sent a copy of his FFL and the paperwork CTD provides to verify his new FFL and my order. Then we cannot call CTD to get this matter straightened out. They keep calling when I am away from the phone. Then they will not reply to our email. He sent the paperwork with his FFL information and my invoice again. Nothing but an email I need to select an FFL.

Other businesses will have a phone so he can call to see what the problem might be if there is a problem at all.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Out of curiosity did you try their live chat?

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't fax anything you care about, if you are unable to make a follow up call. Email it as an attachment instead. You can scan it once and keep on file.

It is not the best business practice, but they would probably tell you it keeps their prices lower. Like warehouse shopping.

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

CTD is anything but.

Awful business to deal with.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Yes, they need to live chat with the FLL. I gave them his phone number to get the matter straight. They want to deal by email. I do not have his email info. Cut out the middleman and call him yourself, nothing can be lost in translation.

With CTD if the FFL is not on their list it is hard to business with them. Some of the FFLs they had listed charge $75 for a transfer. They see a transfer as making a sale and that is what they need to make.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  11. JTJ

Sounds like a serious case of mismanagement. I found their shipping charges to be outrageous so I do not deal with them.

12. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

Wow great prices
    I think I found my next place of purchase.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If CDNN has it in stock. I had bad experiences with CDNN. They send out these flyers but they have none of the stuff in stock. I have wanted to buy a lot of from CDNN but it does not exist.

14. JTJ

Last purchase from CDNN was a week ago. It was in stock and I had it in 3 days. Surprised me to get it so quick.

15. indy36

indy36 New Member

I've bought a gun or two from them. Never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Maybe CDNN is better since they have a live website instead of the stupid flyers they sent out.

17. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

John buddy, I can also recommend these guys; http://www.classicfirearms.com/ ... I bought a Radom PPS43c from them and they had it delivered to my FFL in 3 days. OH, and I ordered a parts kit for the same from these guys yesterday; http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ and I just got an email this afternoon that they shipped it UPS today.

...and yes, after that last panic CTD and Wallyworld are on my forever $h*tlist also.

18. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

They've got some decent prices on a few military surplus items I'd like. However, I will not be spending money there. They can waste money by sending me their catalogs, though.

19. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

...Did I hear you say "military surplus" ???? http://www.keepshooting.com/
    ;)

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to do a lot of business with CTD, many years ago. On an order, they did something that I considered very shady. It cost me, maybe ten dollars, it cost them business for a lifetime. I wouldn't buy ten dollar bills from them at five dollars apiece, and I never miss a chance to tell others the same.

Good move CTD!