Cheaper than Dirt 30 round mag

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by 12fretter, Nov 5, 2011.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Won't feed at all using Winchester 555 from Wally World. I realize you get what you pay for, but has anyone had any success with these mags with different ammo?

BTW, firing a stock Ruger 10-22.

Thanks.

2. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

No, does your magazine have plastic feed lips? Is so that is most likely your problem. You may want to look at Alangator TriMag. Connects the of your stock 10/22 rotary mags. Allowing you to carry thirty rounds on your gun. You can find them online if just over $10, oh and there made in America.

3. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I just got back from the range and I think I see the problem...sort of. First, yes, it's all plastic. But I think it actually goes into the gun too far. The slide gets stuck and never can connect to the round to chamber it. As I was trying to rack a round, I was simultaneously releasing the mag and slightly pulling it out when poof....the round got racked. Of course, a split second later, the mag was in my hand. I'm cool with throwing these things away and starting over, but if anyone has a simple fix for this, I'd be more than happy to try it.

4. BLUNTTrauma72

BLUNTTrauma72 New Member

12fretter-maybe a dremil with a small fine grit sanding wheel,kind of a cut-to-fit deal

5. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

But what do I cut? There is a ridge that I shaved almost completely off with a knife, but it didn't help.

I think I need to try and take some fine pictures of it and see if I can show it.

6. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

If you do manage to shave down the feed lip so everything fits flush, eventually the plastic will wear down and Fail to feed once again. Pick youeself up a trimag ,you will not be disappointed.

7. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Hey there fretter,
    Just wanted to drop back in and let you know that I recently picked up a 30 round banana clip for my 10/22 with steel feed lips for $20 from ammunitiontogo.com
    Works perfectly, no complaints and it will last unlike those with plastic lips.
    Definitely worth looking into it your still have FT problems.

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, it's a common problem. The only aftermarket high capacity 10-22 magazine that is reliable other than the new Ruger 25-round mag. is the Butler Creek Steel Lip 25-round mag.. You need to make sure you get the steel feed lips if you want it to feed reliably. Even Butler Creek has a cheaper brand called Hot Lips that are plastic and aren't worth crap. The BC Steel Lips go for $15-20. I've got a bunch of them and they all work great. :cool:

Tactical Innovations make some good ones too, but their prices a way higher.

9. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Awesome thanks. Do you have the name brand you got? I'll order them today.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger makes their own 25 rnd mags for the 10-22. A lot better than aftermarket. Go to the Ruger website or CDNN.

11. somawas

somawas New Member

I've got a couple of 30 round plastic 10/22 magazines from Cheaper than Dirt-the cheap ones that go for $8.97, CTD #MAG-416. Have not experienced any feed problems that can be traced to the magazine. I've learned long ago when you buy "cheap", and the ones I bought are cheap, you get what you pay for. If "ANY" issues arise from these mags that can't be fixed/ resolved, I'll simply pitch them and maybe consider buying a better quality 30 round magazine. Also, since I installed a Timney Trigger Block with modified magazine release, the ten round magazine change-out cease to be any issue at all.

12. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Those are the same ones I have and have not been able to fire a single round with. Headed for the trash heap. New ones on order.

13. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

They are shooters ridge 30 rd mags steel headers/feed lips