Cheap Vs. Expensive Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by zstei001, Jan 17, 2013.

1. zstei001

zstei001 New Member

Hello All!

I have been shooting for a while with my father and various friends, and I have finally decided to purchase my first shotgun. It's primarily for home defense, and I will use it occasionally for skeet and target shooting. I'm planning to get an 18-18.5" barrel, 12 gauge.

My question is: Is it okay to buy an inexpensive shotgun (~$200-250), or should I go for a more expensive shotgun (~$500-600)? I don't have too much money to spend on it, but at the same time I don't want to throw away $250 on a shotgun that will be junk and not reliable. After all, if someone breaks into my house, I need to feel 100% confident that when I pull the trigger, the gun will fire.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts or guidance on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

zstei001

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I bought used Remington 870's, 1 is an Express, the other a Wingmaster, used, $250 ea

3. zstei001

zstei001 New Member

Do you know what they retailed for? Have they been pretty reliable for you?

4. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

no.... no....... no.
    when will you guys learn?
    if you want a hd gun, get a hd gun.
    if you want to shoot skeet, get a skeet gun.

you dont wear combat boots to a ballroom dance.

trust me, skeet guns for 500.00 are not expensive guns. some go for well over 3-5,000.00 to start. the typical semi auto skeet gun goes for around 1800 now.

an expensive gun is expensive so it will last about 10 to 20,000 rounds a year fired, to maybe 25 rounds a year in hd use.

you really need to decide because if you get one to occasionaly use for skeet, youll wear it out at skeet and it wont work when you need it for hd.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. zstei001

zstei001 New Member

Well my point was that I'm not exactly rolling in cash, and my priority is keeping myself and my family safe from home intruders, but I also love to shoot skeet. So, I'm buying a shotgun best suited for killing people at close range, but I don't see a problem with taking to shoot a little skeet occasionally.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Get an 870 with a 28" barrel and then buy an additional 18.5" barrel for like 120 bucks and interchange them. 870's are about 3-400 around here (oklahoma) new depending where you go and what not

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

8. orangello

orangello New Member

This is the right idea for the man on a budget, a twofer. My Mossberg 500 came with a bird barrel (28" modified choke) that was easily replaced with a 18.5" home security barrel.

If you really get into killing clays, somebody will probably take pity and sell you a better clay killing gun that they are moving up from.

9. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I agree. Whatever you choose get a second barrel. Shotguns are very versatile depending on how you have them set up and load you choose.

10. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

And as far as $$$ get what you can afford from a reputable brand. Guns are a great investment. If you take care of them they will normally be worth more than you paid in a few years. That's what I tell my fiancé anyway.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For what you want you could get by with most any shotgun. Sounds like you would be shooting less than 100 or 200 rounds a year. If so any shotgun should last you for many years. The Remington 870's are great guns but you can get by with less.

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Get your self a used or new mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel then get a 18.5" barrel to go with it and you should be in the 350-400 range by the way I used my 500 turkey gun with a extra full choke and still busted clays with no problem

13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

well, most skeet ranges shy away from 18" bbls for safety.
    if you want to shoot skeet , get a 26 or 28" bbl.
    and if youre not rolling in doe, run now...dont get involved in skeet! itll suck you dry and spit you out.:D
    strongly suggest a used semi auto for an alternative. youll get twice as much gun, for the price of either one of those shoulder bruisers.

honestly, if all you want is hd, get a single shot 75.00 steven crackshot and load it with buck. face it. youll never use it. and one shot is usually all it takes in hd.
    and put the extra bucks in a nice skeet gun to shoot a lot with.

14. zstei001

zstei001 New Member

That's a great idea. I didn't realize I could get a shotgun that cheap. I agree, hopefully I'll never have to use it.

I get the sense from you guys that all barrels on shotguns screw off and are interchangable with other barrels. If this is the case, I was not aware.

Mossberg seems to be a popular choice. I'm really liking the $75 option though right now.

That's good to know. If I had to estimate, I'd say I'll be shooting around 200-300 rounds per year, so about what you were estimating.

Haha, nice. Yeah, I have always heard that the guns hold their value very well if taken care of, but never heard of them going up in value, other than with some famous or limited edition type of gun.

What do you think about the $75 Steven Crackshot?

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

New Wingmasters go for $600-700 new Express is $350? I bought great condition slightly older models as I am not a fan of plastic trigger guards and the like on a shotgun

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I just picked up a semi-auto Mossberg 930 for the exact same reasons. It has a 28" barrel on it, and I'll be getting the 18.5" barrel soon. Cost was $550.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I shoot a lot of clays with a Mossberg 500. I have had my 500C for at least 15 years. I had to put a shell stop in it. Oh tear me out of the frame. I had to put a $10 part in it. Does that mean I should rush out and buy a $2,500 gun? I will probably shoot small game and clays until I die with the 500C.

Back in the day I used to shoot at least 800 rounds a month. When I first started shooting skeet I had a 500A. I broke a couple $10 parts. I did end up getting a Citori. Not because the 500A wasn't getting the job done, I wanted a 28 ga. I have converted the 500A I started shooting skeet with 35 years ago into a dedicated slug gun. It still shoots great.

I have spent a lot of time around skeet ranges. I have seen a lot more expensive guns break that cost hundreds of dollars to repair. I think I will stick with my Mossbergs.

Unless the OP is one of the people that just can't shoot a pump he can get a casual skeet shooting and home defense gun for around $350. Just buy a security combo. He will have a 18.5" barrel for home defense and a 28" barrel for skeet.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  18. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Bought a berretta 302 semi a while back and it's still going great

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Look for a good used Remington 1100 and get an extra 18 inch barrel for it.

20. zstei001

zstei001 New Member

Well after a good bit of consideration, I think I'm going to go with a Mossberg 500. Everywhere online is sold out of basically every gun I've looked at and the local Walmart has the Mossberg 500 for cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else on the internet. Seems like a good buy at $249.

Thanks again for everyone's help!