Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a 1oz Lee slug mold to convert #7 1/2 field loads into "reduced recoil" slugs. I asked about wads before here and didn't get much of a response. I hear a lot of warnings about "messing with the recipe" and just want to make sure these are safe.

To me the physics of it would be similar since the payload is the same weight. and my gun can handle full power 3" shells so, it should be safe right? I'm not expecting any kind of amazing accuracy. Just looking to save a few bones.

Also, since I'm cutting the crimp off, is there a good way to keep the slug seated in the cartridge while still ensuring clean separation of the wad? I've got some paper masking tape over them but I'm halfway convinced they might not feed if I do that...

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Just because the payload weight is the same, does not mean the pressures will be similar. A slug does not compress during firing and shot does. Using a slug in place of shot WILL increase pressures. Difficult to say if it will be dangerous, but you will get higher pressures.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-slug-mold/

Answers that question. Seems it's actually designed for use in a trap hull with a trap wad and similar charge. Now my only concern is if it is wise to shoot them in anything tighter than cylinder bore, as they lack the compression ridges of a store bought "rifled" slug.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
"Now my only concern is if it is wise to shoot them in anything tighter than cylinder bore"
I don't see how you could possibly have a problem shooting these in a tighter choke. I do assume (though I doubt if it makes much difference) that you are using a fairly soft lead alloy.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Now my only concern is if it is wise to shoot them in anything tighter than cylinder bore"
I don't see how you could possibly have a problem shooting these in a tighter choke. I do assume (though I doubt if it makes much difference) that you are using a fairly soft lead alloy.
I'm using whatever came out of the field load. I have no idea what lead they use. In 20 cartridges, I have about 3/4 the volume of a slug in slag. Whatever that tells you.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
We shoot hundreds of these Lee slugs every year. I pour them from WW alloy. I use my MEC 9000 loader with the shot bar turned off. You use a standard trap load and cup wad. The shell is crimped the same as a shot load. The slug is dropped in the wad in place of shot. I use a cylinder bored Win 97. This slug however is made for a rifled shotgun barrel. Most of these forum experts have never loaded a slug. Follow the loading information provided by Lee for these slugs they are the experts.:D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Here is a little article I wrote for the articles section here on this board……bottom line is your fine up to a full choke, beyond that is questionable. They work great from a smooth bore with the trick I mention in the article…..and as Robocop mentioned you will spike pressures by turning shot into a solid projectile. In shotgun reloading you must be careful with this as the cylinders are thin and the spent hull often do not show signs of overpressure till it’s too late and you damage the gun and potentially your face.

Lee Key Drive
http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Casting-and-Reloading-12-Gauge-Slugs.html

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
It seems you are not familiar with shooting "Cut Shells'. I would like for you to post your prove of blowing up guns and faces with these loads.:confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems you are not familiar with shooting "Cut Shells'. I would like for you to post your prove of blowing up guns and faces with these loads.:confused:
Precisely my thought. Or wax slugs. I just thought it better to ask, just in case...

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
I don't know why "cut shells" were introduced -- maybe I missed that. Yes, they can be dangerous.

Spend the extra few pennies to get the right ammo vs. converting another to "a poor man's slug."

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
HockaLouis said:
I don't know why "cut shells" were introduced -- maybe I missed that. Yes, they can be dangerous.

Spend the extra few pennies to get the right ammo vs. converting another to "a poor man's slug."
I agree 100%

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don’t know who you are talking to but I am not talking about cut shells, don't think anyone was......the only thing anyone talked about cutting was the OP cutting the crimp to extract the shot so he could cast them into slugs....in that case a solid projectile will produce more pressure than an equal weight load in shot.....any forum expert would know this simple fact about shot shell reloading….do some learning

We shoot hundreds of these Lee slugs every year. I pour them from WW alloy.

Follow the loading information provided by Lee for these slugs they are the experts.:D
AND since you are such an expert, take your own advice and listen to the experts at Lee.....they clearly state in the literature provided with the 1oz slug mold to only cast with pure lead....not wheel weight alloy.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Except those "few pennies" are actually 100 pennies saved, every time you pull the trigger. It's not like reloading 9mm, where you only save a penny or two.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
tCan said:
Except those "few pennies" are actually 100 pennies saved, every time you pull the trigger. It's not like reloading 9mm, where you only save a penny or two.
How is it 100 pennies saved everytime you pull the trigger considering a cheap box of slugs cost like $3.50....not being a d!ck but I was just wondering

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How is it 100 pennies saved everytime you pull the trigger considering a cheap box of slugs cost like $3.50....not being a d!ck but I was just wondering
Where are you shopping? A box of 5 is $6.

If I convert a field load into a slug, it goes from $1.20 per shot to $0.20 per shot.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
tCan said:
Where are you shopping? A box of 5 is $6.

If I convert a field load into a slug, it goes from $1.20 per shot to $0.20 per shot.
Any Wal mart around my area you can buy winchester super x slugs for $3.50 a box

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not making videos and telling reloaders what to do. And will you provide data where shooting cut shells have ever been a problem? Oh you don't seem to know what cut shells are?:rolleyes:
How do you define cut shells ? What the OP is doing is NOT called cut shells. I am familiar with real cut shells and have shot them when I was about 12 years dumb......I'll wait while you Google and find out what cut shells really are. I stated shot shell reloading FACT. A PEYLOAD OF SHOT WILL HAVE LESS PREASSURE THAN AN EQUAL WEIGHT PAYLOAD OF A SOLID PROJO>>>IE SLUGS. I am not going to argue over common reloading knowledge. You are using the wrong terminology or something has you confused......

Let me save you a Google search, cut shells is the process of taking a loaded shotshells and scoring the plastic, usually with a knife, around the entire diameter of the shell right above the head or brass. When this CUT SHELL is fired the entire hull separates from the head and flies out of the barrel in one piece, simulating a solid projectile....does it work yes, but it is no slug.

The OP is cutting the top off of the shotshell pouring out the shot , casting it into a slug and shoving the slug back into the original hull and using that original charge to propel the slug. Well guess what, he just increased the pressure of the load and if that particular load is already pushing the limit of pressure or the gun isn’t in top condition it COULD be enough to throw it over to dangerous pressure........Damn if you don’t know that than you have no business reloading shot shells on your, or should I say your dad's MEC 9000.....If you need pictures to understand this simple concept than I can’t help you other than maybe brush up on your reading comprehension.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even the Bass Pro Shop in my area doesn't carry slugs.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts