cheap sighting systems...

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by janikphoto, Oct 30, 2008.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I know "you get what you pay for". Let's not debate that old saying... I plan to buy a nice eotech for several hundred dollars when i get a good rifle to put it on. However, my tactical shotgun doesn't need pinpoint aiming. This is what I'm about to ask about:

I bought this $20 red dot scope from SG and it aimed really well on the shotgun:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=480617&pn=1

However, it only lasted me a month or two at most. Then it broke apart, as you'd expect something really cheap to do. So, I was thinking about getting a slightly better one that would at least hold up, but not be as bullet proof or as pricey as the eotech. Has anyone used this thing before?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=480609&pn=1

I don't want to buy something that will last less than a year, but I don't want to blow a ton of $$$ on a shotgun sighting system when a shotgun doesn't need it. Thoughts?!?

2. matt g

matt g Guest

A buddy had a 30mm BSA that has taken quite a beating. I think he still has it on his AR.

3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

well, I liked the way mine actually operated, but it just didn't hold up at all.

4. matt g

matt g Guest

Check out the BSA. Tasco and Simmons both make affordable options as well.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

(A) Good
    (B) Cheap
    (C) Available

Pick 2 of the three. :rolleyes:

6. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

The FIRST thing I said in my post was "...you get what you pay for". The roll eyes emoticon was not necessary.

7. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Matt is right, the BSAs are "good" quality. I have had one for years on my turkey gun that has survived and remained accurate through the usual rigors of hunting the country and the monster recoil of 3 1/2" out of a x full choke. Rain, shock, fog, I have had zero problems out of it. And I paid $24 for it including the mounts. Not sure how they will act on a rifle but they are durable enough to meet your need.

regards

8. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Thanks! And I'm not worried about using it on a rifle, I had it on my rem 1100 shotgun...

9. snyderman1

snyderman1 Guest

bsa reddot shutsoff

I BOUGHT A BSA REDDOT FOR MY 9MM HI-POINT CARBINE AND SHOT ABOUT 40ROUNDS AND NOWWHEN I SHOOT ITTHELIGHT WILL TURN OFF AFTER ONE SHOT . CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS WRONG OR DO I THROW IT AWAY:mad:

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

sounds like there is a loose connection in there, do you still have the original packaging and receipt? If so, I would take it back where you got it a get another one.

11. snyderman1

snyderman1 Guest

no like a dummy i threw the reciept away, thanx anyway