Cheap Gun Safe Lights

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Budasac, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Budasac

Budasac New Member

Hey guys, I found a great deal on a new safe last week and decided to upgrade. It's exactly the same as my current safe except twice as big.

I also wanted to make a set of lights for it so I could see better but, I wanted to keep it cheap. I ordered a 5m strip of 5150 LEDs for $11 on EBay and a $4 switch from Radio Shack. I also utilized a 12v power supply from an old toy/game. If you can solder, this is the way to go. Lots of light. Low cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Seriously impressive results for $15. If you don't know how to solder, it would be worth you while to learn.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

That looks really good. I'm quite impressed.

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I did the same thing except to give the wife under counter lighting. Mine was a little more cause I had to buy a 12v "computer" transformer off eBay too.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. Budasac

Budasac New Member

Thanks guys. You certainly can't beat the price.

Yeah, the transformer is the most expensive part but, just about everyone has a few laying around if they really look. Old toys, cordless phones, and of course computers.

If you want to hardwire them to a 110v switch you can use any of the cheap transformers for low voltage lights at any of the big box stores.

I've seen them used for display cases, steps in restaurants/bars, under cabinets, etc. I actually stumbled onto them when looking for Rock Lights for my Jeep. I bought a strip of waterproof LEDs and ran them under the frame on each side to light up under the jeep when off road so a spotter can see.

6. JRAndres99

JRAndres99 New Member

Very nice. I was wanting to do something like this soon. Perfect timing. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

What I did was use a 110v rocker switch that plugged into the wall and had a plug output. Then I found an $8 transformer on eBay by typing in 12 volt computer transformer. After that it was just snip and solder, snip and solder, repeat.

If I were to do this to a safe then I would probably use a sealed 12v lead acid battery or something else put into a small ammo can; just so I wouldn't have to run wires into and out of the safe. With those LED's, even the full 5 meter long strand only pulls 3 amps.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Some safes have service pass throughs for electricity, USB cables, etc. I personally would probably drill the smallest hole possible to get in with the cord. Actually, lighting and dehumidifiers are so popular nowadays that there is not really a reason EVERY safe shouldn't come with a way to get cords inside...

9. Budasac

Budasac New Member

I did have them set up with a battery for a little while on my last safe but it was just a pain. There is already a spot on the back of the safe to pass wires through, I just had to drill through the fire proofing. I used a 12v plug in transformer and ran the low voltage line through the safe to the switch. The lights turn off as soon as the lock is engaged and back on when the lock opens.

[​IMG]

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

the lighting makes it clear that there is plenty of room for more firearms!

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I only see 3 guns in there.....

12. Budasac

Budasac New Member

??? I see 5. But yes, plenty of room for more. That's why I bought a new safe. I'm more interested in pistols then rifles and NJ makes you wait 30 days between purchases. I have a CZ75 waiting to join the family and then probably a Sig 1911. (I also just started shooting 7 months ago) so I think I'm off to a good start.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Opps, never mind. Missed the 2 on the top shelf...

14. Budasac

Budasac New Member

Even with all that light?! Maybe I need to add another strip.......;-)

15. JRAndres99

JRAndres99 New Member

Just add more guns so it's harder to count them all.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

My only thing about that is if I had a safe it would be used as an oversized Faraday cage. Holes and cords running through might not prevent and EMP or something from getting the stuff inside.

17. Budasac

Budasac New Member

I don't know of any electronic guns so I don't think an EMP would be much of a concern.

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

:rolleyes:Smarty!

Just wait, they may be closer than we think.:eek:

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm pretty sure that gun safes aren't EPM proof at all. If they were, they'd use that as another selling point, and they'd probably cost a lot more.

20. Budasac

Budasac New Member

I'm just saying'....... Until I get my Ray Gun, I'm not gonna worry about it. ;-)