cheap glass

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Blue1, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

Hey guys,

I am picking up a Model 2 Stag in a couple weeks, looking for cheap glass.

This is my first long gun, I currently own a revolver and semi-auto handguns.

Found some attractive looking stuff for the price with a brand called Aim Sports. Obviously, as priced I don't expect this stuff to be anything close to top-notch glass, but at these prices I can get a little experience with a scope on this firearm and maybe get a year or two out of it before I feel a need to move up, if that actually occurs. For my casual application, they may be perfectly acceptable.

So I would appreciate hearing the opinions of the people who have had experience with this brand.

Thanks,
    Blue1

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

3. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

Would that exact set-up work with a Model 2 Stag?

Blue1

4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I'm 80 rounds into my $30 Tasco scope on my .308 and it seems to be holding up fine. The clarity is almost embarassing but I've so far gotten it to shoot about 2MOA with cheap Monarch ammo, and I'm not all that good :p . I stole it off my .22 just so I could get out shooting, but so far it is working well enough that it's allowing me to take my time choosing a more permanent optics solution.

However, I am more of a "set it and forget it" kind of guy when it comes to windage and elevation adjustments, so I can't say whether or not the adjustments are precise or accurate.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If its a flat-top like the Stag below you should be GTG.

Attached Files:

6. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

I think it has what is referred to as a post front site and the rear sight folds or removes for scope attachment, otherwise seems to look like that.

Thanks,
    Blue1

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

blue, check out Rock River Arms, they have a high rise scope mount made for flat tops with the front sight. i am not sure about your budget for a scope, but look at the Swift scopes. i have two of them and am very pleased with them. one was about $225 and the other one was about $250. they are nice scopes IMO. the RRA mounts range from $50-60. good luck.

8. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

OP,
    That's some cheap glass for sure. Over the years I've learned a few things about optics.
    Buy once, cry once
    You only get what you pay for
    Low end optics tend to fail precipitously and at the least convenient time
    FWIW

9. Axxe55

so nicky what is your idea of cheap glass? just curious.

10. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

I hear ya, I'm a long gun noob, those features temporarily blinded me :D, but I am currently looking at a Leupold 3-9x40 which comes with AR mounts and lens covers for a little less than $400 to my door.

Blue1

11. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I'm an advocate fo the Vortex Crossfire You won't find better glas in the price range in my opinion.

12. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

I pulled the trigger on the Leupold 3-9x40 with AR mount and lens cap for $362 to my door.

Since I take pretty good care of my stuff, I tend to spend a little more up front for quality stuff. This seems to meet my standards and I'm happy with my decision.

I will report otherwise, but I think I just got a great deal for what I need.

Thanks for all your input.

Blue1

13. Axxe55

nice choice! not a bad price for a Leupold scope. Leupold makes good scopes and you should be happy with it. good luck.

14. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

IMO, any basic scope exclusive of mounts and rings,not illuminated or BDC under $100 is cheap glass. Acceptable starts about $150 and good at $250.
    I do have some cheap glass such as a $30 red dot on a $40 air rifle and a no name 4X on a Mossberg .22. I also have a 3X9 Leupold on my 30-06 Ruger and a Hakko 4X and Aimpoint Comp on two ARs so I know the difference.
    FWIW
    YMMV