Cheap first off roading vehicles

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by akm47nagiont, Apr 5, 2012.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I'm almost there to get my license I'm looking for a vehicle that's cheap off road capable that's classified in all wheel drive not 4 wheel drive 4 insurance purposes

if you have any kids off roading vehicles go ahead and post some pictures

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

It isn't classified as AWD but for cheap, fun, and off road capable, an old geo tracker is pretty good. Had one when i was a kid and the insurance wasn't too high on it

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

An older, Pre-Tacoma, Toyota pickup would fill the bill. Not an AWD, but available as a 4WD. Insurance should not be high on an older vehicle that is not a speed racer.

4. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

You didn't say what "cheap" means but I would suggest looking for 94 or newer Toyota FZJ80 Land Cruiser. All wheel drive and one of the most durable rigs on, and off, the road. Plenty capable stock and there are tons of aftermarket parts should you want to upgrade.

[​IMG]

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Get A SCOUT!! :D

Everybody's gonna laugh at me but Ive always wanted one of these.... :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

I could be wrong but does it really make much of a difference for insurance, (4x4 vs. all wheel drive)? My first was a 90 Bronco that I still have and am still modifying to be a better wheeler. My dad picked it up for $50 but they are normally a little more than that:D Just keep checking craigslist and you are bound to find something.

7. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I believe insurance is determined more by engine size than how many wheels are powered. I paid more for a 6 cylinder 2wd than i did for a 4 cylinder 4x4

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

In ky, the insurance lady told me the motor didn't matter? However it was a v-8 s-10. I pay pretty good change on my 94 Toyota pickup.

Attached Files:

9. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I would just go with an ATV in that case.

10. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Toyota is your best bet for cheap 4x4. That being said this is my project. :)

image-858147659.jpg

image-1170056078.jpg

image-2206580763.jpg

image-396465031.jpg

2003 Chevy silverado 1500 with K&N intake, Dynomax 3" exaust, leveling kit, 17" rims with procomp mud terrains, westin side steps and bull bar, KC highlights up front, and almost everything blacked out. :)

11. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

12. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Why can't I embed youtube videos anymore? :confused:

-1000 internets for me

13. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Sammies are amazing little rigs off road!

14. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Jeep Cherokees,they come in awd and are pretty reasonably priced.

15. VikingGuy

VikingGuy New Member

2nd vote for Jeep Cherokee. There isn't a better dual use vehicle. great on the road and great off the road. Lift Kits range from very inexpensive to very expensive. Start with a 3 or 4 inch lift and 31" tires and you will be amazed at what it can do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]