Cheap carbine showdown

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Pjj342, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

The keltec 2000 in 9mm seems to be a good gun from what ive read. Although ive also been told that the new HiPoint 9mm carbine is decent as well. Not to be a snob, but I probably would never buy either brand in a 9mm pistol. All that ive heard about both carbines seems pretty encouraging. Any good or bad experiences with either?

2. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

I've owned the Hi_point carbine not the Kel-Teck

Hello all, Ron L here - SERE SURPLUS, Responce to Pjj342

I've owned the Hi Point Carbine in 9MM, I understand your reservations about Hi-Point as I have owned and sold a few as a dealer, they simply function, but a lot about thye hendguns I didn't like! The carbine, while sharing some of the same negative traits (Plastic Construction, Metal pins to remove for di-assembly, Cheap feel and construction) the Carbine wa a far different story! I subjected it to a real torture test of shooting thousands of rounds of old SMG mamo from Egyptian to Swedish SMG ammo, dirty bad stuff and it preformed like a pro!The low cost and reliability of the Hi-Point inthe case, leads me to say if I were buy a carble I'd grab another one of them? The kel kec, while I have not owed one, did sell a few kel Teck Guns including th 9MM carble and a 223 folder! All preformed well, but the Use of Plastic in some area's as well as cheapness of feel and construction do not make me feel the Higher $ to be worth it over the Hi-Point? I like the Folding feature of both of the Kel-Tecks I ordered for customers and all and had no issues with fuction on all but the 223 carble and that was sent back and repaired free and in good order and short time involved! I'd say to feel both in your hands and of course if possible try and find a range that might let ya shoot them? Rental guns are typically handguns but some metropolitan gun shops and ranges have long guns as well! If thats not possible ask frioends and those ya knw, maybe you can tag along and shoot some of your own ammo thugh ether of them and make a more informed decision? Thats the best advice i can give ya! Good luck and let us know how that goes, OK?

RON

3. group17

group17 New Member

I own both of them. Both are reliable and fun shooters
    Hi point
    limit of only ten round mag, rail for optics
    $200
    [​IMG]

Keltec2000
    Mine takes any glock mag 15 round or higher, no rail (Optional),
    folds in half to 16 Inch length.
    $300
    [​IMG]

if you own a Glock buy keltec. Or buy $100 of Hi-point mags or optics from the cost difference.

4. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

I've got the Hi-Point Carbine in the .45ACP, shoots great. Handles the same loads as my 1911's. + fun to shoot!

[​IMG]

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've got the 995 in 9mm and it is a blast to shoot. I removed the iron sights and put on a red dot and it is accurate to the 75 yards that I could shoot at the local L.E. range. I'm thinking of putting a light on it and have it handy for home defense. It hasn't failed me yet, although I've only put a few hundred rounds through it.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've heard about carbines for home defense. I just don't know that I want to risk those rounds going through walls. A handgun, especially a 1911, is certainly powerful enough. I think I'll just stay with my shotgun as my primary "Someone has definitely just broken into my house" weapon of choice.

Otherwise 1911 and flashlight is good enough. I don't want my light and gun attached...just me, though.

7. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've had a Hi-point carbine since they 1st came out. I have never had a single malfunction of any kind. It even eats 85gr to 147gr reloads without issue.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member