cheap but good quality 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by potentialglock, Oct 20, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I'm looking to buy my first 1911 but I don't wanna break the bank. I want something under 300$ if possible but all suggestions are appreciated

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

I dont think there are any new 1911's out there for $300 or less.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

cheap but good quality is an oxymoron.

There are several inexpensive (400 to 500$) but good quality 1911's out there.

Peruse this section for many testimonials of these inexpensive 1911's.

4. potentialglock

Yes I meant inexpensive but this is a firearms forum not a good grammar forum. Any specific examples, manufacturers etc?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cheap is much different than inexpensive. probably the least inexpensive decent quality 1911 is going to be at least in the $500-600 range.

check out Rock Island Armory, MetroArms American Classic, Armcors High Standard, and Regent Arms. might find a decent used one, but more than likely even these will run in the $450-500 range if the seller knows about 1911's.

6. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I gata put the taurus pt1911 in. love mine

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just givin this a bump 'cause this question (or variations of) never gets old ;)

8. potentialglock

Has anybody tried the ruger sr1911?

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have not shot it but I got a good look and was able to handle two the other day. Very nice gun. I can see what all the fuss is about. We auctioned one and raffled one at our FNRA dinner on the 18th. They are in the $700 range. The one we auctioned went with the Ruger knife for just under $1000. It was donated by a local dealer.

10. potentialglock

How about the citadel centennial edition?

11. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

The least expensive 1911 that I have handled & shot is the Rock Island. For under $500 fit & finish are suprisingly good. Accuracy is at least as good as the shooter behind it.

It is built in PI and the mothership is Armscor.

12. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

if you check around online, sometimes you can get a Rock Island in .45 for $370ish. i paid $400 for my Rock Island 9mm a few months back & absolutely love it, no problems or issues with it yet,

13. Axxe55

there are a few members here who have the SR1911 and so far seem very pleased with them. they are the lucky few, because until Ruger ups the production, they are a litttle hard to come by, but ithink it's getting better.

the Citadel i believe is also made in the Philipine Islands as well. have not heard anything bad about them. i have seen only one in a pawn shop, that i looked over. it was lightly used but seemed to be worth the asking price of $450.

i have to agree with Biker, that the RIA is a very good budget 1911 to start with. from own handling of them and from reports of use by other members here, i would not hesitate in buying one. the fit and finish are very good and at usually under $600 would be a very good value for the money.

14. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

15. GNXtreme

GNXtreme New Member

I just got an American classic commander... $499. Looks amazing and shoots great too!

Attached Files:

16. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Good job! Lmk after a few hundred rounds how you like it.

17. Axxe55

HMMMMM! her's mine after some minor changes and several hundreds of rounds later! shoots awesome!

changes are grips, grip screws, thumb safey, slide release, mag release and de-polishing to dull the chrome finish as to not appear as shiny.

Attached Files:

18. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

You won't find a good quality 1911 for under $300 (unless it's stolen). There are more than a few decent quality ones at the $500 mark. I would expect to get a good quality 1911 at $750+

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

True, unless you find something used and a motivated seller. My SIG 1911 cost me $720 net. But truthfully I couldn't find any sub $600 1911 that I was impressed with its finish, sights and other features.