Cheap bipod buying

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bronco141414, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

after having done what your considering... save up for the harris.

bench shooting i run 20 round pmags you have to get too far off a comfortable bench position for 30 rounders and accuracy suffers.

just my opinion. take for what its worth

3. hmh

hmh New Member

I bought a Harris ultralight for $20 at a pawn shop. I needed a bipod and offered them $20 for it. It was on a lost rifle. They didn't know what they had and at the time I just picked the one that was the easiest to remove.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I agree. I would hold out for a quality bipod if you must have one. I don't really like bipods though.

I also agree that getting a 20 round mag or two for bench shooting is a good idea. I have a couple old Colt 20 rounders that I picked up at a pawn shop pretty cheap. Replaced the followers and springs, even though they were functioning fine. Makes bench shooting a lot more comfortable, but I use sand bags.

If your barrel isn't floated, and the bipod mounted on a good rigid free float hand guard, you may not get the best accuracy that you can get, due to more difficulty in getting pressure consistent on the barrel.

5. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

A coworker just asked me the other day about his "Harris" bipod because the legs had loosend up. So we brought our bipods in to compare becuase I said mine are super tight. Turns out his bipod was not actually a Harris while mine is. Cheap stuff doesn't last. Buy a quality bipod or use a sandbag.

+1 on the 20 round mag for bipod or sandbag shooting.

6. BRL

BRL Member

Read some of the customer reviews on the bipod you're considering, there are hundreds of them.

Some say it is long enough for 30-rounders but I'm with the other posters here that you should consider a shorter magazine, and also if you're going to purchase a bipod save up for the Harris.

This 9-13" Harris is more than long enough even for the 30-round MagPul with the dust cover clipped on the bottom, but may be too tall for being seated comfortably at a bench.

[​IMG]

7. Hobbit712

Hobbit712 New Member

I ordered the UTG Sniper model yesterday based on the reviews. Should be here tomorrow. I figured it was worth a try.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have never had a problem with the bi pods from Wal-mart (black hawk I think) but then again I dont think they can mount to a rail system without a adaptor. The new one's may come with one I am not sure and if you dont like it you can always return it. Ill spend $30 over $150 anyday of the week. Just a thought.

Attached Files:

9. BRL

BRL Member

Before I bought my Harris bipod from Midway, (on sale BTW) I was bidding for used similar models on e-bay, and I was outbid every time because people were paying about $10 under the retail cost of the new ones.

That's when a quality bipod struck me as being a darn good investment.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

I have that on one of mine as well...it's a solid bipod definitely worth the money

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I have a few Bipods myself. The last Bipod I got was also from a pawn shop for $10. It is a Chinese model, and probably for Air Soft, but I don't care, because I don't use them for everyday.
    I do have a Harris Model, but it stays on my Custom Ruger 10/22 Target due to it's weight, and because I don't have Sand Bags.

I will say that the Blackhawk models at WalMart do look quite capable for the cost.

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I have NcStar, Harris and Atlas Bipods. All i can say and always believe in, you get what you paid for.
    Harris is the best all around, IMO.

13. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Can somebody please recommend to me which of these two bipeds would be best based in there heights? They don't plain out say 6-9. The sniper one says 8-12 inches and when folded out May be around 6-9inches

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Attach a bipod to the rail and it will bend or break the rail as you pivot. I know first hand. :(