Cheap AR-15 Red Dot sight

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Aug 28, 2014.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

My new AR-15 have no sights or scope on it at all right now. I am wanting to get a red-dot for it. It will be used mainly for pinking. It is chambered in .223 & 5.56. I want a cheap red dot, preferably no more than $50, however if I can get cheaper, prefer that Don't have to be anything fancy, but I do want something that will hold up the the round and will not lose center. What would you recommend? Whatever I get must accept a picatinny rail.

2. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Don't plan on getting anything that's worth it for that much then man. I have a Trijicon ACOG replica that cost me 180 bucks and it's for airsoft. Decent reddots cost money

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

AR recoil is almost nonexistent. Even the cheap, Chinese sights will survive plinking. You will find the cheapest on eBay, or look on sportsman's guide.

4. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Cheap but not 50 bucks cheap. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cheap optics are just that, cheap. you may get one in your range of budget and it might last a few rounds or it might last a lifetime. you just never know until you put your money down and spin the wheel.

i have a BSA red dot that i bought a few years ago for about $65 and so far it has held up fine in occasional use. i also have iron sights as well as a 4X scope that i use on the same rifle.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The cheapest i can suggest is the Bushnell TRS-25 with UTG mount. You can get them both around $90 from Amazon.
    I have one mounted on my M&P 15-22 and it holds zero. Not sure if it will stay zero for 223/5.56 recoil.
    Or check out the Primary Arms red dot selections.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Came to post about the TRS-25, I've heard very good things.

There's also the Vortex strikefire.

I think your budget needs to come up a bit.

Buy once, cry once.

8. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

TruGlo, CenterPoint are all I got.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You really want one with a 2" moa dot or a 1"moa circle dot. Might have to spend a little more and but a utg riser.

10. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I beg to differ

For the $29 I spent, it has been spot on and no change in alignment after 100's of rounds. I am sure more expensive sights are better but at 3 to 10 time the cost..NOT something I need.

My scope was not expensive either and has impressed some folks. Okay, it wasn;t cheap either ..lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5V5VJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Btw...

Check out the customers reviews...They can't all be wrong (over 1000) can they ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#cm_cr_dpwidget

Trust me, I don't buy CHEAP unless I know I am getting something that may SEEM cheap but punches above its weight class. I did the same in audio. Found a $50 phono stage (used for turntables) that beat anything under $300..tested by many and guess what ? Shocked the heck out of them...

Just sayin...LOL

12. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

+1 on the trs25. I've got one and it hasn't failed yet. But you need a set of MBUS.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

TruGlo

I have a TruGlo 2X42 Prismatic Electronic 2 color/Multi-Reticle. it's listed at $180-$200. Got it From Natchez for $100..loved it so much I bought a second one. Works on AR's., Shotguns, and I put my first one on my Mossberg 22 Semi,...also bought their Reflex Multi-reticle Red/Green dot($60)...
    the 2X42 is a little smaller then the Old Colt 4X15 AR Scopes....for me it's more then enough for a 22LR, and I've been told, work as well on CF AR's...
    You Might Try Sportsman's Guide,...

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

When I think 'cheap' red dot for an AR, I think around $100. There are good options for that price. Very good, in fact.

I'm a fan of the Vortex Sparc, Vortex Strikefire, and Bushnell TRS-25. These can all be found at various price points from $75-150. I've used the Strikefire a bunch and have a Sparc and a TRS25 on a pair of my BCMs.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

+1 on the Bushnell TRS-25 with UTG mount. I've used a couple on 5.56 ARs for many years with no problems. Great battery life too. Both the optic and mount are well worth the money.

16. sandog

sandog Member

Another good "cheap" red dot is the Primary Arms Micro. Around $90 and tons of good reviews. I would not waste my money on anything cheaper.

17. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

i see the Bushnell TRS-25 has a weaver mount....my AR have picatinny mount, so I'm assuming even though I don't have no regular sites to where I need a riser, that I would have to get a mount to go from weaver to picatinny?

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have a TRS-25 that I got for $99 and it had a $25 rebate when I bought it. It has been on my AR for over a year. It also spent some time in a .30-30 as an experiment. The .30-30 fell into water when crossing a beaver dam. Landed on some mud encased timbers in the way down, landing on the sight and partially submerged it in the water for less than a minute. Sling swivel had come loose. Sight was still zeroed, weekend fine. I like the closed tube for better strength that some of the open top window designs, just for little reasons like that.

If I had $50, I'd save until I had at least $100.

I also had a Tasco PDP 2 that was an older Japanese made one, that I got as part of a trade. That was a solid optic. Might be able to find one on E-Bay for a decent price.

19. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Just looked up the mounts they aren't cheap, this will be a cheaper option, very good sight.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...specials/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014