Cheap AR-10

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bigbomar4, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I am looking for a cheap AR-10. I am gonna be using it as a hog gun and thats it. I will probably never shoot over 50 yards with it were we go hunt. In fact most shots are more like 10-15 yards. So I dont need a tack driver just something that will go bang when I pull the trigger. This gun will get abused bad. The sks that I have been using is beat to heck and I dont want to do that to some $2500-3000 rifle like the gun shops around here are wanting to sell me. So what is a good brand that will go bang all the time but wont break the bank? Or a good place online to find a used one?

2. Seven

Seven New Member

Not to be an ***, but why not just keep using the SKS and save yourself $1k+ ?

"Cheap" and "AR10" are two words they don't fit well in the same sentence.
    And 7.62x39 rounds are lots cheaper than .308.

3. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Well for one the sks is my dads not mine and it is just about done. Also like I said most of our shots are at 10-15 yards so they are not always the most well placed so I was wanting something with a little more power behind it.

4. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Have you considered a 6.5 grendal build? Its a bigger round, well suited to hog hunting and it uses a standard ar-15 for all parts (including magazines) except the bolt and barrel. You dont have to fork out megatons of cash like an AR-10 either.

Think about it

EDUB

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you have been using a sks you evidently have been dropping the piggies with the 7.62x39 just fine. why not get a wasr ak47?? around 450$-ish cheap mags cheap ammo. if your going to beat it to hell so what?? its cheap.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Dpms. 308. Next thread plz.

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I like Jons idea of a wasr. The little gun swings good, would be easier to handle in thick brush and cheap enough.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Inside 50yds you don't need an AR 10. They are heavy and bulky for the up close brush shooting you are talking about. I'd rather pack a lever gun or the sks or ak. .30-30 or .35 Remington would be fine on pigs.

But a dpms is about as affordable of a .308 AR as you will find.

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Do either one of these 2 things...

Buy a saiga for 500 bucks... Prob lower if u get one used... They come in all the calibers u can want... But I think the 7.62x39 is plenty for your range... Trick this out with a red dot or low power scope and ur set...

OR...

If you still want the ar type of fun look then get this... RRA AK-47... It accepts real ak47 mags too!!!

Attached Files:

10. Gloves

Gloves New Member

10 - 15 yards. go with a 12 ga.
    A slug will stop a boar no problem.

Or, go with .458 SOCOM upper. Cost is $600
    hits with nearly the same power as a 308 up to 100 yards.

Although, ammo is expensive.

----

Did you try looking at rock river?
    Their LAR-8 still $1250+

I think if you were to wait 2 more years, the prices would be sub $1K
    As every manufacture is getting more requests to build in .308

I just spent $3K on a POF 308 20" for hogs.

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yup. I agree with JonM.

Besides, my AR10 loaded up is well over 12 pounds. If you are chasing pigs, that sh!t will get old REAL quick.

12. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

RRA is backed up 120+ days on lar8 orders... Too long of a wait for me lol...

My brother in law has the 50 Beowulf... the rounds are scary lookin... Uppers are only 600 bucks +... Ammo is ok on price but is hard to find right now..

13. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Didnt expect so many people on the AR board to tell me not to get an AR.
    Thanks for all the ideas. Now I guess I need to go start looking at more guns. Dang sounds like a horrible thing to have to go do lol.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Nope, not what I said. :) just that they are different for different purposes. If I could only keep ONE of my guns, it would be one of the AR's. But I'm telling ya, that ArmaLite makes for a long hump to the deer stand...I can't imagine chasing hogs all day with that big bastard.

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

no need for an AR10 ... 458SOCOM is what you want ;)

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

We are just being honest and trying to help you not sell you a gun :)

I like the idea of a lever gun too. Cartridge belt for reload as you go, fast enough cycling for piggies.

The ar10, unless you fork over a huge chunk of loot for a larue lightweight or a colt 901 is just too clunky and heavy for fast moving hogs in the texas brush.

Ive got a marlin 1895 gbl 45-70 for texas brush hunting in the cactus and mesquite. I do most of my hunting in texas

17. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Those piggies treed me last year when I couldnt get the next stripper clip in there fast enough. (Me and a buddy came over a ridge and there were about 15 pissed off pigs) Thats one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. I didnt even think about changing the sks over to accept mags till after I had already posted on here.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um 30 rounds inn a pmag with 220 gr .300 blackout subsonics sound like it'll work just right 4 ya.

Best thing is that it is a basic ar15 with 30 caliber barrel and bullets. Nice n light and plenty of capacity.

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Get s surefire 60 round mags and that'll give ya 4 rounds per 15 po'd piggies :)

20. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I waited nearly a year for the POF 308!!! they first told me it was going to be 3 months... then they put a Dept. Fish & Game contract in front of my order.

50 Beowulf is also a bad *** hog gun.

If I were to get another .308 semi-auto, I would be looking at KEL-TEC RFB.
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

No idea if it's quality but it's defiantly bad ***.