Cheap AK ammo for accuracy

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Pjj342, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

If you were going to the range with your new AK rifle, to get your sights dialed in at 50 and 100 yds, what kind of ammo would you buy? I love the price of the russian stuff but is it accurate? Im sure it varies by brand and bullet weight. Chime in.

2. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

Zero with what you plan to use in it.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nicodemis told you true. Sight it in with what you'll be shooting out of it regularly.

4. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

cheap ak ammo

I love the yugo m-67 all brass very accurate and very good prices, downfall mildly corrosive, i never found that to be a problem for me.

5. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Yep! Outstanding ammo, and my 7.62x39 ARs think so too! :rolleyes:

6. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

yugo brass ammo

Where are you finding this stuff? I was looking around and the couple sites i found it on its no cheaper than the russian stuff and if it is cheaper the shipping is crazy expensive. (thearmory.com-8.00 for 40rds at 62.00 shipping) Maybe im reading it wrong.

7. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

cheap ak ammo

Centerfire systemn, and Classic arms both have it in stock I beleive $219 for 1260, or $189 for 1000. It might end up costing u as much as the russian, but i personally like it better. It's much nastier it yaws @ between 2-3" the russian about 6-7". Good for target or shtf.

8. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I haven't bought any in years. I'm still using from a small pallet load I got at SG for $.06 per rd. maybe 10 years ago.

Now days I see that JG Sales has it at $209.79 + S&H for a 1260 rd case.

7.62x39 Yugo FMJ 124GR Brass case military ammo boxed. 1260rd Case

Also at Aim Surplus, $182.00 + S&H for a 1120 rd case.

Yugoslavian 7.62x39 on SKS Chargers 40rd box

This is the most accurate 7.62x39 surplus ammo I have ever used. Mine has been 100% sure fire too! With S&H you should still be around $.20 per rd, not too bad I guess?

9. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

cheap ak ammo

Thanks man, those were the days .06 per rd. your right about being very accurate, and i also never had a misfire. I'm going to check it out sounds good...

10. franklin67

franklin67 New Member

I recently got some Yugo from Classic Arms for my AK. 1000 rds cost only $224 with shipping. Plus it was packed in a 50 cal ammo can in pretty good shape too! Shoots great, and Im buying lots more of this as soon as my income tax comes in!

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Is that at 100 yds?

I wanna add that some will laugh at 2-3" grouping at 100 yds. I say read the topic of the thread. Accuracy is a relative term and this is relating to AK's. Have you tried Ammocan? Buy in bulk, shoot what you will be shooting all the time. Even at 6-7" at 100 yards is fine in a SHTF as long as you have plenty of ammo.

12. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

cheap ak ammo

I was talking about bullet balistics, i'm not sure at what distance they test at. I personally have shot 2-3" grouping at 100yds with my sks. I also have done alot of work to my weapon, and much shooting for many yrs. I'm comfortable with my weapon, and like anything else you want to be good at, it takes alot of practise, also knowing your weapon and being able to make adjustments under various conditions. I do agree with you 6-7" grouping at 100yds is good.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You said it right there. This stuff surprised the heck outta me the first time I used it, now it's been switched from plinking ammo to sight-in and save ammo. Partially because it is mildly corrosive, but mostly because I want it in the case if I ever need it.

14. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

silver bear

I got to the range yesterday and was able to sight in at 25yds. It took some adjusting but I got it zeroed in. Once I was done with my groups, I loaded the remaining 25rds and let it rip. I was happy with the silver bear, but man is it dirty.

Attached Files:

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Nice Saiga. What mods did you do to it? Was the mag well difficult to Dremel, or was it ready to accept a double stack when you got it? I'm eyeing one at the local store here. It's older w/ wood hand-guards/stock, but I can see and feel the potential radiating from it. . . ;)

Your assessment of that Silver Bear is exactly how I rate it. I only buy it if its on sale for the same price as the "Military Wolf" (lowest on the totem pole loading).

16. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

All saigas are double stack magazine ready. The only difference is, on the saiga there is a feed lip built into the mag and on the norm ak its built into the rifles trunion. You can put in an aftermarket feed ramp into your saiga rifle. Mines not mag converted. Thats an SGM clear mag with a tapco t6 stock, about the only thing you can do with a stock saiga without converting it.