cheap .22

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by WarrenPTstud, Feb 8, 2013.

1. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

My mom is looking for a low priced .22 just for backyard plinking. Frame size will either be medium or small. I have been looking around but would like to get some opinions

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Ruger 22/45, MKIII, SR22, and Single-Six are some good guns that don't cost too much.

3. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Ruger 10/22 is always fun to plink with no matter what age. And they can be had for $250-$300 OTD for the basic model.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not a handgun last time i checked :confused:
    Garadex did good - If a SA is her taste the Heritage is "cheep" & fun to plink with-

5. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Sorry...didn't notice it was in "Handgun" forum.

6. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

I'd have to agree with Garadex...my 9-year old niece loves shooting the Ruger Mark 3.

7. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I would look at used Name-Brand guns at the LGS.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

10. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Define your meaning of "big gun" garadex

11. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Berreta neos u22 are fun

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

1. Phoenix HP22A - $150

Best bang for buck 22 pistol there is, SAO with hammer, optional 5"barrel or 3", 10 rounds mag, etc...

For size... (small)

Phoenix HP22A measurements: - Overall length ~ 5.6" - Barrel length ~ 3" - Overall height ~ 4.2" - Maximum width ~ 1" - Unloaded weight ~ 20oz

If you want something simpler...

2. Jimenez JA22 - $130 (extra small)

SAO striker fire. Very basic design, easiest thing to clean. Fixed barrel for amazing accuracy out of tiny gun. Mine (2 of them) have been flawless since I got them. Combined about 8k rounds. They take high velocity or standard, unlike the Phoenix which only likes standard velocity, especially Remington SubSonic!

Don't listen to the snobbery about Jimenez on whole, their 22 is superb!!! Their other stuff isn't great, be hard pressed to call good, but value is almost unparalleled, save HiPoint.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  13. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I have a heritage rough rider, it has been flawless in the 1k rounds or so ive shot through it, I got the combo with the magnum cylinder, wife got it for me for my birthday last year, I absolutely love it.

ForumRunner_20130208_190612.jpg

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

This would've been my number 3, but I have no experience, haven't even handled or seen in person, so I can't say anything about it.

15. cgersty

cgersty New Member

It is amazingly accurate, we live on couple hundred acres in the country, I carry this everywhere I go loaded with rat shot for snakes, I have killed squirrels with it, and it goes bang everytime, it is inexpensive but its perfect for backyard plinking, or woods walking because I'm not as concerned scratching it, but its held up very well for me.

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Don't they make a convertible option that shots 22lr and 22mag.

17. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Yep it comes with two cylinders one for lr and one for magnum, wife got this brand-new on sale for 157 out the door, Damn accurate too, it will bust clay birds for 25-30 feet and its an absolute blast to shoot, pretty accurate with the magnums too, and is still very manageable, I have huge hands and it fits my hand well, and my wife cam shoot it and she has small hands.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Thanks to a decent length fixed barrel. I think you've got a fine gun there my friend! The only revolver I've ever thought of buying. I know that doesn't sound like a huge compliment, but if you knew my distaste for Revolvers in general you'd understand how much so it is! ;)

19. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Thank ya! She picked it out all by herself and I couldn't be happier with it.
    These are the grips it came with, I like both sets but I think the black laminate look better.
    ForumRunner_20130208_193510.jpg

20. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Don't buy some hunk of junk. Some great .22's are the Walther P22, the Ruger SR22, and the Sig Mosquito. Although a few people don't like the Sig, I've fired it many times with no issue. I personally own the Walther and it's had thousands upon thousands of rounds fired through it over the years without any failures or replacement parts. My wife and 11 year old love shooting it.