Charter Arms

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rb522, Dec 7, 2013.

1. rb522

rb522 New Member

Anyone have a Charter Arms revolver? I know they're not Smiths or Rugers, but are they worth looking at ? I was looking at one to keep in the truck because I didn't want to leave my S&W in there through the winter. Any feedback good or bad, please.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had one. It was a .22 LR. It shot a bit high, but always fired. Meh..... didn't hate it. I only sold it because it was so god awful loud.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The wife loves her patriot in .327 mag.................

4. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

The Charter Bulldog in ,44 spcl, has been my EDC for last couple years.
    It shoots to POA. and never had a problem

Im happy with it.

[​IMG]

Jim

5. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I put a request at LGS for Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm version revolver, that request was put in March 2013 amd still on order!

They have been getting the other Charter Arms models; but, not the 9mm Pitbull.

6. rb522

rb522 New Member

I was thinking Bull Dog or Mag Pug. I've only owned S&W and Ruger Revolvers before, so I'm not that familiar with Charter.

7. Cheever

Cheever New Member

I've worked on a few of them and they are the most bass-ackwards pieces around. I always charge higher to work on these firearms when they come into the shop. I have gotten more than one into the shop in a bag because some individuals fancy they are garage gunsmiths and can't get them back together. If you get the cylinder release latch off you will need about 4 hands to put it back together. If you don't tinker with your firearms I imagine they are acceptable and I have never been afraid to shoot one but I will never own one.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have an old charter that was made in the early 70's. It is a 357 mag pug. A member of my family carried it as a back up to his service pistol. The mag pug can be carried in the pocket but it is easy to carry in a holster on your belt or an ankle holster. It is accurate at close range. It is exactly what you would expect from a 357 with a 2.5" barrel.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The ones made in the last 5 or so years have been pretty decent and they have a lifetime warranty. They are made in the USA if Brooklyn is still part of the USA. I have dealt with the owner and management and they a very nice people. I would buy one before I bought a Taurus revolver.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Owned several over many years- nothing negative to say about any---
    I will say at todays prices I think I might find a used ole S&W Mdl 10 cheaper to keep in the truck :eek:

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I have an OLD Bulldog in 44sp.
    A piece of junk.
    But have heard good things about the new manufactured guns.

12. regload

regload Member

I have a Mag Pug. .357 mag. Wish I never bought it. A piece of junk, now that I have a Ruger to compare it to. The $150 difference in price between it and the SP101 is way too low; should be $250 difference or more.
    The CA shot about 20 inches low at 25 feet (!). So, I had to machine down the front sight to hit paper. Luckily I have a miller. The screws constantly loosen. The grip is crap. Made my own to be able to use a pocket holster. The rifling has chatter marks! The compensator holes in the barrel mean that I cannot use shot capsules, in spite of the fact that those holes do nothing to control muzzle flip.
    In short, it is a throw-away.
    Oh, and it is only two years old! Bought it brand new.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Don't have any Charter Arms revolvers but I have fired a few over the years and nothing terrible stands out. I do have a Charter Arms AR-7 which has the normal AR-7 issues.

14. rb522

rb522 New Member

Kind of wishing I had kept my old Ruger Security Six. I may be checking the used shelves for another Ruger or Smith. I don't need anything top shelf, but quality is a must.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I owned a Charter Bull Dog .44 Special back in 1970. I shot heavy hand-loads in it. The little Bull Dog held up well. I traded it off and years later it turned up again.
    The Bull Dog was found at a crime scene in the Mojave Desert in 2000. :confused:

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

One of the carry guns MzGrn wants is the Charter off duty. I was told the pit bulls are available.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have heard the new charters are not as good as the old ones. I would not buy a snub nose pistol of any brand that has been ported.

18. awahlster

awahlster New Member

I own an old (more then 25 years since I have owned it that long and bought it used) Bulldog Pug in .44spl Blued And it has been an outstanding firearm in all that time I have never had a single bit of trouble. I shoot mostly hand loaded middle of the road 200gr HPs.

I own a 3 year old Undercover Stainless in 38+P I carry it a lot and shoot it a lot. Mostly with medium pressure quick burning powder loads behind a 125gr HP or 158gr Semi Wad cutter lead slug.

And again not a single complaint.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The Undercover is the lightest 38Spl. in the Market,..even less(by about 1.5 ozs.)then the Ruger LCR...

20. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

If you search "Pink Lady", my thread is the first to pop up. I should note that since that last posting, I had to send it back to the factory, yet again, for the cylinder locking up.