Charter Arms/snub won't open easily

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by paul, Jun 19, 2011.

1. paul

paul New Member

I press the cylinder release and it takes a little push to get the cylinder to open for load/unload, inspection, etc. Gun is clean/excellant condition otherwise. Does it have something to do with the yoke alignment? This is one of my concealed favorites. It's not +P rated but is a good shooter SA/DA, 2", blue. I just want it back 100% again, asap. Thanks in advance for helpful and/or well intentioned advice. :)

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

The best way to fix it is to take it and trade it on something else. They also tend to have timing problems. That's how I fixed the problems I had the with the one I had.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Is the ejector rod tightly screwed in? If it is, then follow Glass's advice and pick up something like a S&W J frame or a Ruger SP101.

4. paul

paul New Member

Charter arms snub

Since posting my tread a few minutes ago, I'm seeing that the advice you gave me is probably pretty darn good. Only thing, I've had this gun so long, it's paid for and it works flawlessly, well, until the cylinder hangup. I've not had any timing problems and it shoots very straight 15yards. I did shoot a S&W snub, looked alot like my Charter Arms, yesterday, and I was wishing that I had a Smith instead. Although in the Charter's defense, it still is a very decent gun to shoot. Nah, thanks for the trade in advice, it's sound but, I am going to see if someone on our thread can give me some basic gunsmith advice to see if I can fix it myself :)

5. moonpie

moonpie New Member

on your other post you said you had to tap to release the cylinder. were you tapping the latch or the cylinder. also does it have the exposed ejector rod(no barrel shroud)

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like the cylinder release is not moving far enough. Check the release itself to see if crud got in there to keep it from moving its full range. If your model has a front end lock(on barrel) then maybe the ejector rod is slightly unscrewed(which makes it to long).

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Read the answer I left on yer other post.

8. paul

paul New Member

Charter Arms cylinder

I'm tapping the cylinder, actually pushing with fingertips and it pops open. I've examed a few minutes ago, looks as if the release is not pushing the cylinder "rod" enough to allow easy opening. I have to push release button down and forward with more pressure than it should require. Is there a adj. screw located just below firing pin hole, where the rod tip seats itself?:confused:

9. franklin67

franklin67 New Member

My buddy gave me a Charter Arms like yours. Seems to work fine mechanically, but I havent fired it yet. What would +P ammo do to the gun? I got a box of the hornady for it, and Id hate to have wasted my money without checking first.

10. c3shooter

The Charter is an OK handgun. Not a S&W, not a Colt, but not a total piece of junk either. A now-and-again cylinder of +P is not going to hurt your revolver (your hand, maybe). A steady diet of +P will speed up wear, and parts will get loose, etc.

11. franklin67

franklin67 New Member

Ah, thanks for that. Not so bad then--I can keep the +P rounds for when its "loaded for business" and use regular rounds at the range to see what it does. No great expectations there though--Im using it as a carry piece for close protection anyway--dont need long-range accuracy. Wanna upgrade to something a bit nicer soon, but this will do for now.

12. paul

paul New Member

Charter Arms vs. +P ammo

I suggest, Never shoot the wrong/improper ammo for what the firearm is rated for. It is unsafe. It can ruin the gun. Warranties are voided when a gun is abused by being loaded and fired with improper ammo. A person can get by with lots of things, but why would anyone do something so negligent and sloppy, as shooting the wrong ammo on purpose, when you're educated and capable of using the ammunition suggested for that firearm by the manufacture.

I am not implying that any information given has been wrong, unsafe or improper. I really didn't even study the other replys and this is just my opinion.

Best regards and enjoy your shooting sports.

13. powg

powg New Member

charter arms

i agree ...its the ejector rod or the bushing on which the cyl tilts out of . imo everyone has gone high performance crazy good old 158 lead round nose .38's have stopped threats for decades .dont tell anybody but :D ....cut an x in tip

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It sounds like the ejector rod is loose.

15. vincev

vincev New Member

I would avoid +p in a charter arms.

16. 69fnfal

69fnfal New Member

An old charter I had once had a screw that the ejector rod bears against when the cylinder was closed. Adjusting that screw just a bit would make it easier to open. You might look at that. I don't think you'd be undergunned with it, the Smith would maybe take a little more abuse. If the charter is treated as it should be, as a handgun and not as a toy, it should hold up for a long time. I would not toss it just because it says Charter Arms on it.

17. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

CA has a lifetime warranty on its guns, so just call them up & send it back for proper repair, I love my Bulldog 44 spcl & I carry it every day with no problems, I put through about 300 rds when I broke it in new & no hiccups at all.? :cool:

18. c3shooter

44Mag, the company has changed hands. They honor a lifetime warranty on guns made by the current company, there IS a charge for working on guns made by the prior company. Go to the Charter website, look under FAQ.