Charter Arms Pink Lady

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jfinch2377, Sep 8, 2012.

1. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

Purchased this for my wife a few weeks ago and have put around 500 rounds through it by now. The accuracy of this .38 special revolver is just plain AWFUL. I am much more accurate with my NAA .22mag mini revolver, and my Kel-Tec PF9 seems like a competition gun compared to this! There is a video on YouTube of a lady not being able to hit a sheet of paper at 4 yards, and I can second those accuracy issues. The wife loves the gun(it's pink), but I can not justify keeping something for concealed carry that is this inaccurate. Anyone have ANY possible suggestions before I put it up for sale? I shot a S&W 642 a week ago and it was a million times more accurate!

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I know the trigger pull is reather high and putting a wolff RP hammer spring in it to see if that helps with trigger control also it should shoot better single action. I have CA ultra light with the wolf spring and its made for a great trigger pull change and it shoots just fine. I use some soft lead loads at 950fps in mine, a, my daughters charter. She claimed it as hers. I tend to not like to do that for CC but it does make a difference and still a firm pull.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Call Charter Arms.

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Yea their customer service is top notch and not only will they pay for shipping < I've even heard both ways > but they put repairs on the main production line right next to new production so turn around is about 5 days instead of gawd knows how long when handles by a small over worked back logged repair crew.

I love my charter pitbull .40S&W great little piece . Just wish they made a speed loader for it .

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Call charter, maybe got got a bad gun

Imo i would have gotten a ruger lcr in the first place. I prefer revolvers for reliability, and when it comes to reliability it dosn't get better than Ruger.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Report back if you get satisfaction, SWMBO wants one for her BD

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i too like pink guns but number one criteria is the gun has to be a good one first. functionality is first and foremost then looks. if you just gotta have a revolver the ruger lcr in 357mag is hard to beat. ive fired them and they are decent enough for a snubby. you dont have to shoot 357mags in it but its good to have that capability.

you can always send any gun off for a pink duracoating.

here is my ruger 10/22 in pink. i had the normally black reciever duracoated pink to match

[​IMG]

8. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

Wow! The accuracy issue takes a backseat to the cylinder no longer working when I push the release! $17 to ship back to Charter Arms for repair. I will be selling this piece of junk for a S&W 642 as soon as I get it back from the factory. First and last Charter Arms purchase. The wife will just have to deal with pink grips on the 642!

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well I hope you don't also buy a turd from s&w as they are also are putting more than afew out today. What would you do if you bought a 1200dollar S&W custom and had issues right out of the box?? Whine and moan and dump it too ?? Give them a chance first and then let you & wife deside. I have bought several handguns from guys that ether did not clean them, lube as needed and with a revolver ,Pull the side plate and clean and lube there too. Also then tell charter you want a shipping label for that brand new revolver to ship it with.

10. Unimproved

Unimproved New Member

Send it back and get it fixed before you sell your problem to someone else! It's too late to ask why you didn't research your gun before you bought it.

The price of a new gun can be indicative of the quality, not always true but worthy of extra scrutiny. I guess before ripping a company on a public forum you should have given them a chance to fix it, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway I hope you get what your looking for when all is said and done.

11. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

Update: Gun was returned from Charter Arms in exactly a week, and the cylinder functions fine. Accuracy wise- it's just not there. I have let four other people shoot it, and like myself, they all get a good grouping but it is a good 12 inches low and left. I noted this when I shipped it to Charter Arms, but it was still the same upon return. If this was shooter error, I'd LOVE to practice more with it, but by this point in time and after shooting other handguns(including revolvers of the same caliber), I just can't say that it's shooter error.

I actually DID research this gun before purchasing it. Whenever I become interested in any item, I research the heck out of it. The only negative was the YouTube video with this gun. I read multiple reviews of the Charter Arms Undercover, which is the "non-colored" version of this gun. They were all good.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Thats strange. I bought one as a bday gift for a family member, and it shoots to point of aim, though i did notice that any error on my part gets magnified, (no that family member doesnt have it yet, still a month til thier bday, but i had to do a quality check, yeah thats it)

13. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

In all fairness to Charter Arms, I wanted to do an update after another month of shooting this revolver.

I haven't had any more mechanical issues with the gun and accuracy has improved to a satisfiable level. After having shot another 250 rounds through it, the trigger has loosened up a little bit and that has helped out with the accuracy. Still not as smooth as a S&W, but I've learned to work with it. I'll do another update in a few months to see if anything has changed.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Make sure to put a couple drops of oil on the hammer (aka main) spring as well, that helped a lot. And my mom loves hers. Its no s&w, but it will do the job. Also, if you reload, the recipe that i found works well, is a 125 gr bullet (i used ranier) cci 500 primer, and 6.7 grains of hodgdon hs-6 smokeless powder. Any more than that and it will be stinging your hand after 8 or 9 rounds.

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Quality control is kinda unpredictable with Charter. I have 5 Charter Arms guns, an "Off Duty", snubbie .38 spl, good accuracy, cycles well, feels solid. No complaint.
    I have a blue "Bulldog Pug", a .44 spl with 2.5" barrel, shoots straight, recoil is a little painful, but cycles well. I used to carry it a lot, it saved my bacon 7 times in about 15 years. I'll keep it as long as I live.
    I also have a stainless Bulldog Pug, that is shabby, to put it mildly. The cylinder rides so close to the backstrap that when loaded, the cylinder won't even rotate unless you really strain to force the trigger back. The cartridge cases drag on the backstrap.
    My stainless 3 inch Bulldog with pocket hammer is perfectly OK. Shoots well, cycles well, no complaint.
    Last (and least) I have a target Bulldog, a .44 spl with a 4 inch barrel and target sights. Shoots pretty straight when I aim it kinda cockeyed to compensate for the barrel/front sight that is about 15 degrees off vertical, but it has suffered a broken "unbreakable" firing pin, which Charter fixed free of charge. It looks kinda shabby because the "finish" is easily scratched. I carry it sometimes when I work in my yard, but it is definitely not a "barbeque gun".
    So 3 out of 5 are OK, 60%.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 642. Mine is great. No problems what so ever. I have put a lot of ammo through it.

17. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

As I promised, I'll do another brief update. We both shot the Pink Lady for my wife's CCW course in December and shot it again this weekend. The trigger pull has really loosened up and that has really improved the accuracy. After the initial issues, we are both pretty satisfied right now.

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Great! I have a Charter Arms "Off Duty", a snubbie .38 SPL that I bought in 1987. Still functions well, easy to conceal, light weight.

(Not pink, though). :cool:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a late 80s Undercover .38. It's not pretty. But it's effective. It's still part of the summer rotation. It fits nicely in riding jacket pocket.
    Charters are kind of homely IMHO, but I'd pick the Charter over the equivalent Taurus.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Buy her a 642 & paint it pink ;)