charging handle

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by FernandoTheCommando, Mar 3, 2013.

1. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Probably an old topic, but do most mini 14s have some play in the charging handle. Just a bit of rattle is normal I'm guessing. Thinking about throwing a 1911 buffer on it. Does the buffer go on the gas block side AND the side that retains the recoil spring towards the breach?

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

Yes the slide does have play in it. I have used buffers on both sides, gas block and against the receiver.

3. FernandoTheCommando

With the buffers on both ends (1911 type) did you have any trouble with the bolt not staying locked to the rear after the last shot is fired?

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

Most people have no problems with the gas block. May have cut or sand down for the rear. I used a flat vacuum cleaner belt.

5. FernandoTheCommando

You used a vacuum cleaner belt as a rear buffer? I'm fine with sanding the buffer down if that's what you mean. Def not comfortable enough to grind away the steel if need be.

6. tri70

tri70 New Member

Yes the buffer only, the flat vacuum cleaner belt works perfect on all 3 minis.

7. COBrien

COBrien New Member

I've got Wilson Combat Shok-Buffs (intended for 1911s) front and rear in my 2008 580 series, and have had no problems with under-gassing (due to the buffer on the gas block) or failure to lock open.

They're inexpensive, but not free like tri70's vacuum belts! ;)

8. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

My 20 year old Mini works just the way I want, right out of the box. See no reason to mess with it. "If it ain't broke..." But, that's just me.

9. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I use 1911 wilson combat buffers on the op rod and gas tube of my 580 mini-14. I havent had one single issue in over 1,000rds with these buffers installed. I have heard of people sanding down the gas tube buffer to insure no out of battery or last round lock open incidents or using a vacuum cleaner belt because of its thinness and toughness.

My op rod has some play in it like most other mini's do. No big deal.

10. FernandoTheCommando

Thanks to you all for your insight. Just ordered the Wilson combat 1911 buffers. Can't wait to try it. Just need to find an accu-strut and I'll be done.

ForumRunner_20130306_121841.jpg

ForumRunner_20130306_121907.jpg

11. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Nice looking selection of firearms.

12. FernandoTheCommando

Thanks! I like reliable, combat accurate guns. I buy guns that I know will go bang every time. Never cared about sub MOA accuracy or fancy acog scopes.