changing sbr carbine gas system to mid length handguard

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ChiefOswald, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ChiefOswald

ChiefOswald New Member

have a 11.5 sbr with carbine length gas system. what is the process to put a mid-length handguard on this setup without changing anything else? Free Float with a low pro gas block?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Lo-pro or cut your existing FSB down to fit under the free float tube.
    [​IMG]
    I cut mine down when I placed a 13" ff tube on my 16" carbine and it works great (and was free):D

3. ChiefOswald

ChiefOswald New Member

Never messed with swapping handguards. How do the ff handguards attach?

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Her's a good video that covers basic removal and installation
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4XzPll9U8]YouTube - installing a free float handguard[/ame]

The barrel nut/FF handguard mount is usually a little different depending on manufacturer(follow their instructions) but the rest of the basics are the same.

Now since you are installing a longer handguard you will have to install a lo-profile gas block or cut down your factory front sight base into a lo-pro gas block. Thats what I was referring to in my first post. Simply cut off the sight riser and reshaped it with a dremel instead of buying a low pro gas block.

Here is a video of installing a long handguard on a 11.5 sbr. Covers what I mean by chopping the FSB
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLL84Ryu0Y&feature=related]YouTube - AR15: Chopping a Front Sight / Gas Block Mod[/ame]

Hope this helps

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good advise.

Cutting the FSB is the best way to go. Youll be sure to get the gas port lined up correctly. Unless you use a pinned on lo pro gas block.

6. jhog

jhog New Member

Gatekeeper, do you like that grip? Looks cool and thinking about getting one.

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Yes I do. I like it mounted on a long hand guard that allows me to shoot with my support arm extended. Shooting on the move and transitions from target to target are very fast and very stable.
    I do not like it mounted on a carbine length hand guard, the angle is just not comfortable (for me) on a short guard. i have long arms however and YMMV
    [​IMG]

8. jhog

jhog New Member

You convinced me now I gotta have one! LOL It will be perfect for my short arms and looks waaay mo betta than a stick hangin down under a barrel! Ha!

9. ChiefOswald

ChiefOswald New Member

Yes, having edm express (local metal work shop) work my a2 right down to a lopro. 11.5 " barrel would look good with a 11" handguard. Having trouble finding different companies/options. Any suggestions?

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

May want to check out this link for 11.5" uppers. They show quite a few options in 10 and 11 inch rails. Would help give you an idea what they would look like on your 11.5"
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-11-Upper-Receiver-Group-s/30.htm

Here is the one they used in the second video link i posted
    VTAC Troy TRX Extreme Battle Rail

This is the same model I have but in 11inch
    Troy TRX Extreme Battle Rail
    Currently out of stock at BCM. You can click on the "E-mail me when on stock" button and BCM will contact you as soon as they have it available

or US Calvary expects them in stock on 2-11-11
    TROY™ TRX Extreme BattleRail

Both are lightweight small diameter tubes and come with additional rail sections you can mount if you need to add an accessory

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. jhog

jhog New Member

Pretty cool stuff. Tell me, do you need a special permit or something to have a barrel less than 16 inchs? If so, what do you have to do to get one.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You have to get a stamp. A $200 stamp that requires paperwork and a decent amount of waiting.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like the Troy EXT as well. I have three of them. I did however mount my AFG directly to the tube rather than use the rail section. The rail gets to warm to not have some sort of buffer b/w your hand and the rail.

[​IMG]