changing calibers on a p14 ?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 1bigtarge, Nov 22, 2010.

1. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

is it possable to rechamber a p14 in a .45/70 ? im wanting to build a cannon out of my sporterized p14 action and im not sure if the action would be able to handle any extra pressures and what modifications i would have to make to the bolt en order to get it to feed a 45/70 rounds and i dont know where to look for a barrel either and im not sure how technical it is to switch a barrel i have taken gunsmithing college courses and have read on switching barrel but have never done it is it something a novice could do under the suppervision of a expert or is it somthing that only a seasoned veteran should try ?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont tink it would work. the bolt isnt large enough to grind it big enough to fit the 45-70 cartridge. there isnt enough chamber to re-chamber it. the amount of money it would take to buy a new barrel and bolt big enough. you could just buy a nice rifle in 45-70.

3. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

what calibers are available ? what about a .308

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

308 winchester is a common conversion for the 303 britsh chambered rifles. there are lots of equipment out there to do it. just make sure your particular P14 is up to snuff for it. take it to a gunsmith that knows the ins and outs to determine exactly which version you have. some of the P14 versions are drastically weaker than others. only a detailed inspection by an expert can make certain.

5. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

What is it chambered for now? I can't see any financialy logical reason to switch to .308. If it is a 30.06 its already more versitile than .308. If it is 303 you would have to shoot a lot of rounds to pay for the difference in the cost of ammo. If it shoots well leave it alone and buy a "cannon".

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Siamese Mausers make great 45/70 conversions and you can find 45/70's from Gibbs.

7. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

the reason im wantching to chane calibers is to make the rifle appial to somone to buy it im trying to sell it but th .303round s not rally in demand around here

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If it hasnt been altered it may be worth more as it is. There are a lot, maybe more, people interested in it the way it is. Myself for one. Can post pictures?

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You best bet would be to rechamber into a popular cartridge like the 30-06 or 7mm rem mag. Something like that

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

If you are trying to sell it, post a price and pics in the correct forum area and I'm sure it will go quickly. I hate it when old milsurps get "converted" or "pimped" out. I'd rather restore it than bugger it up. You wanna buy a cannon, buy a cannon (just my .02).

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

conversions actually ruin the value for resale. if your doing cuz you want to shoot a better cartridge and maintain the feel and look of a classic not a problem. but if you do it to resell you will never make your money back on the conversion cost much less the price you paid to begin with even if it was free. conversions just dont sell that well if at all.

12. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

the gun is worthless to begin with so leave it alone and send it to me i will give it a good home

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You can probably pick up a 30.06 barrel for it as more of them were made in that caliber than 303

14. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

ya it has been altered the rear of the action has been filed down for a scope mount and the barrel has been cut ive thought about restoring it but its almost impossable if the rear sight was still on it i would restor it but i dont think there is any way to add the sight back on it really sucks becuase it was a nice rifle at one point in time but somone had to go bubba it up

15. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

ya i have some picture on my profile ill get more on here later tonight or i can send them to you but ill make sure you get the pics

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

1Big, don't ever underestimate a .303. The P14 was a Brit design, a Mauser copy. Damb fine rifle. W/ 170..180 class bullets it will hammer anything in the Conus. Continuos U.S. (lower 48) for those that don't know.

17. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

JP is right on this, dont sell the old 303 short plus you have it in a action that can take a bit more than the old smle's. keep like it is, finish turning it into a sporter and go for it.

18. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

ya i would love to build a sporter rilfe out of it but i cant find a stock the original was cut off and busted in half and boyds has a 6week wait on a new one the whole reason i got the gun was to fix it up and make a profit but ill see how it shoots and i might decide to keep it

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Get the Bell & Carlson stock and finish sporterizing the rifle. I have a few 1917's that have been sporterized, but would love a P14 in .303. I'm a big .303 fan.

Here is the B&C stock on a 1917.
    [​IMG]

20. 1bigtarge

1bigtarge New Member

man that is a beautiful rifle ill have to look at b&c becuase what you have is almost exaclt what i want thanks man