Changing a gas block

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by matt g, Feb 23, 2010.

1. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

How hard is it to properly align a gas block when you install one?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Is there a way to make sure it's dead-nuts on? I'm worried about sight alignment.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Center your rear sight (mechanical zero) and test fire. If the alignment is off, loosen the set screws on your gas block and turn it slightly in the direction of your POI. (eg. If it's shooting to the right - turn the gas block to the right.) Tighten set screws and test fire again. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your using a picatinny block you can level the receiver then level the block. same as leveing a scope in a way.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gas Block Alignment

Matt,

I usually take a small bubble balance square 5" And bubble balance the flat top receiver cross-ways to be sure it is square in the vise. Then I repeat the same procedure on the gas block picatinny rail. Both should be level with each other. Very seldom do I have a sight problem if installing a flip up front. However mostly I use the Gas Block to do away with the iron sights and put a scope on a rifle.

6. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

May be a stupid question, can any AR have that tall front sight gas block be replaced with a low profile gas block, another question I always wondered does that traditional sight get in the way of scopes or dot sights? seems like it would

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

10 characters

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

An interesting thing happens with scoped ARs, even though you'd swear the FSB would have to block the line of sight, if the scope is say 4x or more the telephoto effect often gets the FSB out of view. The first time I tried it I was amazed and had to move my finger up the FSB until I saw its blur through the scope. Such a scope would have to be mounted real low for the FSB to be a problem. If that's the only reason you're considering a low profile gas block it's sure worth a little testing before going to all that trouble especially if the standard FSB already cowitnesses properly with your RDS.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

Thanks thats alot of help

10. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I just got a new, lighter barrel and a new gas block. The barrel is blank, it has no indentations for set screws or grooves for taper pins :confused:. Do set screws not need indentations? If they DO need indentations, what's the best way to go about making them?