Changing a Com spec to a Mil spec buffer

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by pawjr74, Jun 9, 2013.

1. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I don't want to hijack anybody else's thread so I started a new one. I have a Del Ton Sport and I want to change the commercial buffer to a mil spec buffer. I'm not sure why they went com spec buffer and that's really the only thing that bothers me about the set-up. Everything else works fine for me. My question is what mil spec buffer should I go with? (H1 or H2 etc) I mostly shoot PMC (.223 & 5.56) and I don't want to create any feed issues. I'm guessing that this (see picture below) is a semi auto AR15 BCG. I have no idea what the buffer would be comparable to now. I have a feeling it's over gassed. The brass hits the deflector with some force. Any input would be appreciated. This is my first AR and I'd like to learn all I can from it before I look at building my next one.
    [​IMG]
    SPECS
    Barrel:
    4140 Steel
    16" Length
    1x9 Twist
    A2 Flash Hider
    Manganese Phosphated
    Phosphated under Front Sight Base
    Taper Pins on A2 Front Sight Base
    Threaded Muzzle
    Light Weight Barrel
    Chamber:
    5.56 X 45 mm
    Bolt And Carrier:
    Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
    Carpenter 158 Bolt
    Heat Treated and Plated HPT/MPI
    Mil-Spec
    Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
    Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
    Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key
    Handguards:
    Carbine Length
    Aluminum Delta Ring
    Single Heat Shield
    Upper Receiver:
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
    A3 Flat Top with White T-Marks
    Hard Coat Anodized
    Mil-Spec
    Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
    Right Hand Ejection
    Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface
    Lower Receiver:
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Hard Coat Anodized
    Mil-Spec
    Aluminum Triggerguard
    Semi-Auto
    Aluminum Mag Catch Button
    Buttstock:
    M4 6 Position
    Reinforced Fiber
    Commercial Sized Tube
    Weight:
    5.8 lbs Empty
    Length:
    36.375" Fully Extended
    32.625 Collapsed

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Change the tube you will also need to change to rear stock. you dont mind the extra cost?

3. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

No, I would be buying a stock kit.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

There is absolutely no difference in the performance between the two, all mil-spec means is military specification, it doesn't make it better. It's just the way that they do it. Changing the tube and stock is little more than a waste of funds.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  5. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Good to know. So here's another question then. Do they make different weight commercial spec buffers? If its over gassed can I go with a heavier com spec buffer? Are com spec buffers still marked H1, H2 etc?

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Exactly...

If anything, the commercial tube is stronger because its thicker.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The inside diameter is the same between com spec and MilSpec. A heavier buffer could make your gun run more reliably, but if it doesn't need it why spend the cash??

8. sputnik1988

I am fairly certian that there isn't a commercial only buffer, I'm almost certian that they all work, but I would double check with one of our AR15 experts here.

9. sputnik1988

Despite the name of the 'brass defector', your casings should never touch it, a heavier buffer moves your ejection point forward, alleviating the problem. I've been meaning to get a heavier buffer myself for this reason.

10. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

So if it ain't broke then don't fix it right.
    Should the brass be leaving marks on the deflector? I seems like it's hitting it with too much force. (That's why I'm thinking it's over gassed?) Thanks for being patient with me I'm still learning the platform. :)

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

The inside diameter of the buffer tubes on the milspec and commercial are close enoigh to same and all carbine buffers can be used in either type.

The milspec are smaller meaning slightly more rigid so if you gotta buttstroke a fool or two its less likely to snap on you.

12. sputnik1988

It shouldn't even touch the deflector.

13. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Well I think I need a heavier buffer then. The one in it now is not marked so maybe I'll contact Del Ton and find out what weight is in it now and go up a notch.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I have seen many M16s and ar-15's that the deflector is doing what it was made for, deflecting.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well if the buffer face isn't marked it should be a standard weight buffer (about 3 oz). Which is what I'd expect from a comspec DTI. Since you have carbine length gas and a SA carrier, I'd bet the H2 buffer would be about right. If you didn't run low power ammo you could get away with the H3. Even if the H3 is too much you could swap a tungsten weight with a steel weight from your standard buffer and end up with an H and an H2!

16. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Is there any need to change the action spring when changing buffers?

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Probably not. I use standard springs from BCM and PSA and can't tell much difference in feel or operation. Don't know what DTI uses. Measure the spring, it should be about 10.5-11.5".

Some folks swear by Sprinco stuff (and no doubt it's good) but most of us use standard springs.

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

My advice is that you leave your gun "as-is", apart from minor upgrades that will better suit it to you as a shooter (furniture, optics, accessories). And then shoot. And then shoot some more. And learn what you value in the ideal AR. And then build your own gun, to your own desires, piece by piece...or find a fairly priced gun that suits your fancy. I used to have a DPMS Sportical with a Millet red dot. I added an M16 BCG and Magpul MOE furniture for my own preferences and piece of mind.

Keep the DelTon as a plinker, because it was probably a very good gun purchased at a very fair price. I'm just not sure it's a gun that's worthy of a massive overhaul IMO.

That's how I feel your firearm/money will be best served. But YMMV. I prefer a milspec buffer, but agree with others that it's a somewhat trivial detail that might not be worth paying to alter.

19. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

That's good advise. I don't plan on doing too much to it. I've upgraded the front hand guard and wanted to address the buffer. The way I see it is if I buy good quality parts (like the hand guard and buffer) I can use them on my next build and return the Del Ton to stock. I do understand what you're saying about not dumping a ton of money into a base model AR.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Again, 16" barrel, carbine length gas, SA BCG ... an H2 buffer is a good fit. If too heavy you can turn it into an H.

Cheap, easy upgrade and should get brass off the deflector.