Change In Career....

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by ArizonaLawman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

Not to worry though...I will NOT be an ambulance chaser. As of now, my plan is to specialize in firearm law and self defense representation. I will especially NOT work in the public defender's office. Though working as a prosecutor for a year or two has some appeal.

That's three years away, assuming my old brain is still capable of learning anything new.

At least I won't have to work while going to school...the pension checks will continue to roll on in.

Wish me luck all.

(I will set up a paypal account for legal questions...LOL...just kidding)

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Finally... FTF will have a resident lawyer! You gonna start charging for legal advice?

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Congrats!! Anyone who has the support to keep active after retirement gets the nod from me! [​IMG]

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Congrats!! You will have fun.

5. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Thanks guys.

I was seriously thinking about going back to being a cop with the sheriff's department here. I had the offer on the table from the Sheriff himself...but decided to be a sworn-reserve (get paid a dollar a month) instead, and go back to school.

I can keep teaching defensive handgun, and home defense when I'm not in school.

Funny thing is, I get asked SO many legal questions, and I have to keep reminiding people that I was a cop, not a lawyer so I can only give anecdotal answers, and answers based upon Title 7 and 13, and my own experience enforcing the law. In a few years, I won't have to give that disclaimer. So, I start in January with a semester picking up a couple of classes to prep me a bit better for next fall when I start in earnest.

The nice thing is...as retired LE...and HR218...I have an exemption, and can carry ON CAMPUS! :)

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Congrats. Have fun. It'll be nice knowing that we have a lawyer on our side for once. :D

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What this country NEEDS is more Gun-Friendly lawyers!

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

It's good to hear that there will be at least one armed defender on campus!

PS I promise to keep the lawyer jokes to a minimum. - cane :p

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Thats awesome! Your far braver than me :p!

I was recently wondering when you would write a book, seeing as your such a well-spring of knowledge and information. I think most people enjoy learning more about the LEO perspective on a variety of issues.

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Your going to serve coffee at Starbucks??? :rolleyes:

Congrats, I'm sure you will add some integrity and real world expertise to the profession.

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Congratulations and good luck! Call me when you are finished, I have some unpaid parking tickets I want to talk to you about....

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Best wishes for your new endeavor.

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

It's awesome to see LEOs getting into the courtroom to help their fellow officers. Best of luck in your new adventure!

let the bullets do the talking!

13. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Just remember all...I am 3 1/2 years away from being done...in the mean time, I will still know just enough to be dangerous.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Since you know it's dangerous keep it holstered until you have no choice!!!:eek:

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

When you get your degree, consider becoming a judge.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Good luck with it! I've had a few friends go through law school, and they enjoyed most of it. There seemed to be a LOT of out-of-class group activities.

17. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

THAT is the last thing people would want. Talk about creative sentencing and being a "hangin' judge".

18. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

when your done,i agree with JTJ..become a judge,but a traffic judge in PA n let me out of the BS traffic tickets that police love to give me when ever i seem to drive.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I've often thought it would be fun to go back and get a law degree. Then I remember I already have way too much education than is good for any one person. :eek:

20. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

THAT'S GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best of luck to you.