Chambering a blank 308 barrel in 7,62 x 54R

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by h-bkram, Oct 11, 2010.

1. h-bkram

h-bkram New Member

Hello.

I have a new blank 308 barrel and I have an original Clymer 7,62 x 54R reamer.
    Now I'm wondering if I can get this 308 barrel chambered in 7,62 x 54R.
    Or do I have to modify this reamer.

Any advice and/or sugestion is welcome.

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I'd be more concerned about bore diameter. 7.62X54R uses a .311" diameter bullet.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ditto what he said.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Do you reload? If you reload you can use .308 bullets in your handloaded 7.62x54R ammo. That's the only way I would recommend it.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Ought to be interesting for the poor schmo that ends up buying that rifle in an auction somewhere down the line when the original owner is long gone.
    :eek:

I suppose you could claim it's a new wildcat.....
    .30-30-54 Winchester??? :D

6. superc

superc Member

blank barrel.

Do you mean a barrel blank?

Or, do you mean a barrel designated and approved only for the firing of blanks?

If the first, then the comments about groove and land diameter are apro,

If the second, don't do it. Barrels designated for blanks only are often substandard barrels.

7. Shade

Shade New Member

Barrel blanks can come in several configurations, but the most common is a
    drilled and rifled bore but not chambered for any particular round, often the
    OD profile is selected in the purchasing process.

But they can be unprofiled or rough chambered for a particular round.

The term barrel blank has nothing what-so-ever to do with shooting
    blank ammunition in it

Examples...
    MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

8. Shade

Shade New Member

I'd pick a different round to chamber it in, or do you have your heart set on
    this round?

9. Gunfan--actic

Gunfan--actic New Member

Sell the "blank barrel" in .308, and buy one in 7.62x54R????? Just a thought. Personally, I would stick with the .308 and build a rifle on that round, then get a 7.62x54r barrel in the future and build another. That reminds me, I have a couple hundred rounds of 7.62x54r, but sold the custom sporter Mosin Nagant I built. I gotta find another Mosin Nagant!

10. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

I got another sporter I'd love to sell ya, got a car project that needs money and a sporter Mosin that already took it!

I have heard quite a few people rebarreling their Mosin's action with a .308dia barrel and reloading with .308. Since mine doesn't seem to shoot well under any circumstances other than it's cold out and there is Wolf FMJ's handy, I'd think it'd be a great idea to rebarrel and reload in .308 diameter. Much more bullet selection.

Just my .02

-Travis

11. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

I did this with a Mosin receiver I bought a few years back and it sat in my workshop drawer since it arrived. I found a heavy target profile barrel blank at a gun shop while I was travelling last year to pick up some Garand parts. Paid like 20 bucks for it. I ordered a complete sniper bolt. Lapping the lugs was the next step. A trip to my machinist found the receiver trimmed and face lapped. The front ring was drilled and tapped for scope base. The barrel was threaded, gently contoured, and tightened. Final head spacing was uneventful using a hand turned reamer. Adding a muzzle brake seemed logical. Then a trip to www.boydsgunstocks.com netted a laminated thumb hole blank that caused me no small amount of sweat and tears to inlet, but was finished finally. A solid bedding job with 0000 steel wool saturated with JB Weld and torqued into place, full length, and allowed to cure for 2 full weeks before taking it apart. A working over of the bore with polishing media netted a slicker'n a baby's butt bore ride for the bullets. A 6-24x52 varmint scope sitting in the 30mm rings topped it off, with a Harris bi-pod providing a stable platform. Then a trip to the loading bench with a collection of once fired Norma brass procured in a trade. Using some WC-846 I got from Pat's in Ohio and Remington Mag Rifle primers all assembled in a lowly Lee Loader. A quick trip to the back porch, and back to the loading bench a few times... The final analysis being...1/2MOA is possible with the 7.62x54R using 172gr .308's...I know, I know....why drop that $300 in parts and labor in a split ring WW1 battle rifle receiver...the answer is, it's one of a kind, and it shoots great. Sure, you can do the same thing with Remington, Winchester, Savage...but the fun is creating something useful and original. So, go for it...just remember to correctly stamp the barrel. I did mine with a ----308x54R(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHAMBER 7.62X54R)-----

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Let's see some pics, TP. Sounds like a fun project.

13. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

I wish I could, but like a retard, I traded it a couple years back for a Springfield Armory 1911.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Bummer. Would you mind building another one?

15. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

I could do that

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Perfect! Please start it soon, and post plenty of pics. :p

17. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

I'll keep an eye out for another stripped receiver and when time/funds permit, start a posting. Right now, I'm intimately involved with a 6.5 Grendel on a TNW platform. Boring, but I have been curious about TNW's stuff for a while. Gonna have to use an Alexander barrel, but wish TNW made one...

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Alexander gets theirs from Shilen. My shooting partner had problems with his bulging cases and it took over a year for Alexander to get him a new barrel. Their CS was deplorable.

19. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

That would be indicative of an oversized chamber, or overcharged reloads. Did anyone ever pinpoint the exact problem? The only time I've ever experienced bulged cases was when I was running really hot loads through commercial 98 Mauser chambered in .458 Win Mag and then it was just below the point of blowing primer pockets. If he is reloading, he may want to double check his powder handling equipment, if factory loads, a letter to whoever loaded the things may be in order. Unless Shilen has taken leave of their collective senses and are using out of spec/over sized reamers. I've shot many of their barrels in the past and never had a problem with the quality of their product.But, anything is possible. Let me know what they found out in the end equation....thanks!

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It was a bad barrel. Alexander said they had received a bad batch from Shilen.