Chambered Revolver

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by notdku, Mar 24, 2010.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

When you conceal carry your revolver do you keep it chambered?

Had a friend preaching not to leave one in the chance the hammer comes back a little and sets it off.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sure do. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar type safety that prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled...

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Load your gun and go to the range,then cock the hammer,hold the hammer and pull the trigger until the hammer releases and hold the hammer in place, then let off the trigger fully,then with your finger off the trigger,let the hammer go on a full strike-guess what-it won't fire!The transfer bar won't be between the hammer and firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully back.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I said it in less words!

5. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

This ain't the 1800's. All modern revolvers use a transfer bar or similar device. Load them chambers up!

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

What I kept telling him but he very adamantly claimed not all modern revolvers do, that he has first hand seen a revolver go off unintentional from a hit on the hammer.

Complete lie?

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I know of no modern revolvers (unmodified) from any major manufacturer that would allow this to happen. Maybe one of the old RGs or something...

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I dont know if his statement is a lie or not, but I do believe that older revolvers and replicas of older revolvers can discharge and that an empty chamber should be under the hammer. The owners manuals of many single action cowboy revolvers (Colt Single Action) even reccommend carrying only 5 bullets. I also believe that SASS has a rule that you can only carry 5 bullets in a 6 shooter, or 4 bullets in a 5 shooter with the hammer over the empty chamber for this reason.

That being said.......I do carry my modern revolvers with all chambers loaded and I leave one out for the cowboy pistols.

I think that it would be really tough for somebody to comment on the statement that allmodern revolvers do or do not have a feature with all of the revolvers makers out there.

10. Mark F

Probably... but not necessarily. Terribly MIS-INFORMED... is a better choice.

There isn't a single "modern" revolver (that's functioning properly) that will go off from a hammer strike.

11. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Vaquero that both have a transfer bar and are completely safe when fully loaded. However, the Uberti six shooters do not have a transfer bar and I wouldn't carry one with a round in the chamber. So I don't think ALL modern revolvers have a transfer bar...

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My bad. I do not own and have never shot a SA revolver. When someone mentions revolver, I automatically assume a modern DA revolver. My statement does apply to all modern DA revolvers from mainstream manufacturers...

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, my Ruger Elsie Ahrrrr even has a audible safety check.

Just shake it and you can hear the transfer bar rattle!

Me thinks its not a design function??

[​IMG]

14. Mark F

RIGHT, Not all gun makers use a transfer bar but they DO utilize some sort of SAFETY. Uberti uses FIRST NOTCH SAFETY... and it is just as safe as a transfer bar.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Your friend is misinformed if he is speaking of a double action revolver such as a Smith, Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, etc. Either transfer bar, or an equivalent safety system. To fire my model 36 that resides on my weak side, the trigger needs to be all the way back for the hammer to fall, and the FP strike a primer. It would be possible to clamp it in a vise, take a 3 lb engineer's hammer, and pound the hammer until it shatters, and THEN it might fire, when the broken hammer was driven forward. But I always unload my Chief's Special before attacking it with a hammer. :rolleyes:

iver.jpg

This ad is from 1905. Yep- 105 years ago. Think this has been around a while. An original Colt Single Action, the Old style Ruger Single action- YES- there is an exposure. However, some folks believe that applies to ANY revolver. (They also believe politician promises, but let's not go there....."

16. Mark F

WHAT? Politicians LIE??? What is this world coming to...

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

dont want to go off in your holster.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you want to prove it to someone do this;
    Take an unloaded revolver, cock the hammer and point it to the sky. Drop a pencil down the barrel, eraser first. Squeeze the trigger in the normal fashion. The pencil will be shot up by the firing pin strike. Remove pencil and recock. Insert the pencil and tap the trigger with your finger like a nun would hit you on the head in school. The trigger will release the hammer but spring forward faster than the hamer and the firing pin will not hit the pencil.

Smith & Wesson revolvers have two internal safeties that prevent the hammer from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled. One is the steel to steel engagement between the hammer and the rebound slide. The second is the hammer block that attaches to the rebound and slips up to block the hammer unless the trigger is held to the rear.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  19. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

This thread is now officially dead.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I remember some years back there was a big advertisig campaign promoting emply chambers in both autos and revolvers. I would say it was at least 15 years ago because I fell for it. That would not happen today. It was quite widespread. I remember seeing a full page ad in a magazine like Guns and Ammo or something like that. As I remember, it was probably quite misleading. I bet it was from some anti gun group.