Challenge coins? does anyone collect and/or trade them??

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DrFootball, Jun 22, 2013.

1. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Some background: In WWI an American Pilot was shot down(rumor has it that it was the famous Edward Rickenbacker but no one has ever been able to confirm) over the French trench lines, and was recovered by the French, who thought he was a German Flyer , when he said "Look I'm an American" and produced a "Coin" with the American Flag on one side and the insignia of The American Flyers one the other...and thus, challenge coins were born...

One of my Uncles was a WWII & Korean War Marine Corps Pilot, and later would become one of the Orig. NYPD Flight officers..He also taught me how to fly(at age 12). The first coin I ever had was from the AF Museum @ Wright/Patterson AFB, that another cousin gave me(who would go on to be CH.of Staff Of the USAF-Retiring last November after 42 Years...) Over the years I collected other coins, but I didn't begin displaying and trading them until this last year when My Wife & I bought our house and started a "Memorial Wall" to Both our Fathers-Hers was a Combat Eng. with the 25th Inf. Div. In Korea & then a NYPD Officer for 28 years, Retiring as a Supv. Lt. MY Dad Served as an Artillery Battery Sgt. In Korea (2 Years of Combat) and then began a Reserve Career that lasted until 1984, Including a Trip to Vietnam in 1965(as a criminal Investigator), and concurrently was also a Federal LEO(Post Office Police/Postal Insp.) until his passing in Late 1987(he was Also a Lt. at the time of his passing). Front of my display-from left to right: 4 of the Helicopters I flew, the Mh/UH-60 Blackhawk, UH-1 Huey, AH-1 Cobra, and the Kiowa Warrior(OH-58D), US Army Combat Action, Vietnam Memorial Wall coin, US Army Aviation Coin, IAVA.Org coin. Rear: Decoration coins-PH, Bronze Star, Silver star, DFC, Soldiers Medal, Air Medal,(still missing a few! Not even Medals of America Makes Army Comm. Or MSM Coins!) and My Unit Coins-1st Cav, 160th Sp.Ops Av. Batt./Grp.(now a Regt.) and 10th Av Brigade/10th Mtn..... I also Carry an Oval shaped US Army Aviator Coin in my right pocket.....and trade The Army Aviation Coins & Army Veteran Core Values Coins to get others which go in a different display(I have extras of those)....
    image-566781598.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

the name "challenge coin" means that if you have been issued a unit's coin (log kept of all recipients} and are CHALLENGED by a fellow recipient (usually at a bar). then you must display it.....if not, you must buy the challenger a drink.
    '

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice collection football. I myself only have one. It is President George W. Bush's Commander in Chief coin, given to me by the man himself. Ill post a picture tomorrow when I'm off work.

It is probably my most (sentimentally) valuable thing I own. Except for my wedding ring.

4. DrFootball

Awesome!!

Outstanding JW! We met Mr. Regan & Mr.Bush Sr. when they "Greeted" us at the WH...I was Still recovering from my injuries and My PT & Critical Care Nurse both wanted me in a Wheelchair,..but I got a few of the Boys to get me a Pr. of Crutches!!!:cool:

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sorry. Completely forgot to post the pictures.

image-1918621971.jpg

image-1521750636.jpg

6. DrFootball

Nice! hope you keep it in a safe secure place...

7. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I have a coin from R. Lee Ermy while he was on a Glock tour. I told him I was a Corpsman at LeJeune, and he palmed it to me when we shook hands goodbye (with a Semper Fi!).

I have one from Sig too, good for some discounts.

8. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have mine (somewhere) from my military unit issued to me in the early 80's.

9. DrFootball

Nice! I'm still trying to find My US Army Shooting team Coin from the 3 years I was an "Auxilliary" team Member....

10. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've got a couple from my time in the service and one from my grandfather.

Attached Files:

11. DrFootball

Nice ones! Is that an Orig. 101st ABn Coin?? (I was a screaming eagle for about 10 minutes once!)

12. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Yep, that was my last duty station 2/327th INF. My favorite though is the 1st Air Cavalry (pendant I guess) it has a piece on top where it looks like you could hang it, but it doesn't go all the way through. Anyway the other side has "First Team". Given to me by my dad from my Grandfathers estate!

Attached Files:

13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I got one from Gunny too when I met him at the Glock booth at the 2012 NRA meetings in St Louis. I told him I've been watching all his shows and movies since I was 7 and that I collected military weapons and memorabilia. He thanked me for respecting history and supporting him. He took something out of his pocket and put it in my hand and shook me hand. Awesome guy.

image-46679823.jpg

image-1773935683.jpg

14. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Yes he is!

We met him at GAT gun in Dundee IL for a Glock event. People were lined up before the doors opened. The event officially started at 11:00am until 3:00. He did some promo stuff before the event officially started, met everyone in line (a couple hundred folks of all ages), signed anything presented (DVDs, slides, cases, hats ...), posed and got pictures with everyone that donated a toy or cash to Toys for Tots, and finished around 4:30 or so ... and never took a break, never sat down, and gave everyone some attention (especially active duty and vets) without rushing them off.

When that was over, he did some more promo stuff.

He is one of my favorite public figures, and by all accounts "a regular guy."

15. DrFootball

Very Nice! I was In the 229th Av./1st BCT/1st Cav. from 3/80 until 1/82....Thats when the powers that be decided to make the 229th part of the 101st,..except for myself & 7 other Officers,...we got "recruited" for another unit...

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah I stood in line for 3 hours and and the line was several hundred people long. He took time to take pictures, sign autographs and talk for a minute or two for each and every one of them, no break. He didn't have a problem signing extra ones either, I asked him to sign an extra picture for my friend and didn't have a problem. Real down to earth guy. Wish there were more celebrities like him.

17. DrFootball

The Gunny came to NYC on a book tour several years ago, and that semester I was teaching the Jr.ROTC Class (again) at the Local Regular Ed. HS down the street from my Spec. Ed. HS(where I was Asst. Head Football coach,..Apple Computer Shop Teacher, and Asst. Dean.) So I offered to take whomever wanted to go from the class, as I was going anyway, and i also brought one of my SPec Ed Kids, as he was Graduating that June and was High Functioning enough and in good physical shape to Enlist, and was Going to The Marines himself. It was Off Season for Football so it was a "free" Friday Night for me, and I was going to ask him to sign A Marine Aviation Magazine that had My uncle's Pic on the cover from the Korean War(My Uncle was an ace in both WWII & Korea, and went on to become one of the NYPD's first Air officers). Not only did he greet Every person on the line(at least 200 of us) and take pictures with Whomever asked,..when he found out my Students(who all came in their ROTC Fatigues!!) were Jr ROTC, and that their Instructor brought them there,..he Singled me out to those gathered as "a Shining Example of what American Educators SHOULD be(and told me" I know Your ARMY Son, But I think you would have made a good Marine! I Then Introduced him to "H" and told him he was enlisting. Gunny Spent 10 Mins. with my Student, telling him what to expect, and what would be expected of him..( "H" is now on his 2nd tour of the lovely Afgani countryside, an E5, he fixes Radios when he's not on patrol as the RTO. He is completing his 6th Year as a Marine, and is "promotable" to E6) Needless to say My Principal was Pissed that I didn't tell him so he could have the DOE send a photographer!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  18. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Here is a few of mine, Military & Law Enforcement.

[​IMG]

19. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Nice collection!!

20. DrFootball

Very Nice! I have to Take a pic of the big Board on the wall of the ones i get in exchange for mine..

Last row right middle: Is that Coast Guard?