Chalk one up for this off-duty officer

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by Mack Bolan, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

getting held up at a south side gas station by a few teenagers....

looked pretty quick on the draw to me....the whole thing goes down pretty fast actually....just like they always tell you....the clear copy is probably a great training video....

glad the officer made out ok......and two bad guys had to run from their dying cohort like the cowards they are...:cool:

http://www.policemag.com/channel/pa...40211&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

2. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

The question to me always becomes how to determine if the perp(s) are not paying attention and when to reach for your gun. Wrong timing and you could be the one lying on the ground.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They were probably careless because they dont run into armed victims very often in IL. When FL went ccw the criminals started targeting rental cars so they would get unarmed visitors.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

yeah, i think about the same thing myself. At least in my (non firearms related) experience, i think reactions for the most part only become natural when they're engrained in muscle memory....so i have to think a good portion of that comes from a lot of practice and training.

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

This is precisely why I am against Open Carry in an urban area.;)
    From a tactical and safety stand point the element of surprise is extremely important in a lethal confrontation. :(

6. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Masad Ayoob, LE Trainer, author and professional witness for 30 years, has demonstrated in court several times that a person trained to draw smoothly can draw and fire twice before a person holding a gun on the shooter can discharge one round. He usually does this by having the bailiff hold a gun on him while he is CCWing an IWB holster. He tells the deputy to pull the trigger as soon as he feels in danger. Ayoob gets at least two shots off before the deputy consistently.

This is why practicing drawing at home is at least as important as shooting. The great thing is that you can practice drawing any time your vegging in front of the TV or computer. Unload your weapon, have someone else check it, then draw, press towards target, fire. You wouldn't believe how quickly you can become better than most LEO. Remember, this isn't the ol' West high noon shoot out - it's your life. Practice consistently and remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Don't try to be fast at first, just do it smoothly and without errors. Speed is a byproduct of perfect practice.

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

But the flip-side is you may not have the confrontation in the first place. I'd rather avoid it but I will likely never open carry even though it is legal here in Va.

8. TekGreg

Criminals are usually very good at one thing - identifying victims. They have done it most of their life and adjusted when they got it wrong. They believe the people they pick are going to cower, surrender and do whatever they're told. They therefore concentrate on what valuables you have and demanding that you hand them over. Going for your gun is not suspicious because you're just getting something to give to them, i.e. Wallet, keys, cell phone, iPod, etc. if you are smooth in upholstering and firing, the criminal's mind takes a few milliseconds to change gears and that's just enough for you to have the advantage if you've practiced. You know you're in a shooting situation, he's concentrating on a robbery.

Practice at home for this very scenario - it is winnable. You can also prepare by having your EDC or BUG right where your wallet should be with something like this. These take extra practice but are huge on surprise.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Every gang-banger wannabe punk with a gun in Chicago should get exactly the same treatment.
    A bullet to the head.

10. TekGreg

You may not be targetted by a criminal if carrying openly, but if he does, he and his friends are all ready for you. Any psychological advantage of being armed is gone. They either hope to take the gun, in which case you've armed criminals, or they want you to draw so they can shoot you. While OC may give you an advantage of not being targetted in the first place, the danger seems to be that the ones that will target you are ready for you and don't expect a non-violent outcome.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

What about the ammo shortage? There was a great meatpacking district up there at one time...

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And what does this have to do with the Open Carry debate? Why do some people try to twist everyting into something that fits their agenda?

Thug, gun, dead. End of story

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

in illinoise, if the person being robbed wasnt a police officer off duty or not shoots crack mom's little snowflake that person would be facing murder charges for not letting the little snowflake steal his car or murder him...

cant be having one less welfare vote be put in the ground you know.

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are referring to 'avoidance' in general your are correct.
    But if you are referring to OC as a deterrent your believing in a myth.
    Open carry does not stop a bandit intent on committing a crime, it only lets him know who is armed and when and how to neutralize that THREAT to himself. I support the RIGHT to OC but I know from experience it is not very smart or safe to openly carry a gun in public unless you are required to as a uniformed LEO or Security Officer.:(
    I know there are those who think it is the 'right' thing to do (OC). I feel sorry for them and their family as you can't get them to use a little common sense and not OC.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  15. JonM

JonM Moderator

This isn't about oc vs ccw please discuss that in a different thread in the self defense ccw subforum. Either start a new thread there or dig up one of the older ones about the topic.

Thanks.

16. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

here's an unmasked version from liveleak....

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6e_1392219642[/ame]

wow how did that automatically embed?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

The whole thing went down in less than 10 seconds. And the cop did indeed draw smoothly and quickly, and fire the gun before the perp had time to realize what was about to happen. It makes it clear that to practice drawing THEN shooting is important, and not just standing still and poking holes in a target at 50 yards.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Another observation: the cop remained situationally aware after shooting the primary threat. He moved toward cover. Returned to the assailant and got the gun out of reach. The threat did continue to move and reached toward the weapon. So even a contact distance head shot did not definitively end the threat.

19. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

They just picked on the wrong person. He had a decision to make, let them rob him and hope they went away. Or take them on, not a position most would like to be in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  20. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

All very good points, especially about the suspects ability to remain a threat even after mortally wounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk