Chainmail armor

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by capto56, Oct 13, 2012.

1. capto56

capto56 New Member

Been researching it after finding out how expensive it was at the renaissance festival. Looked pretty easy to make. Kind of curious if anyone has had a chance to make any and if they have pointers. Here's what I've come up with so far. The rings are homemade.

image-859497034.jpg

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Buddy of mine in high school, our AD&D Game Master actually, built himself a full head piece with neck protector and it went down over the traps and spine/throat/upper breastbone.

Took him about a month or 2, if I recall, but I remember it being heavy as hell. :eek:

It was was enough that if he made the full chest piece and I laid on my back, I could have conceivably had problems getting up...LOL

Looks good so far. I have zero in the way of trips or tricks, but I'll bump this back up because this is a pretty cool home project.

JD

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That's the reason why they made the coats of mail out of an aluminum magnesium alloy. ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've done some chain mail. I wrapped the wire on a dowel real tight, slid the coil off, then cut straight down it with some tin snips.

Then I held an open loop with needle nosed pliers, placed the closed loops, and closed the open one with some flat nosed pliers. That about how your doing it?

I used stainless, and made a bad ass set of mud flaps. Because I gave up on a full suit...

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Chain mail, may I introduce you to Mr. Bodkin?
    bodkin arrow.jpg

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

How about Mr Bullet?

7. capto56

capto56 New Member

Yep, pretty much the same. Going to get a dremel abrasive wafer disc cutter tomorrow. The mini bolt cutters I have are too cheap and dont line up well enough.

I'd love to do it out of stainless if it wasn't so expensive. Using 14 gauge galvanized steel. Gettin heavier by the link.

It won't stop a bullet but it could stop zombie teeth ;)

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I too have made some. I was young and dumb and an apprentice in an armorer's guild. Don't laugh. Even had our own (albeit rented) workshop with electricity, forge, big anvils and forming tools...

There is no easy way but you haven't made a single link of chainmail yet. You want bigger diameter, harder steel, wire; and don't forget you have to rivet, forge weld, or braze the links closed.

Oh, and you're doing this because?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I worked with a man who used to make chainmail. He would do it at work when it was slow. We called it 'knitting metal'. He made a whole 'shirt' or whatever you would call it. It was incredibly awesome. Now he's into carving. This guy is very talented when it comes to creating things.

10. bkt

bkt New Member

That looks really good so far. I used to make mail years ago but the guy I was doing the work for insisted on riveting each link - flatten out the ends, overlap them, drill a small hole, rivet them together. Do the next one. Talk about time consuming!

Mind if I ask why you're getting into this?

11. capto56

capto56 New Member

Well it started last year at the renaissance festival. I saw someone wearing chainmail armor and asked how much they paid. They said $200. I thought that was a bit ridiculous but kept thinking about it throughout the year.

This year I went with the intent on purchasing a set for $200. Idk why. Anyways, cheapest he had was $300 and that was for a short sleeved small shirt made out of aluminum. The full shirt or hauberk was $500 out of steel. I passed.

I couldn't understand why it was so much money until I started working on it myself. Not as tedious as some things but it is time consuming.

So I guess I really don't have a reason why I started or why I actually want a set. Just always been intrigued by the medieval ages I suppose.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...chainmail? :eek:

Someone REALLY REALLY REALLY needs a girlfriend! ;)

Tack

13. capto56

capto56 New Member

She thinks I'm nuts too :)

14. bkt

bkt New Member

Nah. You have to find the right woman.

Perspective: There are two large battle-ready swords on the walls in my bedroom, seven swords in my office, two in my wife's office, three in my living room, three in my dining room, and two in the spare room. We also have medieval spears, helms, armor and period pieces throughout the house. My wife did the decorating.

God, I love her.

(Oh, and my son has three blunt weapons (Bec de Corbin, mace, and war club), a Scottish claymore and a short sword littering his walls. All battle-ready.)

So what's a little chain mail?

15. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Looks nice but "real" chain mail had the ends of each ring riveted together. Without that any stabbing weapon just pushes right through.

16. capto56

capto56 New Member

I'll have to tell my gf that that's what normal people do. I would like to convince her to let me get a couple swords. I'll start out small ;)

17. capto56

capto56 New Member

I don't know how people can make full suits the way I'm doin it let alone hammering and riveting each dam ring. I think I made my rings too small and it makes it a bit hard to work with. I'll post a pic in a bit. Working on it right now

18. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

You want to make the rings as small as you possibly can. Granted, the smaller they are the heavier it will be and the more time it will take to manufacture. But it all depends on what you intend to have it for. If its just blades, than ring mail would be sufficient. Don't forget that all of those armors were suplemented with leather and padding under them. But it looks good so far.

19. capto56

capto56 New Member

image-3433253853.jpg

Here's an update. This is taking forever. I have a short attention span and very little free time lol.

image-3661995037.jpg

With my hand for reference. It makes it look a lot smaller...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Real chainmail? Y'all don't be so damn disparaging. Things throughout time have remained pretty much the same in terms of people working with what they have.

Today, and in the medieval times, chainmail was made with butted rings, riveted rings, brazed, and forge welded. It all depends on what you have to work with, how much time you want to spend on it, and how much money you want to make (if your making it for sale). Many people repaired their own chainmail with field expedient materials back in the day (as evidenced by dug up artifacts), such as leather thongs, broken pieces possibly from an enemies armor, and field made repair parts.

There is nothing not real about Capto's project here. And no, I don't claim to be an expert as some snobbish A-holes do. But I did have a history book in high school.

Maybe a little encouragement instead of negative criticisms should be in order? Maybe some suggestions on what to make it into?