Chain saw question ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, May 30, 2014.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I went to a garage sale early this morning and found a STIHL , MS , 261 model .
    It sat for two years , full tank of fuel , chain oil , three bars ,(16" , 18" and a 22" .
    Her husband had passed three months ago and she was moving with her daughter in Pittsburg . It was an estate deal , everything for sale , tools , furniture , etc. ! She had a price on the saw of $250 . No haggling , I gave the $250 .

What should I check and change considering it sat two years ? :):confused:

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

all i would do is drain the fuel and check the spark plug and try it out.but thats me others may have better suggestions.

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Drain the gas new gas and pull. You could take the carb apart and clean it, but I'd be willing to bet it will run just fine

4. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Pull the air filter, no telling when it was cleaned last. Spray a little carb cleaner into the carb. With the plug out a little carb cleaner or WD40 in the cylinder may not be a bad idea. Not a whole lot since it is a small engine. Right before starting maybe a quick shot of carb or starting fluid to make it easier to get going.

Make sure the chain is tensioned on the bar. If you can pull the chain all the way out of the channel it is too loose. Keep the chain sharpened.

Above all keep both hands on the saw. Got lucky when I learned the hard way. Granted mine was a small electric but still got lucky.

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

From what I understand , the saw only has very few working hours on it . I talked to one of the neighbors and he claims it can't have more than 20 hours of running time on it and it looks brand new .

Sad story though , she was no doubt heart broken . Her daughter was running the show , I pray for them .

My mother passed in 1988 and my father , this past July . I deeply feel the loss .

Prayers sent !

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

take it to a Stihl dealer and let him go through the entire fuel system. with gas that old being it in for that long, there is no telling how much damage has been done to the carb and fuel lines. the ethanol content in the gas breaks down and will do lots of damage to the fuel systems and can cause engine problems as well. it is money well spent.

MSRP of that model new is about $620. and about $30-35 per bar. and get rid of the 22" bar as that saw is designed for a 20" bar max for the powerhead. trying to run a longer bar and chain will over stress the motor and cause it to wear our prematurely.

7. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Like Axxe said , I would let the dealer tune it and dino it, it shouldn't cost that much

8. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

Change the gas, clean the plug, and pull. And add some bar oil if needed. Maybe after you get it running add a little seafoam to the next tank full of gas.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  9. Axxe55

at the cost he paid and the difference in what they are going for brand new for that model, it would be a very small price to pay.

BTW Dango, that is the Professional Grade Stihl chainsaw. it's not a cheap saw by any means. the Professional Grades are the top of the line in the Stihl line-up. that is the grade the professional loggers use everyday to do their job.

10. Axxe55

sorry, but Stihl doesn't recommend any additives in the fuel systems of their equipment.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I to would take it to a dealer and let them service it . Should be around $50 + depending on if they need parts and that saw is well worth more what you paid and the service .

12. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

Well maybe they do or maybe they don't. But thanks for the info axxe. I've used it in my for almost ten years and it still starts up and runs like a top.

13. Axxe55

that saw he bought is only two years old and the fuel system requirements are much more critical and much different than a chainsaw that is ten years old. fuel that we buy now has up to 10-15% ethanol in it where very little fuel ten years ago did.

i'll betcha didn't know the new Stihl chainsaws can be hooked up to a computer and have their ignition adn fuel systems mapped either. yep, very similiar to what they can do to your vehicle at the dealership.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'd change out the gas, check the B&C oil, and try it out. If it starts and runs PERFECT, done. If not, take it to the Stihl dealer. I agree with AXXE about the 22" bar. I run a smaller than stock bar on mine, more power is better than less.

15. Axxe55

the reason i say take it to a dealer is simple. yes, you can change the fuel out and put in new plug, but the ethanol gas can and will do damage to the fuel system that might not show up until later. waithing until later might be much more expensive like having to have a new piston, carb and other parts replaced. so just because it runs great now, doesn't mean it will tomorrow or next week or next month.

the powerheads on saws are rated for a maximum length bar and chain. running a bar and chain too long for the powerhead puts undue stress on the motor and cuts down on cutting efficiency.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Dango I can ask my Friend( a Stihl sales Manager) what to do for it. I'm looking for an electric one myself, have an electric trimmer and blower/Vac, chainsaw( or smaller electric reciprocating saw) would be the "Hat Trick" for me. I have. 2 Desert willows and a Desert Prune tree on my front and Back yards( front yard is about 25Ft. Deep and 45-50Ft. Wide, with the Prune, 5 asstd. Bushes, and my Round Cacti Garden-Back yard is 40' deep and about 72' wide with a 65' Runway at the side of the house, with a Locked Gate out to the street and a Security wall at the Back. Soon to serve double duty as a Crossbow/Airgun Range, also serves as "Runway" for "Bulldog Athletics"

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Dango, you have a piece of professional equipment. Don't cut corners.
    I certainly wouldn't jump in a car that's been sitting for two years, and take off across country.
    As others have said get a pro to check it out.

18. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a chainsaw like the one you bought. I only use when a tree or limb falls somewhere on my property. I had to use it for the first time in a couple of years last week. Still had the old fuel in it. I checked the chain oil and topped it off. It started after 6 or 7 pulls. Great tool. good luck

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Drain the gas

Put in fresh AVGAS and start it

10:1 it runs fine.

Don't recall if you have any experience with a chainsaw, but it's an extremely dangerous tool that requires more respect than a loaded firearm.

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You do NOT ever put starting fluid in a 2 stroke engine !.........
    Dango, just dump the old mix & add new mix, pull the spark plug out, put the choke on & pull the rope a half dozen times, put the plug back in & go for it !...............