CFE 223 Powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cottontop, Oct 8, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Does anyone know of a store in central Florida that carries the new Hodgden CFE 223 powder that came out in January?
    I can't find it anywhere so far.
    cottontop

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

Don't know if it helps but Wideners is advertising 8lb jugs of this powder if you want a lot through the mail.

3. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Powdervalleyinc.com also has some. http://powdervalleyinc.com/ $18.99 a pound thats a good price. Need to order 8# or more to justify the $25 hazmat fee.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks guys. I may just have to bite the bullet (pun nintended) and order some.
    cottontop

5. Shade

Shade New Member

I bought some back a few months ago still on the bench ready to work up
    loads for 69 and 75 gr match rounds.... Oh I can remember in my youth
    looking for things to do because I had too much free time...

If anyone has shot it yet what are your thoughts on it?

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I found some today at a LGS. I called this same GS two days ago and they acted like I was bothering them. They said they didn't have any. I stopped in today as I was going by there anyway. Guess what? They had it on the shelf. I think I need to post this on the GS idiot thread going on in the rifle section.
    cottontop

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

What is special about this powder??

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

powder

In some cartridges it offers more velocity with less pressure. I want to use it in my 8x57 as it seems to be difficult to get the velocity up with most powders. A mild load for the 8x57 with CFE 223 powder is the 180 grain Nosler with 49 grains of powder at 2635 fps and only around 43,000cup of pressure.It works in a few other cartridges also.
    cottontop

9. msup752

msup752 New Member

Isn't this powder also designed to reduce copper fouling somehow?

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

powder

Yeah, that's the big pitch for it, but I don't care about that. I was just looking for a powder that will boost velocity and lower pressure in my 8x57 and this might be it. I will give it a try. If it reduces copper fouling, then that's just a bonus.
    cottontop

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh i see

im not sure how that is possible from what i understand copper fouling is caused by barrel quality type of rifling and bullet construction.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

CFE .223 Powder. This has an ingredent used in military loads to reduce copper fouling. The princple is to keep firing high numbers of rounds while keeping the firearm accurate. CFE [Copper Fouling Eraser].:)

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

So far as barrel condition? Blackpowder needs some kind of lube when firing patched bullets regardless of patch type cloth or paper. The make up of blackpowder contains no lubricants.

Smokless Powder is made from Petrochemicals. This provides a lube when fired. It makes no difference single base or double base powder. That allows us to shoot copper patched bullets without having to use an added lube. They are adding a copper fouling reducer to this lubricant. If a bore is so out of spec that it fouls no lubricant can help anyway. This is for use in arms of shootable condition.;)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

well that explains it, thanks