Ceramic or Porcelain Barrel

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by okkool77, Feb 19, 2010.

1. okkool77

okkool77 New Member

Hey guys,
    Thought I'd ask a question here since I'm stumped on it.
    A customer came into my shop the other day asking about a "Porcelain Reinforced Barrel" for his 9mm.
    I've heard the rumors about the Govt. testing these for the large caliber weapons on gunships to prevent the barrel from overheating and warping. They also claim that it can give an increase to muzzle velocity by up to 30% over a traditional steel barrel. But do they really exist for small caliber firearms?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know and haven't heard anything about a porcelin barrel of any type.

One non conventional barrel that is being tested, and we had a couple in the shop, was a new AR bull barrel out of a shop in Oregon that is almost 85%-90% carbon fiber and weighs about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a traditional AR GI barrel weighs in a non bull configuration.

Haven't seen anything announced by anyone picking them up or anything like that, but there is technology out there that people are testing, so I suppose it's possible.

If you end up finding anything that is worth a damn, please come back and let us know.

JD

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

5. okkool77

okkool77 New Member

6. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

To my knowledge, these are not available to civilians. They will not be for some time.

7. okkool77

okkool77 New Member

So they do exist for small caliber weapons?
    Can you give us anymore info on these "shadow barrels"?

8. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

They are a work in progress. Progress is slow.