CERAMIC coated Bolt Carrier group

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by samboost, Jan 11, 2013.

1. samboost

samboost New Member

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

$300 for a BCG is over charging, just MHO. YMMV.

3. samboost

samboost New Member

$300 for a ceramic coated bcg isn't overcharging. If it was a parkerized or chrome then yes I would agree with you.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with Gatoragn. What's so special about this BCG other than it's in stock? For $300 you'd think they could make a halfway attempt to equal BCM's specs.

5. samboost

samboost New Member

To each their own. Why would someone buy a ferrari when you can buy a camry that will take you from point A to point B? It's just preference. With people charging you 350-450 for a chrome bolt carrier group on gunbroker.com, I wanted to share with the forum that you can purchase a CERAMIC bolt carrier group for 300 dollars. Nickel Boron is also a ceramic coating and companies have their own proprietary blend like anderson manufacturing RF85. This thread was posted to inform members of this forum who wants a Ceramic bolt carrier group that it was available and in stock. Have you ever used a ceramic bolt carrier group?

I clean my ARs after a day out shooting and I usually put a dab of oil so my rifle bags and carpet in my safe don't have oil all over them, I oil my ARs when I get to the range, but because of that I have purchased ceramic bolt carriers because if someone is trying to kick down my door, I'm not going to say hold on, let me oil my gun so it can run properly. I have cycled my ARs with very little oil and it ran flawlessly. I can't say the same for my other BCG. I think the extra money is well spent, but that's only my 2 cents.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No, it's not something I would buy. Nor would most users, though right now any BCG for sale is tempting if you need one. Perhaps you can come up with detailed reports that show this one's advantages? We recently tried to group test the Black Rain and Fail Zero BCGs but both samples had problems that ended the testing. Among other issues both had bad firing pins for example. Why such a simple to correct issue escaped QA is baffling.

I think it's great that new materials are tested but in this price range the part that's being coated should be of high quality. Sadly this isn't always the case. Yours may be an exception but why wouldn't full specs be proudly published?

7. mrmonk7663

mrmonk7663 New Member

$300 is way overpriced. Better than a $300 normal phosphate but still overpriced.

8. samboost

samboost New Member

I have heard about some issues too, but maybe this was an early production? I've have nothing but good things to say about ceramic coatings.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Regardless of worth of the part, it was nice of you to post up on its availability for any who might be interested in it for some reason or other.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. unit147

unit147 New Member

I purchased this bolt from AR15.....

Took it to the range last week and every lug was ripped off after 30 rds. It was checked by an armorer for head space, pin protrusion and such prior to shooting. I notified AR15 and they sent a FedEx return for it and offered me another bolt or my $300 back. I will take a refund. One of the most knowledgeable gun guys in the country said that it was most likely a MIM bolt and to stay away from them, anything ceramic coated throws up a red flag for him. Here is what it looked like, no other part of the gun was damaged

Attached Files:

• bolt.jpg
      bolt.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views: