Century CETME for Taurus PT1911 good trade?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bigtank07, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

Good day all. I have a question regarding a recent offer that was made to me. I have a Taurus pt1911 with rail with golf ball grips stainless compensator with a couple of extended mags along with a few other extras and a gentleman has offered to trade me a 6 month old century arms CETME .308 hk91 rifle with tri-rail fore end, vertical grip, a nice picatinny scope rail, and 9 20 round magazines along with 200 rds of ammo. Also he has polished the internals and smoothened up the trigger pull. I've not fired the weapon yet but it's in almost mint condition. Would this be a good trade?

2. opaww

opaww New Member

My Cetme cost abput $600 U.S. with 5 mags, its a good shooter and if your looking for something in a good rifle it might be worth the trade.

3. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I've read some articles on them and they seem hit & miss but it seems that he's corrected everything that could be problematic. I really like the hk91 platform and really have no use for the pistol anymore. Im going to see if I can shoot it soon.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If you have no use for the Taurus 1911 Then you should probably make the trade. I'd recommend shooting the rifle beforehand to ensure it don't have any problems if you can.

5. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

I'm leaning towards it. I'm definitely gonna shoot it beforehand. He claims to be getting 2 inch groups at 200 yds but I'll find out first hand hopefully next week

6. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

He's also gonna throw in a firefield 1-5x32 scope with external laser

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Break the rifle down! Make sure the bolt has not been ground to fit bad workmanship. Shoot it at 100 yards w/ iron sights. That will tell the true story. Believe half of what he says, and all of what you see. The trigger should be VG without any work.

8. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Definitely give the CETME a good once or twice-over, test fire it if possible.

That being said, I would trade a Taurus 1911 away for just about anything.

I hate those damn things,their beavertail safety is F'ing worthless.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As they say! Check out the CETME closely and test fire it if you can. I have one with HK Hardware on it. It is not one of the finer rifles I own but it works well and I like to shoot it. It is a good rifle without reservation. I have a claw mount and EOTech 512 on it. It makes a good combination. Certainly worth your consideration. I it works it would be a good trade in my opinion.

10. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

I'm going to fire it later in the week to make sure. What is considered acceptable headspace? Also are there any tools required to field strip it?

11. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

12. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

The link isn't working for me

13. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

That is the correct link and it is still active, the code must be wrong for some reason. Try copying and psting it. or do a google search for "cetme headspace" it was like the 6th one from the top.

14. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

It"s because http:/ is repeated twice

15. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Derrr........I smart!

16. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

Haha I've gotta start payin attention

17. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

well i went and checked it out today. bolt was good so was headspace its actually a pretty smooth working gun. i gotta say i think im in love. this thing shoots great! i went ahead and made the trade and im hopin to have some more fun with it tomorrow.

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

You will like the Cetme. I have had one for several years and I love shooting it. I was hitting man size targets at the local range at 600yrds with iron sites.

The one thing that you will like is the price of the magazines, I purchased mine for $1.99, that was a couple of years ago but now they are $3.95 at Royal Tiger Imports here is the web site

Magazines

Midway USA has them for $2.99 but there shipping is unreal.

Military Surplus Magazine HK G3, HK91, PTR 91, CETME 308 Winchester 20-Round Aluminum Black - MidwayUSA

I have been shooting German Battle Packs that I get at Cheaper then Dirt for $85

AMM-727 - Ammo 7.62x51mm DAG FMJBT 147 Grain 200 Round Battle Pack NATO Brass Case Berdan Primed Non-corrosive

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your Cetme.

OH yeah, forgot this web site for extra parts.

G3 Parts, HK91 Parts, HK 91 Parts, HK-91 Parts, HK Parts, PTR91 Parts, V51 Parts, Cetme Parts, G3K Parts, HK21 Parts, Original German HK Parts, RTG Gun Parts

19. bigtank07

bigtank07 New Member

i really appreciate all the info. ive been looking for good prices on ammo. thanks alot

20. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

If you do get the Cetme, when you find the ammo you are looking for, buy it! Do not do like I did and wait, becasue if you wait to long it will dry up and you will have a very hard time finding some. I learned the hard way.