Century centurion 39 sportster

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by akm47nagiont, Mar 4, 2014.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

So far this looks like it Will be my next purchase. read quite a few reviews as well as watch quite a few review videos on YouTube. I haven't heard anything negative yet.

Edit I've also looked at reviews for all the pistol versions of that gun to see if any of those have problems as well

Anyways anyone have one pros cons? Pictures are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. DP03

DP03 New Member

I have the pistol version and love it. I have spoken about this gun in a recent post in this forum (low end/high end). It is all American made, CNC machined solid block receiver, Tapco 2 stage trigger, adjustable rear sight and more. I have not had a single failure of any kind, including about 200 rounds right out of the box, and many since.

Century had some issues with canted sights and a couple other things a while back (5 yrs??) that were related to imported parts. This gun is built here with American parts, and Century has fixed their old issues. As you mentioned, multiple reviews have been very positive.

I'm happy to post pics. Give me an hour......

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

3. DP03

DP03 New Member

Here are a few pics.........

Attached Files:

4. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Having trouble deciding between these two. what it will come down to is when I drive up to Prescott to see the quality of each one

http://www.jgsales.com/cai-centurio...blonde-wood-stock,-usa-mfg,-new.-p-67157.html

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-m70ab2-...underfolder-stock,-grenade-sight.-p-1388.html

i'm concerned about The sites not being standard ak and I can't find any folding stocks online for the century 39 anyways both guns around $660 including tax

5. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I do a lot and a lot of research before I buy a gun

aftermarket parts availability

obviously lots of YouTube reviews

go on quite a few different forms and read the reviews

and of course the reviews on the websites that sell them

I also don't like how it doesn't have a cleaning rod or a bayonet lug or cleaning kit in the stock

And seriously they should've put that thing on the side of the AK that allows you to put a scope or red dot on without having wobble of dustcover or gas piston tube

6. DP03

DP03 New Member

Good luck with your search. Let me address a couple of your concerns.

There are 4 pic rails. The top is attached to the gas tube as you mentioned. But there is VERY little play. The other 3 are mounted to the hand guard with no play whatsoever. So you can mount whatever you want, wherever you want.

You may see in the reviews that this gun gets praise for its departure from traditional AR sights. The back is adjustable for windage and elevation, with no need to mess with the front. This, IMO, is an improvement.

Again, good luck and let me know if you have any questions on the C39.

7. Judge

Judge New Member

I bought one several weeks ago. Mine did not come with Tapco magazines. It came with steel magazines. Had numerous FTFs but once I ditched the steel magazines and bought Tapco magazines it has functioned perfectly. It was very accurate right out of the box. I like mine.

8. DP03

DP03 New Member

Mine came with a couple 30 rnd tapco's. In the beginning I found it helpful to buy 10 rnd tapco to sight the gun in, cause the 30's were long and got in the way.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

When you get the gun broken in after couple hundred rounds try the steel mag again and let me know what happens please

Also where did you buy it because I haven't found any place that sells them was steel mags

10. Judge

Judge New Member

I bought mine at a place called Patriot Outdoors in Clovis, New Mexico. Brian Finan was the guy that helped me. I'll let you know how things go.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

There latest ad says 100 per cent American. Is that true - lock stock and barrel? Who makes the receiver?

12. DP03

DP03 New Member

According to Century, and every review and video I've seen, every part, including the milling of the receiver, is made in the USA. Where exactly, I'm not sure.

Here's an excerpt from a review Gun Digest did:

Enter the all American-made AK! That’s right, a rifle where all the parts are made here in the USA. No need to worry about 922(r) compliance, because that only applies to imported rifles.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I like that. It's about time they did it.

I'd like to pass along what I just read (those who read the Shotgun News already know). There is a new Saiga MX107 that has a counter-balanced recoil reduction system. The writer who shot it at Izhmash reports that it works like nothing ever before.

14. TennTrucker

TennTrucker New Member

Yea been considering this one myself.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

15. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I'm a paycheck away from getting this rifle any flood of information on
    this rifle would be helpful

I can't decide between these two finishes on the wood I was thinking of getting the blonde and refinishing it in red

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396351134.820257.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396351143.321101.jpg

Edit. does anybody know how thick the receiver on this rifle is? just a random thought

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Has been regulation 1mm so far.

The wood stock is a touch heavier than plastic. It will give you a margin in recoil management. The rifle, being a 7.62, will also look closer to the original, especially when refinished.

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I like the look of that milled receiver. Seems like a lot of extra weight to carry around if one is going for the pistol configuration though......

'American made' does little for me when talking about a Russian gun.

18. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Here is the consolation. No AK based pistol is a Russian gun. It is a commercial creature of western markets.

19. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I figured they would've done 2 mm but thank you for the answer

20. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Finally got one and I must say I do like it. I did have some issues with the rounds chambering at first but I took it apart and cleaned the gun and it functioned fine. the rear site was off of the gun entirely! when I got it I just centered it and it seems to be holding a zero. lucky I guess? I noticed that it shoots High at 50 yards I don't have a tool to fix that but any good rifle operator should be able to account for that
    The only thing that I noticed that wobbles is the gas piston tube .

I can field strip this AK-47 variant in 43 seconds with putting it together! blindfolded takes me about two minutes. anyways I like the gun I'm very happy I purchased it