Central NJ Training and Range question

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by NS514, Nov 29, 2010.

1. NS514

NS514 New Member

Hello,

I am new to the forums and relatively new to firearms. I currently live in Central NJ and I am looking for a class to take on firearms safety in the area. I'm also looking for a range to go shoot at.

I have a unique situation that I am in a wheelchair so I would appreciate any suggestions on instructors that have experience in working with people who use wheelchairs.

The only range I am aware of is Fort Dix and I'm not sure if it's open to the public or only available to law enforcement.

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry... no info for you on your question:eek:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community. Move. ;)

4. NS514

NS514 New Member

Oh I know NJ is one of the worst states for gun ownership. I just moved back here after living in NC for the past year. I should have gotten a CCW permit there while I had the chance and then perhaps I could have shown a better need for a CCW permit in NJ.

I am seriously considering moving for my career to a more gun ownership friendly state. Unfortunately, I was born in NJ so I have the majority of my family here.

My desire to own a gun now is for protection of my home and family. NJ makes that nearly impossible. I have searched far and wide for dealers, ranges and training classes and have found only a few. They sure don't make it easy to LEGALLY own a gun in NJ.

5. DrJason

DrJason New Member

On the NRA website I know you can search for "places to shoot". Hope that helps.

As for training, the only places I can vouch for that are "near" you would be Smith and Wesson Academy in Springfield, MA or Sig Academy in Epping, NH......neither are particularly close to you but are within driving distance.

And welcome to FTF!

6. NS514

NS514 New Member

Thanks Dr.Jason. I will take your suggestions into consideration. That might actually be the best route to go so I can try out several different weapons to see which one works best for me.

I know much of shooting comes from the legs in steadying yourself and since I don't have that I need to find a firearm that doesn't have too much kick. I don't want to end up on my back every time I fire my weapon. :D

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm in California, and it sucks marginally less than Jersey. My wife and I are moving to Oregon in the Spring.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Check out Gun for Hire, I believe they are up in Central/North Jersey.

http://www.gunforhire.com/home.html

9. NS514

NS514 New Member

Thanks Jpyle, I saw the original post and figured I'd check them out and see if they might be the answer. I never realized it was this hard to get firearms training in NJ if you weren't a cop...

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Simple economics at work...it's so difficult to purchase and own a gun here the market isn't large enough to support a vibrant gun industry. It's been my experience that most shops have few, if any, actual guns in inventory, carry little in the way of parts for repairs and what they do stock are the generic brands that you can get at most Walmarts...in other states of course as I have yet to find a Walmart in NJ that even has a hunting dept.

11. NS514

NS514 New Member

JPyle you are right. It's amazing though as I can go to some cities in NJ and get a gun on the street (illegally which I would never do) but I can't buy one legally in NJ to save my life....which is why I want a gun in the first place!

Being new to considering gun ownership I'm not certain what my next step would be...

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

First step is the Firearms Owners ID (FOID) and a pistol purchase permit. even if you don't plan to purchase a handgun the FOID is required for ammo purchase and some ranges will not rent to you or let you shoot without it.

Hers's a link to the forms and info page...welcome to New Joisey!

The NJ State Police site appears to be down, contact your local PD for the paperwork.

NJ Application FP ID Card