Cell phone in man's chest pocket stops bullet

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sculker, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sculker

sculker New Member

:eek:

COVINGTON, La. – A man says his cell phone saved his life. A stray .45-caliber bullet hit R.J. Richard's chest while he was mowing the lawn — hitting so hard he thought it was a stone kicked out by his tractor. He pulled out the phone. It fell apart.

The 68-year-old man was bruised. He said doctors told him two things prevented worse injury, maybe even death: the phone, and the fact that the bullet came in at an angle rather than head-on.

Reports of pocket Bibles saving their owners' lives pop up every so often. Richard says he's sure that God told him to put the phone in his overalls chest pocket rather than a pants pocket as usual. He said that Saturday's incident increased his faith.

He figured the bullet was fired by a hunter in woods near his 5-acre property.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081121/ap_on_...GKq.9Nd71Ks0NUE

POCKET BIBLE`S ANYONE?

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I don't think so.

3. Chester

Chester New Member

Who hunts with a .45

4. MichaelG

MichaelG New Member

The myth busters did this(Yes, it's intersting) , testing if a bullet can kill you through Ipods, phones, books, pizzas and tiles. Which they can.
    Was it one of those really old cells that are like 5x larger than the current ones?

5. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

.45-70 maybe? Who knows?

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Kind of what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

If it came in, at an angle as suggested, it would have to be an errand round from somewhere.

A quick check of crime stats for the area show that it's been on the decline the past 5 years with 1 muder and 4 reported rapes in 2006. Sounds like a pretty nice place to live actually....

Crime Comparison

Probably going to be a mystery unless someone comes forward like in the Texas .50 Cal deal....

7. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

8. Roastie

Roastie New Member

They tested head on shots into things, this was not head on and was a ricochet shot with probably less then half of the original FPS. (45's are slow anyway.)

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Only 1 MUDER?

10. Roastie

Roastie New Member

I can vouch for 3 of the 4 rapes.. oops! :rolleyes:

Note: THIS IS A JOKE, RAPE IS BAD, STAY IN SCHOOL, DON'T DO DRUGS.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Kevlar cellphone? Why does mine break if I drop it 3 feet onto a pillow, and this guy's phone stops bullets?:confused:

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Stories abound about every day objects stopping, or at least deflecting bullets. I heard of a cop in Houston that had a Cross brand pen stop a .25 ACP. My favorite is the cop who was disarmed and shot by his own .357 mag revolver. Bullet squarely hit the hard trauma plate on his body armor, flattened and sprung back striking the bad guy in the throat. He bled out. Gives new meaning to "Suicide by cop".

Sounds like it could have happened, but was a one in a trillion shot.

13. SoL

SoL New Member

i was the perp and victim of the other one.

i love your cat pic :p

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Maybe, it was just a .45 ACP round. Maybe someone was hunting with it even if it was legal or not. I shot a buck last year and to put it out of it's misery, I shot it with my 1911. A .45 FMJ is cheaper than a Remington Copper Solid. I wasn't about to shoot him with a Copper Solid, those things are about $16 for a box of five.

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I think his Karma stopped the bullet, not his phone.

16. leappy

leappy New Member

I don't think any cellphone can withstand a bullet from medium range.