ccw

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by loveguns, Aug 16, 2013.

1. loveguns

loveguns New Member

I want to buy a handgun but I am looking for a gun for carry ...does anyone know or recommend a gun with good recoil...and protection...

2. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

I would recommend going to your local range and trying several different ones. If purchasing for carry, you really want something comfortable, reliable, and most importantly something your very confident with.

You see..... Im a hypocrite, cause I didnt do that. It took 6 handgun purchases to finally find "The One"! If you have the money, hey, do what I did (lol), your firearm collection gets bigger faster that way!

Good luck in your hunt!

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Define good recoil?????

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Need WAY more info-----
    I suggest the range thing too---------------------

5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

My .357 Mag snubbie has real good recoil, maybe that's what the OP meant?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive taken to collecting ccw pistols as i like a variety to choose from. I get bored carrying the same gun all the time.

I currently carry ruger lcp, colt new agent, bersa thunder, springfield xdm compact, berreta m9a1 inox compact and am considering a trade for a colt lightweight commander 1911. All those are great carry guns.

Go to a gun range with rentals and try a few see what you like to shoot best

7. vincent

vincent New Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you do not have a lot of experience with handguns...? Correct? (not a shot at you at all, just an observation...:cool:)

If I were you, I'd find an NRA sponsored safety course, take notes, absorb all the info you can...

Hit the rental range, see what tickles your fancy, felt recoil is subjective at best...I love the recoil on my .44 mag, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new shooter...

Concealed carry is a HUGE decision and responsibility, read anything you can get your hands on about the subject...(see the sticky "Read This Before You Decide to Carry" in the CC section)...Mas Ayoob has some great insights and info...Jeff Cooper, too many to list...

It's a process, don't expect to jump right in and get it right on the first try. I'm on my 3rd carry gun and have a drawer full of holsters I thought I would like...:eek:...apparently this is normal...;)

If you have questions, be as specific as you can, there are tons of folks here who'd love to help you out...:cool:

Best of luck...

8. blackxpress

blackxpress Member

Yep. Also, you do not have to own a gun to take a CCW course.When I took the course there were a couple of people who had not yet purchased a gun. The instructor taught them the basics and let them shoot his guns when we qualified at the range.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'll go out on a limb here, and say a 1911A1, or M9.

Both are full size, but both point well, and are reliable.

It just depends if you want 45ACP or 9mm.

10. loveguns

loveguns New Member

Thanks for the input...I've never shot a gun before but I need protection...plus I am a musician and I have to do night shows...

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Then your first step is taking a ccw course and a basic pistol instruction course. Then you will have a base of knowledge to interpret the answers we are giving your question. :)

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Jon is right. first thing is to learn about guns. especially if you have no background with them. i highly second his suggestion of taking a class and even also suggest as others, a firearms safety course. finding a good instructor might be in order as well.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

This website will help you find gun classes in your area.
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Check out the videos in this thread as well...
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

Then there are some very good YouTube channels which can give you a lot of great information as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC193r5YXcpQJV34N99ZbhzQ
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSKvxuZ7tA-B32GlsFX3t9g

Above all else, go find a good firearms safety course as mentioned first. And be careful of some of the YouTube yahoos out there. The classes will give you the information you need to determine if the people know what the heck they are talking about.

As to your recoil question... Cailber, weight, and recoil are always at odds with one another. Everything is a trade off. You can have a small caliber, lightweight gun that will punish you with recoil. Or you can have a heavy, large caliber hand cannon that can be very manageable.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  14. loveguns

loveguns New Member

Ok thanks for the information...you guys know what you are talking about..thanks bros

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

All excellent advice. Here's mine, very similar to what's been said. Go to a gun store. Be polite and ask for recommendations from the employees. Be honest about your experience level. Take everything with a grain of salt. Some gun store employees are better than others. Don't buy a gun just because a guy tells you its the best thing out there. He's wrong, simply because what's best for him might be the worst for you. Pick one that feels comfortable in your hand and see if you can rent another model of the same thing. Don't think you need the biggest caliber. That's foolish. There is nothing wrong with big or small calibers. All are effective. Get the caliber you find you are comfortable shooting. 9mm tends to have less felt recoil than a .40 S&W but it depends on the gun and the person. So rent as many as you can and base your decision off what feels right.

If you find a gun you might be interested in some ask us about it and do more research on your own.

Take a basic pistol class. There are others that are great too.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

And lastly, never think a revolver isn't enough gun. Don't think you HAVE to buy a semi-auto.

Good luck.

16. mahall

mahall New Member

I also bought several looking for the perfect gun!! I had to find something that was very easy to carry and incorporate into a daily routine, but was confident to shoot and shoot straight! Micro pocket pistols, I felt underpowered and most were frisky with recoil!! Full size pistols, had me to concerned on what to wear and and how much I would be printing!! I live in the Deep South, so it was important to me incorporate carry into my wear!! Not wear into my carry!! For me the easier it was to slap on every day the more likely it would be for me to routine it into my life!! I also suggest that you have two, for a "no excuse not to carry reason" I keep a little LCP 380 pocket pistol around, it will conceal in next to nothing and very handy to throw in your pocket for short errands and times you just don't want to carry a bigger gun!! The LCP is not the ideal man stopper but its surprisingly accurate from 25 feet in and convenient as Hell! I personally chose the G26 as my prime carry!! Manageable recoil, easy to conceal, very accurate and dependable!! And super easy to clean and maintain!! But no doubt it has to be a personal choice that your comfortable with!! We get caught up in threads talking about "ideal carry guns" the ideal carry gun does not exist, the choice is to personal based on the individual needs! Some dudes carry full size magnums and claim there comfortable, others carry pocket pistols and claim they feel safe!! Not for us to judge! All we can do is pass along our opinion and experience!! Good luck and thanks for supporting the 2nd amendment!!

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you like to shoot, I would advise getting a 22LR pistol first,

like a Ruger MKIII, or 22/45-depending on your preference of

grip angles. You will learn as you go, and develop your own

opinion as to what to carry for protection. And that nice 22

plinker will be a joy forever.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The one rule we can all agree upon. Everyone needs a 22.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Amen!:D

or even two or three!:p

20. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Or six! Think I have 4 rifles and two pistols! And that's after just selling my 15/22. Eeek!