CCW what of them?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Rugers9, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I'm getting ready to take my CCW permits class this weekend what do I have to look foward too?

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I remembered mine being a make-shift classroom in a gun shop taught by a local sheriff. Consisted mostly of forms being filled out, and picture and fingerprints taken.
    Then a familiarity of gun laws, what to do, what not to do, and a series of antidotes of burglaries, muggings, etc. as told by officer. Then it's all over!
    :)

3. earl1412

earl1412 New Member

Depending on if the course is strictly law oriented or a combination of law and practical shooting, I would say you should be well informed by the time you get done. I went through the Madison Area Tech College course, it was from 9am to about 4pm, with 1 hour for lunch, and since I had competed in conventional pistol for over 18 years, I needed the legal aspect of this endeavor. The instructor was extremely knowledgeable, (he also taught tactical training courses for Madison area SWAT teams). I found that around 40 to 50% of the students were female. I attended this course in a small community so I am glad the women were interested in this. Seems like there are more private teachings going on, which I haven't heard anything about, but I have heard the GanderMountain courses are good also. They combine legal with the firing of your own gun at their ranges.
    I would at the least expect you will come away with a better awareness of what to expect if you ever need to use your weapon. I did not know it was legal in WI to conceal stun guns, knives, batons, when you pass the WI DOJ approved training. It is not legal in WI to have a taser or stun gun unless you have a CCW permit, if you're not an LEO.
    I hope you also will look into the USCCA.com for information on liability insurance. It made sense for me to carry it, as I also need liability insurance for my repair business.
    Hope this gives you some clues, as usual YMMV:)
    earl

4. Longrange

Longrange New Member

Mine was a 6 hour course, private instruction on a private range. My instructor covered a lot of information that day. I think I sent 250 rounds down range total for the course and then we covered Florida law for a bout 2 hours.

I can't stress enough to print your states statutes, know them and keep a copy on you. There are many LEO's that do not know the statutes so having a copy could save you a trip down town. In Florida there is a statute allowing open carry when fishing and camping, while fishing 1 day a local LEO had a really bad attitude with me until I requested he let me reach in my back pocket to show him the copy of the statute.

5. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

Just finished my class it was a blast just over 3 hours and much of it was range time. For 30 bucks, no complaints here.