CCW vs CPL

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by crackshot, Oct 7, 2011.

1. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CCW stand for Carrying Concealed Weapon (something you are charged with) vs. CPL (Concealed Pistol License) something you apply for and use as proof of your ability to carry concealed? I keep seeing this and just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Crackshot, it is state law that determines the designation of each concealed carry license or permit. In my state, it is a CCW permit; in others, it is a CPL; I know there is at least one other that I cannot recall at the moment. Suffice it to say that different posters from different states will use different acronyms, but for most intents and purposes they can all be used interchangeably here on the boards. :)

3. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! :)

4. bryceatou

bryceatou New Member

The other is CWP Concealed Weapons Permit.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Texas calls it a CHL. Concealed Handgun License.

6. wharvey

wharvey New Member

You might also see LCH, which is License to Carry Handgun. What Indiana calls it. To the original poster, CCW does stand for concealed carry weapon -- CCW permit or license.

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Like here in MI,it's called CPL for concealed pistol license,so that's ALL you can carry,anything defined as a pistol,you can't conceal a rifle or shotgun here as where I believe some places that have CCW's,in those places you can carry about anything-correct me if i'm wrong.

8. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

In Iowa, it would be a PCW, Permit to Carry Weapons, which includes a lot of stuff.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Virginia CHL. Since each state writes their own laws, they call it what they want to.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I know that LS/MFT stands for 'Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco'. . . . . ;)

11. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

If I understand it correctly, MI carry permit is CPL. CCW refers to the criminal act of carrying concealed weapon without a license.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I'm not sure if that's entirely true,I have even heard law enforcement refer to a CPL as a CCW,a CCW is kind of a generic term refering to a CPL,a CHL,CWP etc etc.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

They are just abbreviations, CCW=conceal carry weapon...CCP=conceal carry permit...CCL=conceal carry license.. We should all know what each other is talking about.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

check over at the mi gun owners forum, I believe the CCW is the criminal side of illegal conceal carry, because the license to carry is the CPL. Different states have different abbreviations.

15. machengative

machengative New Member

It is called CHP here ( concealed handgun permit). Kinda confusing when the state cops also are called CHP ( Colorado highway patrol)

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Whatever it's called, it's an oxymoron, a contradiction in terms, like "congressional intelligence" committee. Since the Constitution already recognizes the God-given right to bear arms, a "permit" or "license" to exercise those rights doesn't make sense. If someone commits a crime and therefore relenquishes that right there is ample documentation in police files to that effect. The average law-abiding citizen should not have to beg for permission to do what is already understood. The permit does, however save a lot of time and trouble when a police officer stops someone who is carrying. Maybe that's what it is really about. ???

17. ProShooter

ProShooter New Member

The term CCW originally stood for carrying a concealed weapon, a crime. Its like B&E, DUI, DWI, etc.

Its now become analogous to CHP, CCL, LTCF, etc, meaning the permit that gives you permission to carry the gun.

18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

In Florida it is called CWFL (Concealed Weapon Or Firearm License).

19. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Here is called LPA (Licencia Portacion de Armas)

20. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was always told it stood for carried concealed weapon