CCW, Sitting and what comfort level?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wittmeba, Dec 30, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Those of you that carry everyday, do you CCW IWB or OWB (with shirt/coat tail cover)?

Do you do a lot of sitting? Standing is no problem.

Are you comfortable while sitting or is your weapon/holster pressing into your body?

I'm just curious as I sit here at the PC and think of having my M&P 40 at 2:00 or so either IWB or OWB. I couldn't wear one in the middle of my back - just not a possible consideration.

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

OWB about 2:30
    IWB about 4:30-5:00

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

That's a good thing. I'm not very fond of carry in the small of the back. I would never do it. I carry at 4 o'clock and it's noticeable when I sit down but my gun is small enough that it doesn't bother me.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I carry IWB at 5 o'clock. Sitting is fine, but you have to choose your CCW to fit your body and lifestyle. A MP 40 would be too large for me to conceal and not worry about exposing it.

5. Jpohl

Jpohl New Member

I carry pretty comfortably at 430 even stretch to 5/530. That's with my small kel Tec pf9. Haven't ccw iwb my m&p9 yet so that may change. During the winter months I usually carry cross draw in my jacket pocket. Bulkier coat makes it less noticeable. Just my $0.02.

6. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I strongly considered a SP101 for a CCW but after comparing specs it is a little thicker than my M&P 40. I really don't want another auto but the Shield is quite a bit thinner than both.

Since retirement I do a lot of sitting mainly at the PC.

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

All carry guns are owb and a clip on mag holder. Reasonably comfortable when sitting since carry is at about 3:00 or 3:15. Holsters are high ride models by Ryan Grizzle covered by tee shirts or sweatshirts etc. Guns are XDS 45, Kahr PM9, Springfield EMP 9mm, and Springfield Loaded MicroCompact 45. I did not wish to have to change pant sizes to accomodate various guns in iwb. Just my personal preference but all guns are easily accessible. Happy New Year to all.

8. 304inc

304inc New Member

Iwb @ 1 o'clock, appendix carry my hk usp 40, only time it bothers me is when I sit for more than a couple of hours, when my fat belly is pushing against the hammer....

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I carry owb just behind my left hip. I am left handed. It does not bother me unless I am sitting against a hard back chair. I mean like you would find at a kitchen table. I can sit on the couch or in my recliner and forget it is there.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

M&P Shield 40 IWB at 3:00 if I plan on standing a lot. I can barely tell it's on me. I find sitting to be uncomfortable in this position and usually slide my holster to a more comfortable location, wherever that may be at the time. I'm still trying to find a happy medium.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I can easily conceal a 1911 in any position at the waistband. While I do carry my side arm in the waistband I don't use a conventional holster. I use a belly band holster. If a 5'3" 100 lb woman can conceal a full size pistol in pretty skimpy clothing with a belly band I have no problems concealing a duty size pistol in the same fashion. Not to mention the females main mode of transportation is a 1100 cc sport bike. I ride around in a variety of trucks. My biggest issue is clearing the seat belt.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I don't have much meat on my bones, but 3:00 OWB works all the time.
    EDITED TO ADD: how about 3:00 to 4:00 (my how time flies)

Some jeans just don't work well because of the belt loop location. I buy jeans that work for me.

If I am forced to wear something different, then things feel a bit odd.

I paint, mow, dig, shop, drive, eat, watch tv and snooze with my OWB, so it has to be comfortable.

There is another thread on where we keep then when taking a dump.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. AR10

AR10 New Member

I sit a lot. Way too much. I calf carry a Glock 23C It is always close to my hand, because I sit so much.

14. Jpohl

Jpohl New Member

Often wondered about others ccw in a public restroom with more than one stall. Where is that thread located? Spent some time looking.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

Hard to beat a good shoulder rig for ease of sitting, ESPECIALLY when on a toilet.
    Embarrassing to forget your gun in the crapper...

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

17. Jpohl

Jpohl New Member

18. Colby

Colby New Member

My usual carry has come down to an LCP in a back pocket holster. Works well for nearly everything. Sitting - I don't notice it. It came down to that gun and set-up from several revolvers - 38 J frame, up to 357 Colt 4 inch., and LC9 9 mm. The little 380 always seem to win in the comfort, conceal, carry choice. So, out the door I go with it. I also carry a 38 revolver in the car, additionally - depending how I feel about where and when I am traveling.

19. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

20. 304inc

304inc New Member

Wonder if big sexy is comfortable sitting while concealing?

Edit: though funny, had nothing to do with the thread.
    Can't seem to take it down, sorry fellas. Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014