CCW security guards

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by dragunovsks, May 13, 2013.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was looking on craglist for a weekend or part time job when in the security section i come across an ad asking for people with valid IN or KY handgun permits to serve as armed security personnel in a retail setting. My question is whats the legality of using CCW or handgun permit holders as security guards? I know that some states and cities require armed guards to undergo training but Im unsure if this is the case in my local area. If its legal I may take the job on a part time basis since it pays $18/hr.

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I dunno man, if your state is open friendly who cares, you're officially legal. If it's only good for ccp holders then you're good there too. No difference between at work or not. Logically speaking that is. Law is always incompetent and unjust, you have to do research there... or better yet, have the company do it for you. Seems like if major retailer they'd already know. No?

Last edited: May 14, 2013

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Every state I've lived in required security guards, armed and unarmed, to undergo training and become certified, and I THINK that's really a nationwide deal, and I THINK the reason why is because the big name security providers (wackenhut, securitas) has a stranglehold on the industry and can pretty much write their own rules.

Some of those states required armed guards to be permit holders. Why the hell, I don't know. That was NC law in 07.

At 18 an hour... That sounds freaking nuts to me. Where the hell do you live that they're willing to pay that much for armed retail security? (I can't see locations on my phone).

Starting pay at the nuke power plant near Raleigh is only 14 an hour the least I checked in 2011, only 2 years ago, and they're issued (I believe) select fire M4's and MP5's. And it's a nuclear power plant.

At that much money, and carrying a gun, I can't imagine you WOULDN'T get certifications.

It bears looking into. But beware, if there's no certifications, then you're really nothing but an armed civilian, and the same laws apply to you as they do everyone else.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Florida has specific conditions (in their statutes) when a security guard can be armed.
    And with what they are allowed to carry.

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

This is not something you want to take advice over the internet for. If you don't know your local laws about this job it would pay to learn them. I do know that here in Florida it makes no difference whether you have a concealed permit or not. You go by the statutes covering guards. If you are certified as an unarmed guard your carry permit is worthless while on duty.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Laws will be state specific. Being licensed as an armed security guard does not (most cases) grant ability to carry concealed- so you need the license. Working in a blazer and slacks (bank guard) would require CCW.

Pay varies a LOT, Trip. 10 yrs ago, Wackenhut had the contract at the Rocky Flats Nuke Weapons plant- average officer there in Coloroado was make $49K a year- but most is not that good.

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That's right. They can carry a .357 revolver but are only permitted to chamber .38.

As to the OP, ditto on being very careful to check your state statutes regarding armed security guard licensing.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Armed security in a retail setting in itself is pretty rare unless it's big pawn shops, jewelry stores, check cashing/paycheck advance outlets in bad neighborhoods. But armed mall cops is a pretty scary thought.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I did a very quick check on the internet, and got an indication that Kentucky may not require any additional certification; however, if so, this would be unusual, as most states require additional training. I would suggest you look up the specific statutes for your state, or contanct the licensing authority for security guards. As stated above, this is not something that I would depend on unofficial internet advice on.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Unfortunately, times are changing. In fact, we have a couple malls that could benefit from it. I just hope the training is appropriate for the job they are hired to do.

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ill have to check into it. Its in Jeffersonville In, its says retaio setting but there are no malls in that area or any high end clothing or jewelry stores either. Maybe a pawn shop but i cant see a pawn shop paying that kind of money to anyone on thier payroll.

As far as the pay goes, ive never heard of a security gig in this area paying more than $10/hr, which isnt worth my time, so Im a little skeptical.

I do have a valid lifetime Indiana gun permit, which allows open or cc so Ive got that basis covered.

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

when I lived in Indiana, a few years ago, a Private Detective License plus a License to Carry a Handgun was required for a security guard job. An internet search on Indiana gun laws would help, as would a visit to an Indiana State Police post.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

OK, good. I'm glad you found something.

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Where is gecko45 when you need him?

16. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Armed mall guards scary ? What is scary is malls where no one is armed except some " active shooter " with a rifle and an attitude . I have nothing but contempt for the view some of you seem to hold - that guards should be sent into dangerous places under orders to work unarmed . Events like the Father's Day Massacre back me up on this .
    If armed mall guards scare you, try this incident on for size : A federal law enforcement officer pulled a gun on a federal building unarmed guard simply because the guard entered a secure area of a building . The guard was responding to a silent alarm that the bumbling law officer had triggered . If lawmen do things like that, why single out mall guards for insults ?
    Yeah, I know, you want "all of the facts on the above case" before you'll concede my point...

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Armed mall guards are no more scary to me than armed NYPD officers. Either one presents a risk to bystanders, but it sure beats the alternative.

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Doc

I have a problem with the above: Just because in the last few yrs. there have been a few "incidents" let's not paint All NYPD as "threats"
    Disclaimer: 2 Uncles, 3 Cousins 1 FIL and one BIL all in NYPD, as well as several close friends. 99 percent are extremely Well trained if not Experts in what they do. I was almost one myself until I decided on a Green uniform in stead of blue
    (Oh, dad wasn't NYPD he was federal.....)

DrFootball
    (USARMY Ret./Med.)
    NSDQ

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm sorry you take exception to my comments, but you have to admit NYPD has a crappy public image. NYPD has roughly 35,000 sworn officers. Of those 35,000 officers a small number of them have made the entire department look like they are trigger happy cops.

Let's look at some numbers. Leroy Webster? Seventy three rounds. They hit him twice and might have killed a bystander. Amadou Diallo? 41 rounds. Sean Bell? Fifty rounds. Brian Allen? 43 rounds.

Working on the assumption that all these officers received the same training, and with round counts like that, I still think I'll go with an armed mall cop.

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I wont lump them altogether as one but according to their own rules, NYPD's can re-qualify yearly by getting a very minimal amount of range time that is way less than seems appropriate. Thats where I will transition back to the OP. Can you be a CCW Security Guard where you are without training and Should you are two different questions. I wouldn't want the responsibility without the training and I dont call 17 years in the Infantry a qualifier for myself, I would want to go through and certify with a reputable trainer before I took that responsibility on for myself.

Lets face it, your walking a peaceful beat 99% of the time trying to prepare for the 1% SHTF scenario that you will be remembered for for life or death. $18.00 per hour is pretty good pay for the job, I bet if you had the training to offer your future employer you would be highly desirable instead of just qualified by law.