CCW Scenarios "what to do"

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MoreAltitude, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Thought I would start a thread on the use of "lethal force" scenarios that maybe you may have thought up. I think about them often, like what I would do given this or that, how I would try to resolve it. In complicated situations like these there might not be any right or wrong answers, that's the whole point. Maybe if we discuss some tough ones, we can all gain more knowledge and more clearly understand the huge responsibility we have chosen to take on.

Two examples of mine:

1.) someone has started a fight with you (you can't retreat), you aren't afraid for your life yet and your handling your own, during the tussle your sidearm becomes visible and he sees it, and now the attacker is coming at you again.

or

2.) your in a restaurant, multiple attackers enter with weapons in a robbery attempt, it's 3 against 1, lets say your backgrounds are clear, do you attempt to resolve the situation with uneven odds, or do you risk the chance that they might not shoot you and others?

Once again, maybe you have thought up your own scenarios..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

1 I would do my best to knock his lights out. I am not concerned about someone grabbing my gun. I use holsters with a good retention system. Him going for my gun would be enough of a distraction for me to get the upper hand.

2 I would try to escape or hide. The odds are not in my favor. I would much rather make a good run than a bad stand.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think about what to have for supper, do i enuff cold beer for the weekend, will it be warm enuff to take the boat out today, is it time to have the oil changed in the wifes truck?
    Last thing on my mind is will i have to shoot somebody today :(

4. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Ok, you don't ever think of what-if's, check.

5. Colby

Colby New Member

You're messing up his thread's intent.... but I go along with your thinking.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, all due respect the subject in general has been beat to death.

7. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Always something to learn and ponder given well thought out responses. Scenario based thinking has merits proven time and time again in a multitude of different fields.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I try my best not to do such fantasizing because I don't want to have any preconceived notions about something or someone. I want to take every situation for what it is individually.

Personally, I won't be pulling my gun in 9.9 of 10 situations. I don't care about living so I can't fear for my life. I Can and very well might fear for a painful death, but not death itself. That said, I cant and won't make that call for others, nor do I demand or wish to see a gruesome end for any. So if something were to present itself where I could use my firearm to save another's life, I'd gladly do it, however the specifics would have to be just right.

No other potential victims or bystanders and I would have to be able to place myself between the would be victim and the attacker to ensure that only the BG and I would be the only in imminent danger. Then you have to take into account that I live in a state that had no ghetto, no projects, I don't go downtown and I'm just one of those harmless looking cool guys everyone loves. I've got the gift of gab and people just like me, so I'll probably never have to do it, but I guess I'm prepared nonetheless, kinda. Lol

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Life itself is like a game of chess and all one can hope for is a not-too-quick check-mate.
    If you know (or have an idea of) your opponent's moves, then you can avoid check.

"What ifs" are played all the time. And most of my "what ifs" are about how not to get in the situation where a firearm is needed.

The firearm I carry is for unseen emergencies. Just like the First-Aid kit and fire extinguisher in the house and vehicle.

And I train with the First-Aid kit, the fire extinguisher, and firearm to handle the situation the best I can.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is really pretty simple.

Only draw your firearm if there is no other way of protecting your, or someone elses, life.

If you can run from danger, run. If you can drive from danger, drive. If you have time to call 911, dial. If you can protect your life with your fists, fight, don't draw. Any other useage is questionable in the courts. (as George Zimmerman has discovered; even in a state with one of the most firearm friendly laws)

If you draw your gun in a dispute you may be forced to prove that your actions were "reasonable", a test that may be decided by a jury, and juries can do strange things. Even if a jury decides that you were "reasonable", it will have cost you a fortune to defend yourself.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I avoid fist fights. So I am not going there. However the robbery is a different story. If I am already there, and it is happening, I will intervene. I have considered the idea that they may not hurt anyone. But should you wait until there is already a dead person that you could have saved? I feel that once a firearm has been brandished in a crime I should assume that it will be used. As far as 3 to 1 odds...If I have the element of suprise, I could take down three of them before they even realized I had a gun. That is what we train for, isn't it?