ccw reccomendation

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by waxman895, Mar 20, 2010.

1. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

hey im working towards my ccw and while im only 20 years im getting the tests done now so they day i turn 21 ill be able to apply for it immediately, but my question to you all is what is your reccomendation for which pistol to carry? the only pistol that i have right now is my colt .45 which while is quite nice is well..... a little bit hard to conceal and ill admit my slight hesitation with having to carry a single action pistol around with a cocked hammer for as i was instructed in my class when carrying, you carry ready to go. So let me know what you all think, compacts, revolvers, calibers, full sized, semi autos, glocks, smith and wesson, ruger, colt?

2. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I carry a Ruger P95...but I also open carry...here in Va its legal.

3. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Sig 239 (single stack)
    sig 229 (double stack)
    Choose your caliber. Both are great for ccw. Sig is known world wide for their quality.
    They can be pricey. Don't be afraid to buy these guns used.

4. russ

russ New Member

I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P40c. Plenty of stopping power and conceals pretty well.

There are lots of options based on your budget and firearm preferences.

5. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

hell strap a short barrel, pump action 12 gauge to your back and carry on.... wait you may get looks.....:confused:

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How are you, "getting the tests done" ?? You do it all in a few hours here.

What kind of Colt .45? A 1911?

I carry a Kimber Pra Carry 2 cocked and locked. Draw and slip the safety doen with one hand very quickly.

Too many to suggest. You need to be specific on what you want and what price range.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

You say you have a Colt .45. I'm going to assume it's a 1911 and tell you that a full size Colt Series 80 was my first carry gun. These are very concealble and hide better than just about any other full size auto. They are single stack and have one of the thinest profiles of any gun on the market. A 5" 1911 can be a bit on the long side but this is easily handled with a good leather ITP "In the Pants" holster. Pick up a dual mag pouch for your weak side and your good to go. My Colt is now a SAFE QUEEN but only because I was able to afford a 4" Kimber which does carry a bit easier than that 5" Colt.

I own a Sig 226 and an XD .45, love to shoot both of them but for good CCW in a FULL Size, FULL Power gun, you can't beat a 1911...:)

8. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

i took the test and now i have just have to do 3-5 hours range time to be approved to get my certificate then i can go apple for the ccw because we are required to take an 8-10 hr class for it. and yea sorry forgot to say its and orginial 1911 clone, single stack 8 rounds of .45 stopping power

9. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

Try to handle and fire as many different guns as you can before making your decision. What works for someone else may not work for you.

If you want to stick with a 1911 format, you can find smaller guns from a lot of companies.

If you want something different, the market is wide open.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I understand your concern about carrying cocked and locked. I was afraid of it for a while. I used to carry a bunch of different guns. All were double action. At the advice of another shooter I carried my 1911 unloaded around my house for several hours for several days. My fear was that I would find the safety accidentally deactivated. That never happened. The 1911 is a very safe gun. They are designed so that the grip safety must be depressed, the thumb safety in the off position and pressure on the trigger to go off. Even after a hundred years of inovations in firearms, it is difficult to find a pistol with a higher level of safety. I don't count stupid stuff like safeties that stop the gun from shooting when the mag is released.

11. jabbo

jabbo New Member

Hello, all I'm new here and i carry c9 hipoint if that helps on a vote.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

The fears expressed are of personal self control, not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! OR, don't take the CCW permit and DO NOT carry!

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

You should familiarize yourself with as many candidates as you can, and consider what you wear, and what you do on a given day. I'm a landscaper so I'm up and down out of trucks, on all 4's, up in trees, etc... so a hip holster and a large firearm won't do. If I wore a suit every day and didn't have to worry about exposure, my options would be much broader. I carry IWB at 12:30 with a 4" XD 9 in a Blackhawk soft holster, and do so in shorts and a shirt long enough to cover it. It doesn't make for the quickest presentation because the gun isn't on line with the target as it would be on my hip. I have to rotate it on 2 axes as opposed to 1, but practice gets it there fast enough.
    Think about the firearm, but think about where and how you will CC it, and how it will affect your ability to move without revealing it.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

1911 Holster

Whether you go ITP, Belt Slide, of full outer holster, 3 important things to remeber with the 1911...
    1. Be sure the back of your holster is high enough to keep leather between your body and the thumb safety...
    I've never "found" my thumb safety deactived but believe it "could happen" especially if your old enough to have love handles and allow them to rub the side of the gun.
    2. Be sure the holster completely covers the trigger.
    3. Don't be in such a hurry that your deactivating the thumb safety before you've cleared leather, there's plenty of time to "flick" it off once your out of the holster and raising the gun to engage your target.

Good luck and be safe...

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's a pretty long list, and it just boils down to your budget and personal preferences.

If you're able to spend $700-1000, a 4" 1911 is tough to beat. This is probably a good place to start since you're already familiar with the platform.

The $400-700 range pretty well includes all polymer options, some nice, light revolvers, or something along the lines of CZ's P-01. You can also find some used (but like-new) Sigs in this range.

Under $400? I know a number of people like Kel-Tecs for carry guns. There's also the .38 Ruger LCR and .380 LCP, at about $300 each.

If price is no option, Rohrbaugh makes some pretty cool 9mm compacts...but at that point you could just add a few bucks and buy a Nighthawk T3.

17. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

thanks tackleberry and sweeper ill keep both of those lil tidbits in mind and thanks rick to you to if i end up using my 1911 ill take your advice. Which ill probably end up using my 1911 because money is a little tight right now hopefully though by Oct when i do turn 21 ill have another job so ill have the $ for a nice double action .45 compact or maybe a .40