ccw question

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by jimogden1984, Apr 16, 2013.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I just heard from a cop that if I have my ccw on me and I get pulled over with a felon in the car the felon does NOT get in trouble as long as I'm carrying legally. How true is this? I've always heard its pretty much automatic 5 years in jail. I'm in missouri, do have a couple felon friends and one is still on parole.

2. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

It's your friends' lives in jeopardy, I wouldn't trust any opinions you find on a web site. And given many LEO's lack of knowledge in terms of gun laws, I think you're right not to trust one cop's opinion.

Try contacting the Attorney General for the state. There may also be federal law in play.

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If you have your firearm on your person the convicted felon is supposedly in the clear. If the firearm is in the vehicle and anywhere the felon could have access, the felon is probably going to be playing rock hockey for a few years. Keeping the firearm in a locked box is not good enough if the felon could have access to the key or the combination.

Okay. That's the interpretation of the law I have been given by many LEO's. That does not mean you will (a) encounter a LEO that knows that law, or (b) not have something in your local laws that enhances the federal law. Always know your local laws. It is much better than getting internet info that may not apply to your local area.

4. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

You need new friends.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jim- Big Hairy Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer, and do not know the laws in YOUR state.

Having said that- in general, a felon may not have possession of a firearm. That includes a firearm that is not under the direct, immediate control of another. It does not include a firearm worn by someone else, or secured in such a manner that the felon does not have access to it.

I have an older stepbrother that in his youth had VERY bad judgement, and got a felony conviction out of it. I was a law enforcement officer. Gun in my holster- not problem. Gun left lying in the open in my house while he is visiting- problem. Gun in safe, keys in my pocket, not a problem.

6. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Thank you for the words of wisdom everyone, I'm gonna check Missouri laws to be sure

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

People change, grow up...just because someone at one time made a bad decision doesn't mean they're a bad people. I have a female friend for example who got busted selling meth, she has since cleaned up and is a few months from getting her bachelors degree to be a drug counslor. I myself should be a felon as I've had 4 dui's but woke on on nov 28, 2008 and realized I was living a life I didn't wanna live, quit cold turkey and haven't had a sip since. I also know people who are always in and out of jail and don't care enough to make an effort to change but I don't see those people anymore. Point is, you can't always judge people on the past

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You bring up a very good point. I have a friend that managed a business owned by another person. The business was part of a national chain. Without my friends knowledge the franchise owner was cooking the books. When the franchise and the state got through with them they were both convicted felons. A criminal record does not always mean you are now a criminal, nor does it make you a criminal at heart.