CCW - pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by pabs311, Oct 15, 2010.

1. pabs311

pabs311 New Member

I'm brand new to this sight. I tried searching for some info on this but couldn't find anything, sorry if there are some threads already.

But anyway. I'm looking for a nice compact concealed carry semi-auto. I've done some research on a few and have narrowed it down. I'm mainly looking a .380 as I'm a smaller framed guy and am looking for something I can carry 365 regardless of clothing. My main interests are the ruger lcp, Taurus tcp 738 and north American arms guardian. I'm looking for something the conceals easy in a pocket, is reliable and will shoot comfortably without chewing my hand up. I have also considered wheel guns, but am leaning more towards the semis for concelabity.

Has anyone had the pleasure to shoot all three or at least 2 of three to compare.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The LCP is very popular with many folks and is the right size & weight to be a good pocket gun (ditto for the Kel-Tec P3AT). I will never own a Taurus again so I can't help you there - just not a brand I'd stake my life on. The NAA is a nice gun and a good shooter but it is also quite heavy. My "little gun" of choice is a Sig P238...

[​IMG]

3. pabs311

pabs311 New Member

I've looked into the sig. Nice guns, my father carries a sig .40 ( not sure of the model) so when I'm looking for something a bit bigger I'll most likely get one. I especially love that equinox finish. However, I'm looking for something DAO though. I've read some things about kel-tek that have kind of turned me off of that gun.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I just got a ruger .380 lcp. And iI like it alot, But I also still like my .38 s/w snubnose revolver. Both are nice to switch off with each other,from time to time.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

LCP is my main carry. Ruger is hitting the 500,000 mark in units sold so it's clearly proven, reliable, comfortable and popular. Once you get used to the slim 10 oz... it's hard to go back to anything bigger/heavier. If you're a little hesitant due to capacity, I suggest getting the 10-rd. mag available from ProMag... I nearly always carry mine loaded with it now in an inside-the pants holster. Though obviously causing a longer "handle", the mag is so thin it's still easily concealable and comfortable riding atop my beltline, covered with an untucked shirt. Sometimes I just slip it in my front pants/shorts pocket (upside-down... muzzle facing back) and that works fine too. I feel confident packing 11 rds. of .380. Yeah, it's a little snappy shooting a 10 oz. gun, but the added handle provided by the 10-rd. mag helps on that score too. Like the LCP a lot(!) for what it's designed for: Concealed Carry. It's much better quality than those other two you mentioned IMHO.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The NAA Guardian is an extremely well made, high quality gun. The only drawback is it's a bit heavy. Here was mine...

[​IMG]

7. pabs311

pabs311 New Member

i don't mind a slightly heavier gun. i'd like to shoot all 3 but may only have the chance to fire the ruger and taurus. i think the weight of the NAA might help with comfortability on the range.

for those who don't like the taurus, what is the reasoning behind it? i know they aren't an american company, is there some resentment in that, or is there problems associated with the gun itself?

8. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

If one hangs out on gun forums for very long it kinda becomes clear that Taurus isn't exactly famous for high quality/materials/reliability in general. (But, of course, some people will always speak up and praise theirs... so I expect a rebuttal or two before the day's out.)

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spend about 10 minutes on Google looking up Taurii and you'll see why many of us won't mess with them. The QC is terrible and they ship a lot of lemons. If you get a good one, they're OK guns - but are you willing to take that risk???

10. pabs311

pabs311 New Member

i have done some reaserch (not much on forums, this is my first venture) most of what i've read has praised all options i'm interested in. the only problem with some literature and periodicals is the fact that the manufacturers often are the ones paying that particular magazine or websites bills through advertisements, so that would deter someone from giving a bad review. that's why i'm here looking for more info.

this is good cause the taurus was actually my top choice, looks as though i may be changing my mind. i though that they moved some of their manufacturing to Florida and have since had some better qualty output?

seem like th ruger has a good following anyone else care to comment on the reliability of the NAA? i've heard it's the closest u can come to seecamp without waiting a couple years and paying a hefty price.

11. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I know a local fella that has Rohrbaughs, Seecamps, and NAAs, and he compares the NAA very favorably with the Seecamp - a tad less "polished & refined". I didn't shoot mine that much but it was 100% reliable and very well made. The main reason I sold it was the Sig P238 that replaced it...

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

A little bit more pricey is the Kahr p380. I just purchased one and broke it in. Flawless even during breakin. I sort of expected that since it is my third Kahr. The PM9 also fits most pockets but is a tad heavier. I carry it most of the time in my pocket but purchased the p380 to use in dress slacks and shorts. Kahrs are great guns but expensive. They seem to get better than average reviews. Good luck in your search.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

To quote myself from a different thread, "I used to like carrying my NAA
    Guardian .380 in my right hip pocket. Now I REALLY like my Kel-Tec PF9 in my right hip pocket". If you want a deal on a NAA .380 pm me.

15. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I'm a Kahr fan too... Like my CW45 a lot and read lots of good testimony on the smaller calibers...PM9 especially... and P380 too. I have to confess that I dissed the NAA Guardian for no logical reason... kinda got it mixed up in my mind with another brand... (I'll blame it on old age). So I'm glad you spoke up to praise it, NGIB... I like to try and learn somethin' new every day.

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Try the Micro Desert Eagle.
    [​IMG]

17. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The Diamondback DB380 has been getting a lot of good press. Fondled one at a recent gun show, and it was more comfortable for my freakish, alien-like hands than the Ruger. It disassembles like a Glock, but the guy in charge of designing the grip didn't come into work drunk every day.

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I heart my Kahr PM9.

[​IMG]

The quality is so visible and palpable every time I'm at the range, I'd have no problems buying a Kahr P380 without firing it.

However, the P380 is not enough smaller than the PM9 for me to ever give up the 9mm round. Why are you set on the .380? 9mm has much better capabilities, is much less expensive, and has a whole lot more options for ammo.

19. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I would totally agree on the Kahr PM9, a little bigger than the LCP but it shoot 9mm, totally concealable with multiple options but not really a "pocket" gun.

Love mine, have put a ton of rounds thru her, great to shoot and no "hick-ups"

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the Kel-tec P3AT but mostly carry my PF9. I am waiting to see the new S&W Bodyguard in 380. It has a lot of good preliminary reports. I looked at most of the others and the P3AT was the only one that came up right for me. 50 years ago I was taught when you pick up a gun, look at a spot, close your eyes and bring the gun up. If the gun is not pointed at the spot when you open your eyes, dont buy it. I will not buy a gun that does not point naturally. The sights on the small 380's mostly stink and it is a point and shoot. If it does not point dont mess with it. In a close encounter, he who shoots first accurately wins. I put 30 rnds through mine Friday at 5 yards in low light and they were all in the kill zone. I was the only one on an indoor range so I could control the lighting.
    Note: The 380 can be very ammo sensitive. Test your carry ammo. XTP's work well in mine. Testing gets expensive but you dont want a jam.