ccw pistol for summer weather

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Tdizon0814, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Whats a good ccw pistol that can easily be concealed in summer weather condition? I live in las vegas where summer time can get up to 115°. Im not too fond of revolvers either. Right now I carry 9mm sigma with an Iwb holster which works great in winter. But im having problems in the summer time....

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Bersa thunder .380

Attached Files:

3. Brue182

Brue182 New Member

I usually carry my Sig P290 and was seriously considering getting the p238 because I like the 1911 platform. If you can wait till Q2 of this year Sig is putting out the P938 which is the same as the 238 just in 9mm. Only problem I foresee is getting one I have a feeling they are going to sell faster then Sig can make them.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Depends on how you dress. I didn't start carrying until I retired, so have no 'dress code' to meet. A loose, untucked shirt is about as cool in hot weather as you can get & can hide just about anything you want, with the proper holster & belt. If you try to go cheap on those two items, it can make it harder to conceal.

I carry OWB & can carry a full size 1911 & I have a full size 17+1 9mm Bersa that I carry.

5. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Smith & Wesson bodyguard .380. If you are willing to spend $500, go for the sig P238 it's very nice.

Attached Files:

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Agreed 100%. I live in Sunny Florida in stinking heat and humidity. I carry a full size 1911 IWB full time. With good leather you can conceal under a colored or print tee shirt with no problem. In the Winter, I think I could conceal a tank if they made a good holster for it.:)

7. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Love my Kahr CM9 for those summer days when I just don't want to wear enough clothes to carry something bigger. Disappears in my front pocket.

Attached Files:

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Why do people think they should downsize their weapon in the summer? Statistically crime rates are higher in the summer months. So just when you might need a weapon the most you want to hamper your ability to defend yourself with a tiny weapon.

A good holster and belt a loose fitting shirt that you can leave unbuttoned and you can conceal a normal sized gun. I like to leave the shirt unbuttoned because it's a lot easier to access your weapon that way and it is cooler.

How did we get conditioned to this small gun mentality? Everything in this country is all about bigger is better, more is better, more power, more, more, more. But then when it comes to defending your life somebody says here is this little gun with a low powered round isn't it great. :confused:

Not trying to piss anyone off but it does seem to fly in the face of logic. Please don't try to argue for the tiny guns with the old "it's better than nothing". That doesn't wash I mean if that was the case let's issue LCP's to the police and when they say WTF we can tell them "Hey it's better than nothing". Better than nothing only works if you don't have a choice in the matter.

Again I'm not flaming anyone. For me it's just a more logical way to look at it.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

10. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I agree and carry my normal handgun during the summer.

For me that can be a 5" 1911, Glock 19, P-35, or 3" GP100. Learn to use good quality gear and dress around the gun and you will be able to carry your winter carry gun in the summer in most cases. Heck I've even carried a 4" N-Frame revolver in the summer wearing cargo shorts. :)

I also carry a BUG.

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rjd3282 and BikerRN, I have to start by saying that I carry a full-size steel frame and a BUG, so I'm in your camp in practice, but having lived in one of the hottest areas of the U.S., I can understand the need of a dressed-down carry gun. Now, I don't think that what MOST people have in Summer weather would qualify to going to a smaller gun. Most problems are solved with quality leather belts, holsters and proper fitting. It also helps to remember the saying, "A carry gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

However, in certain areas, when the weather starts the morning in the 90's and stays over 100 degrees all day long, some people wear a pair of lightweight shorts and Birkenstocks. To even add a belt brings suspicion and a full-size gun will bring the shorts right to the wearer's ankles without one! However, a lightweight revolver or LCP can be slipped into a pocket with a pocket holster and no one is the wiser. The "Desert Uniform" of shorts and sandals is hard to accessorize with a gun, and if someone can step up to khaki shorts, a t-shirt and a loose button-up shirt to cover, a belt becomes a perfectly normal look and can support a full-size carry pistol. It's up to the wearer what he can possibly stand in the heat he has to endure.

In any case, be aware that some people live in areas where Summer is not just a few degrees hotter and can actually kill you. But if your uncomfortable carrying in 85 degrees and a little extra humidity, re-evaluate your carry gear and consider having it properly fitted.

12. vincent

vincent New Member

My summer EDC is a Walther PPS in .40 Gets hotter than Hades here too. I just have a simple Blackhawk neoprene IWB and can carry in gym shorts with no worries.

13. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Thank you guys for the responses. Im not trying to go down size on the caliber of a pistol. A 9mm is the lowest I have (which would be my sigma) but with a regular tee, the butt of my gun sticks out when I bend or stretch for something. And yes, with 100°+ weather here in vegas I can't seem to wear any other cloths on top of a regular tee.

14. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

I was looking at the walther pps pistol for awhile now. I like how the gun feels on my hands. Nice and slim. But the only thing I didn't like is that it only comes with one mag. For being a single stack mag, is should come with atleast two.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

I also agree to this... but with the scorching heat and humidity w get here in sin city, even my blackhawk iwb leather is very uncomfortable to wear.

16. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

I was eyeing a bersa uc pro at a local gun shop. They were selling it for about $400. Is that a good price for it? Haven't heard much about the gun or the company. What's your opinion about it since you own a bersa?

17. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I lived in Vegas when I was stationed at Nellis and I never wore shorts. I have always worn jeans. I lived New Mexico for a while and never wore shorts or gym clothes. The humidity in Ohio during the summer is way worse than Vegas and I survive ok with regular clothes. I've always worn normal clothes no matter the weather and it's never been a problem. I guess I grew up when only little boys wore that kind of clothing. Big boys always dressed in long pants. :D

For me a small gun is a pain in the ass to operate. To each his own I guess.

18. ZackBlack

ZackBlack New Member

Take a look at the " smart carry " holster. You could wear a beater or even go shirtless and have no worries.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I like all may Bersas & the 9mm UC & HC have the rep of being their best. $400 would be a pretty good price if that is OTD. Otherwise, I'd say probably an average price.

20. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

People don't necessarily think they NEED to downside their gun in the summer. I didn't say I switch to the smaller gun at all times, in all situations. I usually carry my normal gun. But when it's 100+ degrees outside and I'm mowing the lawn in shorts and a t-shirt, carrying my normal piece becomes a little impractical. I feel confident that my Kahr CM9 will allow me to handle anything likely to come my way on a Saturday afternoon in my front yard