ccw or in the open

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Ktarr1015, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Ktarr1015

Ktarr1015 New Member

Im just trying to find out some info. I have a ccw and i carry in the open as well as concealed, depending on what i feel like that day. A ccw permit is good for either in the open or concealed in the state of ga correct?

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If I am in the woods OC . The rest for me is CC. Don't care to draw the attention or cause the anti's to get all a flustered or some newbe leo a chance to do something stupid. Plus I am simply very use to CC'n with 27 years of doing it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

3. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Looks like here in TN we still have to have a carry license for Open Carry as well as Concealed Carry. A few months ago some guy on a sport bike went by me on rte 65 and he had a semi auto on his belt. I would prefer to not draw attention to myself either...

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Heres a crazy idea-
    Check on your state laws- a simple call to your local courthouse will do it :rolleyes:

5. Ktarr1015

Ktarr1015 New Member

I have called the local pd and the courthouse and they didnt know. I have a tn carry permit which allows both and the other day i was stopped by a ga deputy sheriff in civilian clothes @ walmart and he said i had to carry concealed....

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Call the state police.

7. slim325

slim325 New Member

If you carry concealed it would make life easier.carrying open draws to much attention in most places

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud thought-
    I just seriously don't think questions like that should be answered on a forum (even this one :p) Even someone from your own state cud be wrong & you'd be the one to pay for it (mabe dearly) Get info like that 1st hand from the horses mouth ;) Hell, get it in writing if possible - sum LEO's don't know all the laws :(

9. vincent

vincent New Member

You tell us...:cool:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From a previous post on this subject:

In a hypothetical situation where you are open carrying and I'm the bad guy; I'd shoot you first. - cane​

11. clearsights

clearsights New Member

+1
    You lose your tactical advantage in the same hypothetical situation.

12. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I don't know about GA laws. However, I got a CWP to carry a gun concealed. I don't care for open carry in public places for a few reasons.

1. You'll upset the sheeple. They don't know why you've got a gun strapped to your side. It makes them uneasy, and it makes them call the police. Be prepared to deal with an unnecessary hassle.

2. You're going to be challenged by LEOs if they see you. Another hassle you don't need.

3. Most importantly... I carry to protect myself. I feel I have a better chance having the element of surprise. Carrying in the open makes you a target. In a situation you'll be the first person to be shot. Or they will make sure to take you down and relieve you of your gun. It can also make brazen criminals decide to attack you just to get a free gun.

All around it's asking for trouble. But hey, I know a lot of people do it to assert their 2A rights. If you're fine with those potential problems, then go ahead. Just don't go out there looking for a confrontation with a LEO to try and prove a point. I've seen You Tube videos of people like that. It's pretty immature and gives the rest of us a bad name.

13. Ktarr1015

Ktarr1015 New Member

Very good points. I have to admit, i have carried in the open just bc i was "flexin" my 2nd A rights. Majority of the time now its cc. On occasion i carry in the open bc i didnt wanna fight w/the holster. Im tryin to find a comfortable cc holster for my glock 27 and soon i hope to get the xds 45.

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

and my guns are shy, so I have to keep them covered.:rolleyes:

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Handguns are like viaginas ----best covered till put into use :rolleyes:

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

In Mississippi (where I'm originally from) every public library that gets even a single penny of government funding, also gets a complete law library. The updates come out every year in paperback, and every ten years they get a complete new law library in hardback.

Get thee to a local library and check. If they have the code books (Mississippi libraries keep them for state, county, and city), then you can look it up yourself with your own two eyeballs. Make copies of the relevant information.

Then hope you don't come across a criminal with Canebrake's idea while your open carrying. FWIW, I OC myself. Because it's not only legal in Louisiana, but it's also pretty common knowledge, and I haven't found myself in a position yet to be able to pay for the privilege of exercising my infringed rights.

17. DrJason

DrJason New Member

+1 - fully agree with Cane

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

I never found the need to open carry where the "other guy" was intelligent enough to recognize my false sense of power or my lack of manliness. (What'd he say? [​IMG])

Translation: I open carry while hunting.

19. danolator

danolator New Member

If you have a carry permit in GA, you are free to open carry or conceal. I open carry only when walking from my car to the range. Not even the cops give a hoot about that. But all open carry means to me is that if I happen to print when CCW, I ain't gonna get in trouble like one of those sissy states. I agree completely that open carry in the general public is drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and places you at a strategic disadvantage. The end.

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Totally agree. Low profile..low profile..