CCW holy grail...help me find it.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Poink88, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I am really clueless but want to hear opinions on this.

For me (repeat for me), the perfect/ideal CCW must have most of the following:
    - thin (less than 1.25" thick/wide)
    - short (around 6" long)
    - capacity (6 or more)
    - grip (really prefer long enough to still accommodate my pinky, not just up to my ring finger)
    - potent (9mm or > but prefer 9mm for recoil management)
    - weight (not so much a factor for me, the size restriction will reduce this some)
    - manageable recoil (I cannot quantify this but a heavier gun should help)

I know I cannot have it all but want to find the best compromise/mix based on above criteria and my list came down to these.

XDm 3.8 compact
    S&W M&P compact
    Sig 239
    Walther PPS
    Ruger LC9

Comments?

BTW, please avoid the usual, whatever I shoot best response :) ...lets assume I can learn to love and shoot them all great. Thank you. ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The only one I have that's on your list is a Sig P239 - great gun but certainly not tiny. Look at a Kahr CW9 or P9 as well as they're great carry guns...

3. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

You're not clueless. That's a fine 9mm CCW list. I'm with ya' on the pinkie thing. Love my Kahr CW9 which is in the same ballpark RE size/weight/quality/price as PPS and LC9 (providing all is well on the LC9 new-issue issue). You might want to give it a look too. The single-stack 9's are great for carry IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've tried carrying an XD45, XD9 sub compact and neither worked well for me, they were simply too bulky. Great weapons but too bulky, I find this to apply to the M&P as well as the Sig. I have also played with my SP101 in 357 but haven't found a holster I like for it yet and again, a little bulky around the cylinder.
    A 4" 1911 in 45 has worked better for me then anything. It's thin, 8+1, hard hitting and I can make it disappear in shorts and a t shirt.

NGIB is right about Kahr, they make some great carry guns but they're a little pricey.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger SR9c 9mm, Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Kel Tec P11 9mm. These will need grip extensions.
    Glock 19 9mm, Glock 36 45ACP .
    I carry a P11 or the Glock 36 when I can. I carry a Kel Tec P3AT when I cant carry anything bigger. I got rid of my PF9 and went back to a P11. The P11 is very light, has a lousy trigger but has been extremely reliable. The trigger on mine is about the same as a double action revolver. The Glock 36 is 27 oz loaded 6+1 230 gr 45 ACP. Recoil is not bad for the weight and the trigger is decent. It is easier to shoot then the Glock 23 in 40 S&W for me anyway.
    The XD is a nice shooter. The M&P looks very good but I have not shot one. My wife has the Ruger SR9c but she has not let me shoot it yet. I think she is afraid I might like it and buy another one.

6. Kooter

Kooter New Member

Glock 19. I love mine and its extremely comfortable.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least check the various CZ offerings. Good guns for good prices.
    CZ75 compact
    CZ 2075 RAMI

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Paraordnance C7/45.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you were in wis i would let ya test drive my colt new agent.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Unless they offer a mag extension with a pinky slot, I believe all the weapons on your list are going to come up short, literally, on the grip.

That is one of the biggest problems with the smaller, now you see it-now you don't, pistols.

I noticed that you make no mention of a manual safety and that you haven't ruled out revolvers. (Yes, I checked and this is in the CCW not in Semi-Autos section :p).

I carried a Sig P-229 for years and while it's over your thinness rating at 1.5" I never had any problem with concealment or weight. It does not have a manual safety though, only a decocker, and it is a double stack, so that is where some of the width comes in.

Now I carry a 4.25" 1911 and I can put that thing anywhere. The all steel frame and slide help manage recoil, along with the +P rated spring, and that big .45 round will get someone's attention in a hurry.

Best of luck with your shopping and please keep us in the loop.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

To me the perfect CC weapons are a 1911 in Gov or Commander length. Or something like a 229 Sig Sauer. I just don't like something I can't get my hands full of and expect to control it when things just might be out of control so to speak. Glock 19 fits that size wise. I just do not like the really small pistols. For me it's giving up too much just to make it easier to hide.

To say avoid the what you shoot best is just not healthy logic. You can learn to get better with a weapon but if it's not a good fit then it's just not a good fit. And that can lead to problems that can not be undone. If it's a weapon that might be called upon to save your bacon then things are going to get really crazy in a real big hurry. That is no tine to be needing to concentrate on where your pinky is or if your grip is OK. The reason people say get the best fit is that thing has to go into your hand at a time when time is not on your side. You don't wear pants a size too small. I'd imagine that is for a reason. And most of us don't expect our pants to keep us alive.

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I am aware of that but giving me that as a response won't help me any.

As usual, after all the curve balls are thrown, I am more confused than ever. LOL. Instead of it shrinking, the list just doubled but that is good...the search continues.

What surprised me is the 1911, I never thought they are concealable.

Keep it coming guys and thanks!!!

13. silentghost

silentghost New Member

In MY opinion, you will be hard pressed to find an easier to conceal .45 pistol. Are there lighter ones? Yes, but sexier? NO. :D:

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Eeeewwww!!! :eek: Mental note, never buy a pistol from JD! :rolleyes:

15. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Look at the Kimber Solo. I have one on order.

16. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

May I recommend a Colt Defender New Agent. I'm gearing towards one for another CCW option.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

For a pocket 9mm I would suggest the Kahr PM9 over the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec P11.

18. BobNotBoob

BobNotBoob New Member

CCW in 9mm or larger

I've at least 3 suggestions for you: Ruger SR9c, Kimber CDP Ultra II, Taurus PT-709. I have all three. The Taurus is the thinnest and is a fine pistol...and it's reasonably priced. The SR9c is a BEAUTY! It's not as thin, but is more comfortable and offers both the 10-round short magazine which still supports all four fingers and a 17-round extended mag. The trigger is super. I love this gun. Then, there's the Kimber compact 1911 in .45 caliber. It's actually a little smaller and lighter than the Ruger. Pricey, but nicey!!

In a smaller caliber, I ALWAYS carry a DiamondBack .380 in my back pocket with a Talon holster and frequently carry a Sig P238 on my belt when when one of the larger guns will be obtrusive. I've tried carrying my Ruger SP101 in .327 FedMag, but it's a bit bulkier and doesn't give me as many shots as all the others. Still, the caliber is excellent and the revolver is fantastic.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep in mind that light guns in heavy calibers recoil a lot. Shoot what you can control. It is better to hit something with a lighter caliber than miss with a heavier caliber. I find I can control a 27 oz loaded 9mm better than I can control a 27 oz loaded 45. I can keep both in a 5" circle at 7 yds but it is easier and faster with the 9mm. My 19 0z loaded 9mm is about the same as the heavier 45 to control. A better trigger would help here. It is a Kel-Tec P11 and their trigger mostly stink.
    The Sig 238 is a lot nicer to shoot than the P3AT or the LCP.

20. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Good point. If you can, try before you buy. When I shot my P3AT at the range the first time it was pretty bad. Perhaps things would have gotten better with time, but I think that the grip extensions are a must just because the recoil is so bad. Here's the first target I went through @ 12 yards. The really bad groupings are without the grip extensions. The better groupings were after I put the grip extensions on.

[​IMG]

I've added a slip on grip and been to the range quite a bit and now I can keep the groupings really tight @ 12 yards. But it certainly isn't a fun gun to shoot.