CCW done! Next pick out handgun that is best for me

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by lms0033, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lms0033

lms0033 New Member

Now that I have my CCW, I want to pick out a handgun to carry. I LOVE shooting my 22 at the range. Any suggestions for a 22 caliber handgun that I could carry or as a self defense handgun for home?

I am female and I also have a 38 special that I could carry, but a semi-automatic would be something I would like to carry if possible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

There are several threads on the forum that discuss this subject. It may help to browse them to get help with your decision.

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Male? Female? New to the world of shooting? A little more info could help out a bunch. :)

4. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

Most people think 22 is a bad idea for self defense/home defense. Deffneitly better than nothing but if you can handle a 9mm or larger your better off. I recently got a ruger lc9 and love it. I also have a ruger sr22 which is a good 22 and is about the same size. Congrats on getting your ccw

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Congrats!

Yes Congrats & +1 on the LC9. But please go and find a place where you can rent some to try out.....:cool::cool:

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup! You need to find a way to fondle as many different handguns as you reasonably can. You should shoot at least three before choosing one, IMO.

If you are set on a .22LR, maybe you could get one of the Bersa Thunder .22's and then transition to the .380acp version for a larger/more effective projectile. in this way, you would end up with a plinker/practice pistol that uses the usually inexpensive .22LR ammo but handles almost the same as your carry pistol in .380 (9mm short).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...under+22+22+Long+Rifle+3.5"+10+1+Black+Syn+Gr

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...1/Bersa+Thunder+380+.380acp+Duo+Tone,+7+round

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would get with some ranges and rent a couple.

Congrats on getting your CCW. As an instructor, I would encourage that you consider attending more classes.

Don't sell yourself short and limit yourself to certain calibers. I have a niece who weighs just a little north of 100# and she handles the .40S&W and .45ACP caliber firearms with ease. She started her training when she was 12 years old, and now a mother, wife, business owner. I have witnessed her hitting a 2X4 (about 2ft long) 1 out of 2 shots at fifty yards.

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Don't be intimidated by recoil (sometimes called "kick"). It is not the monster some would have you believe. My 5'4, 115-lb wife enjoys shooting her Dan Wesson .44 magnum, has no issue with recoil. There are many handguns out there, with many different characteristics. Probably a .22 is not the best handgun for self defense. There are many easily concealed, semiautomatic "pocket" pistols in caliber .380 ACP, and many in 9MM, that provide good protection if you get training on the use of them, and practice once in a while. Also, lightweight revolvers in .32 H&R magnum, .38 special, .44 special are good so far as defensive calibers go. And the only special consideration for dealing with recoil is that you just need to get a firm grip on the gun, but otherwise relax, and let it recoil. It won't hurt you, and after a little practice, it is fun.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Learn to shoot and control the .38 you have now. It's a great gun to start with and it's a good caliber to carry. After a while with your .38, you'll have the background to shop for your own gun. good luck

10. audiophile

audiophile New Member

The .38 would be a better round but if the .22 is what you are comfortable with for now, by all means carry it. Make sure you have the right ammo. I recommend CCI Velocetors for PD. Make sure you spend plenty of time at the range because shot placement is critical with this caliber.
    To carry a .22 that you are confident with is better than a weapon that you are not. I would rather land 10 shots with a .22 than miss any with a higher caliber.
    Like others have said, don't discount higher rounds, spend time at a range that has firearms to rent and shoot several different models and calibers. Good luck and carry safe!

11. cluznar

cluznar New Member

If you want to carry a .22 I would look seriously at the Bersa Thunder .22 a dependable, accurate gun and easy to conceal. Maybe also look at the Bersa Thunder .380. I have a Thunder .380 and carry it. Also have a Bersa Thunder .32 but they are tough to find.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Anybody who has fired a Kahr (P9, PM9, CM9, K9, etc.) will agree that they really deal well with recoil. 9mm is a great round and all of the Kahrs are REALLY good for concealment. The battery of arms (all the stuff you have to be able to do on the gun to make it go BANG) is really simple for a Kahr and every trigger pull is exactly the same.

Like an LC9, but mo' betta.

13. mahall

mahall New Member

No crime in starting with a 22 CALIBER!! I suggest you start with something comfortable to shoot and carry!! As far as comfort, take your pick, because most Gun company's gear models to the carry craze in today's world!! I found that I need 2 carry guns for my "no excuse not to carry" rule. I carry a Glock 19 and if I just don't feel like strapping the mid size 9 on! I pocket the LCP 380, sweet little pistol that will conceal in anything!! Shoots surprisingly accurate with some range practice!! So I recommend this little 380(LCP). No it's not the ideal caliber but it is the ideal size to help make carrying a gun like putting on your wrist watch!! I found its way to easy to leave bigger guns on the nightstand, especially when running quick errands!! The Ruger LCP is not the only micro 380 made but is probably the most proven and widely owned!! lC9 is a bit bigger and heavier but also a great choice!! Everything is new and exciting to you now, understandable!! But you going to need a bug just to throw in your pocket!! Promise-:)

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Welcome to the ranks of supporters of the second amendment. If you can find a gun shop near you which has a range you may have the opportunity to shoot a few different guns and see what you like. I recently got my CCW and bought a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard in .380 auto. It's small enough for pocket carry, IWB carry, on the belt or in your case, purse or "booby" carry. My wife likes the gun as well. It's light, it has a built in laser, and being S&W, has a lifetime warranty. But as I said, try as many as you can first. And good luck.

15. DrFootball

I would also Add to the last poster's comment: If the Range you go to has a "Club" or clubs that meet there and/or a Membership level, if it's financially affordable, don't hesitate to join! I've been shooting on and off for close to a half century(I just turned 53 yesterday-I'm Middle aged :-( And I LEARN something new every time I Talk to AN RSO or a 'Smith.

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Lets face it. If you confront an intruder in your home - unless he has a bigger gun than you - a .22 will scare the crap out of them. When you shoot at someone they dont know what you are using.

Id look hard at the S&W M&P Shield. Very compact and thinner than the standard M&P series. 9MM would be a very good choice but .22 would also suffice.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/MP_Shield/index.html

Comparison:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Side-by-Side.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

A little more insight into the .22lr and 38 you have now would help a bit. You cshould be able to handle any number of smaller 380's and 9mm pistols from bersa , m&p and kahr with out much of an issue. I have a wife and 2 daughters that carry. Pistol range from a couple taurs TCP 380's when smaller is wanted to bersa 380CC and 38sp +P snubbies. But all have larger pistol they also shot. Just don't carry them. Try a state shooting forum and see if theres other shooters near you that will let you try there pistols

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

One of the guys at my LGS told me the small frame , hammerless, .38/.357 revolvers have been selling like crazy for the last year or so. Small enough to just drop in the side pocket of your cargo shorts and go, with .357, or .38+P, i would think plenty of power.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

While I would always recommend a larger caliber for home defense (i.e. 9mm, 40, 45, etc), I can understand some are not comfortable with it.

That said, if you are depending upon the 22 to save your life; make sure you have those in a revolver. The 22lr rimfire is notoriously unreliable. Most people don't make a big deal out it, because the round is typically used for fun. If a round fails to fire in a revolver, you just pull the trigger again. If a round fails to fire in a semi-auto, you're screwed.

Therefore, I would recommend either the Ruger LCR or Ruger SP101 or the S&W 17 (which I own).

20. DrFootball

My wife would shoot a .22 for Every purpose if she could. But when her "big girl" pants are on it's the LCR 38+P for carry and the SP 101 for HD, and My Dad's 5" Security Six to augment SHTF situations...